Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I setup as Sole Trader?

Options
  • 10-06-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice.
    I have a hobby that is growing it’s own legs so to speak and I am starting to get requests to sell some of my homemade items. I am in full time employment already and expect this side project to bring in a modest amount of money roughly 10k yearly. My main concern is ensuring I am tax compliant and that nothing can come back to haunt me down the line if I decide to call it quits on the side project. What would be the best way to setup? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Derdwerker

icanmunch wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for some advice.
    I have a hobby that is growing it’s own legs so to speak and I am starting to get requests to sell some of my homemade items. I am in full time employment already and expect this side project to bring in a modest amount of money roughly 10k yearly. My main concern is ensuring I am tax compliant and that nothing can come back to haunt me down the line if I decide to call it quits on the side project. What would be the best way to setup? Thanks

Sole-trader if you’re intending to just keep it at the scale that it is now. PLC if you plan on expanding.

Regardless I’d speak to an accountant about it, most will give you a free consultation and will only bill for actual work.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

Derdwerker wrote: »
    Sole-trader if you’re intending to just keep it at the scale that it is now. PLC if you plan on expanding.

Regardless I’d speak to an accountant about it, most will give you a free consultation and will only bill for actual work.

Thanks a mill. I'll get in touch with an accountant and arrange a consultation. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you could do a start your own business course. I did 1 before I set up a business and it really helped. The cost is very low as far as I can remember. I think the one I did was 3 hours every monday from 7 to 10 for 7 weeks.

https://www.localenterprise.ie/Westmeath/Training-Events/Training/Start-Your-Own-Business-Courses/

Advertisement