Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is Bishop Street / King's Island

• 10-06-2020 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Looking at moving in to Limerick City, but as an outsider I am not overly familiar with the area. Would people recommend this part of the city? I can see in the past there may have been issues in this part of town, is this still the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

It would be as far down the list of places in Limerick I'd choose to live apart from Moyross or Southill, people will say "ah it's grand" but it's not, especially Kings Island. Better than it was a few year ago but given the choice I'd opt to steer clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not too bad - same as anywhere else. I've had friends living there that have damage done to their cars but it could happen anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Best option is to come down and have a look around the place yourself. Drive in, park up and have a stroll around. You'll know then if you'd like to live there or not. It's hard to judge by pics or other people's opinions. Would I live there? No. But again everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Unfortunately there are areas that get a bad name because of a few people who live in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Thanks for the thoughts, the consensus seems to be it's not the worst area, but by no means as safe as others. I've had a look around the area but only during the day. I was more worried about the property and cars being safe overnight, and people walking home late at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

Bishop street, is fine, rented there for a couple of years, with no hassle. Close proximity to the city as well, never had any issues with property or cars, except one time, when I locked myself out, someone drinking in the Triple Crown got into the house for me - and let me in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Bishop street is on Kings Island, but i think when Limerick people refer to the island they think/mean of St Marys park, which is the northerly part of the island. Bishop street along with Nicholas street and surrounding areas are seeing gentrification and a change for the better. Katie Dalys, Bakehouse 22, Treaty City, Get West, Escape rooms and Nellys Corner (before closing) were welcome newish additions to the area, which allowed its potential to be highlighted. More and more visitors and tourists are coming to Limerick and with this area being the medieval quarter, its seeing some benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jenner28

Looking at moving in to Limerick City, but as an outsider I am not overly familiar with the area. Would people recommend this part of the city? I can see in the past there may have been issues in this part of town, is this still the case?

I’ve lived in Kings Island for several years with my mum. Our home was broken in to twice, my mum was threatened in broad daylight with a crowbar, cars have been burnt out along the street, and drug dealers living on either side of us. I would avoid like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not too bad - same as anywhere else. I've had friends living there that have damage done to their cars but it could happen anywhere.

This advice should come with a serious health warning.

I suspect that McLove is trying to be magnanimous and fair minded, but even still when your car has been vandalised and/or stolen for the 12th time in a month or you've have your house broken into and been seriously assaulted McLove will not be there to hold your hand....of this I am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mango Joe wrote: »
    This advice should come with a serious health warning.

I suspect that McLove is trying to be magnanimous and fair minded, but even still when your car has been vandalised and/or stolen for the 12th time in a month or you've have your house broken into and been seriously assaulted McLove will not be there to hold your hand....of this I am sure.

Thanks for speaking for me Mango Joe :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Well after visiting at a few different times I made my mind up and decided against it. Far too many "characters" wandering around, pajama people hanging around, and visible signs of past vandalism.

I do feel that it may change in the coming years, as mentioned there is an element of gentrification visible towards the castle and down by the Locke.

I appreciate everybody's input!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Is Kings Island made up of the area from Balls bridge to the end of St Marys Park and between the Shannon and Abbey rivers or is it from Athlunkard/Bridge Streets to end of St Marys Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

davo2001 wrote: »
    It would be as far down the list of places in Limerick I'd choose to live apart from Moyross or Southill, people will say "ah it's grand" but it's not, especially Kings Island. Better than it was a few year ago but given the choice I'd opt to steer clear.

Mmmmm I wouldn't say that. Nicholas St has improved with the likes of Treaty City brewery opening, people involved with the Locke taking over Katie Daly's and Get West who operate the escape rooms from above Stix Cafe.

But even then you've got Heroin Hill just off Nicholas St (St Francis Place), which a business owner in the local area owns a few houses and doesn't care who lives in them and St Mary's Park has gotten waaaaay worse since the regeneration made a complete **** up of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

mart 23 wrote: »
    Is Kings Island made up of the area from Balls bridge to the end of St Marys Park and between the Shannon and Abbey rivers or is it from Athlunkard/Bridge Streets to end of St Marys Park.

Kings Island is everything inside the bridges, so yes from Baals Bridge to St Mary's Park and between the Shannon and Abbey River.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

mart 23 wrote: »

Kings.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0617/1147984-garda-operation-munster/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

A very historical area.
    Its easy write this from my arm chair but sometimes you think more cctv and more guards in the area would make a huge difference

Advertisement