Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owatrol, Masonry Paint and Wooden Fences

• 10-06-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

Hi all

This company suggest that owatrol can be used with masonry paint to paint wooden fences. Seems interesting and wondered if anyone had any comments to make on it, perhaps tried it before.

Thanks.

https://www.igoe.ie/shop/61/owatrol_eb_/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IMO, timber should never be painted, trapping in the moisture, always use a breathable stain

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As above exterior timber being painted is not ideal . moreso if its painted on all sides.

I think you get away with in on some sheds because the inside is not painted so it can breathe easily. But with fencing you will be painting all sides so i would be going with a stain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Water based paints allow the timber to breathe. EB does nothing to stop this. Never used it on timber, everything is telling me it would be a disaster BUT, I use EB all the time in masonry paints and its a fantastic product. If it was my own fecnce, I would chance it, on a customer's , no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

dok_golf wrote: »
    Water based paints allow the timber to breathe. EB does nothing to stop this. Never used it on timber, everything is telling me it would be a disaster BUT, I use EB all the time in masonry paints and its a fantastic product. If it was my own fecnce, I would chance it, on a customer's , no.

The company makes a good point that pressure treated timber prevents rot, and not water ingress. You still need to protect the wood from the elements.

What paint you suggest for painting new fences? I was thinking something like Sadolin Superdec.

I’ve the added consideration that I won’t be doing the other side of the fence or at least if I did, it’s need to be dirt cheap because this project is expense enough already.

Presume you would EB with masonry paint for the concrete fence posts? And no need for a stabilising primer.

Thanks

The EB is a stabiliser and primer all in one. Just to be sure, I always hit new concrete with a separate stabiliser first anyway. It's quite cheap and will stop the new concrete being too thirsty. You can add in the EB to the first coat thereafter. Superdec is very very good imo. Possibly only beaten by the Sikkens range. I cant remember if they have the same range of colours though.

• Advertisement

The EB is a stabiliser and primer all in one. Just to be sure, I always hit new concrete with a separate stabiliser first anyway. It's quite cheap and will stop the new concrete being too thirsty. You can add in the EB to the first coat thereafter. Superdec is very very good imo. Possibly only beaten by the Sikkens range. I cant remember if they have the same range of colours though.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Can I ask
    - is there a primer for the Superdec?
    - what would you suggest I do for the reverse of the fence. Is it possible to put a cheap stain on that side for protection or just leave it?

Superdec is self priming afaik. If you have knots in the wood, you will prob need to hit them with knotting solution first. Regarding the back, if you aren't worried about appearance, then I would throw on some fence life. Cheap and cheerful and should give you good protection for a few years. Only thing is, when you come to reapply, and you use a power washer first, then the washer will clean unevenly and you won't get the same uniform coverage second time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

been using exterior masonary paint on fencing for years without any issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

karlitob wrote: »
    The company makes a good point that pressure treated timber prevents rot, and not water ingress. You still need to protect the wood from the elements.
    Where I live (east coast) pressure treated wood above ground lasts indefinitely.

If you want to make a fence last longer, make sure it doesn't cover into contact with the ground or plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Owtol is brilliant stuff, I've been using it for years. I'd use the orignal over the one the OP links to https://www.igoe.ie/shop/65/

As a plain wood treatment and not mixed with paint then I'd use textrol https://www.igoe.ie/shop/69/owatrol_textrol_clear/ it soaks in so can't peel off making preparation for recoating really quick and easy.

• Advertisement

been using exterior masonary paint on fencing for years without any issues

Did you paint directly on or use owatrol?

Lumen wrote: »
    Where I live (east coast) pressure treated wood above ground lasts indefinitely.

If you want to make a fence last longer, make sure it doesn't cover into contact with the ground or plants.

Agreed. Doing a large clearance now - both sides.

Superdec is self priming afaik. If you have knots in the wood, you will prob need to hit them with knotting solution first. Regarding the back, if you aren't worried about appearance, then I would throw on some fence life. Cheap and cheerful and should give you good protection for a few years. Only thing is, when you come to reapply, and you use a power washer first, then the washer will clean unevenly and you won't get the same uniform coverage second time around.

Thanks for that.

Definitely not worried about appearance of other side. I just want to make sure that
    - it’s as protected as possible.
    - and that there’s no problem with stain on one side and paint on the other.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Owtol is brilliant stuff, I've been using it for years. I'd use the orignal over the one the OP links to https://www.igoe.ie/shop/65/

As a plain wood treatment and not mixed with paint then I'd use textrol https://www.igoe.ie/shop/69/owatrol_textrol_clear/ it soaks in so can't peel off making preparation for recoating really quick and easy.

Thanks for that. I’m looking to paint one side for the colour - is textrol not a stained oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I’m looking to paint one side for the colour - is textrol not a stained oil.

As I said textrol if you aren't mixing with paint. The downside is cost and I don't think a fence is worth it. There's a clear version as well as a couple of tinted versions.

If you are mixing with masonry paint it will certainly increase the adherence of the paint to the wood. I'd be putting about 25% owtrol in the first coat and at least 10% in subsequent coats.

However I don't think that masonry paint will be flexible enough to stay on the fence. I've not tried it so no idea, I've used owtrol mixed with oil based paints to good effect but a lot of my painting has been on metal (50/50 owtrol and aluminium primer will protect iron really well) so can't be sure. On wood I've used textrol (we have a 30ft x 10ft wood clad extension) and its expensive but very effective. You do need to recoat about every 3 years (probably more if its sheltered) to keep it really good but after the first application you use less but still expensive enough.

Advertisement