Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord is selling the house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Unless theres a lease in place, a tenancy can be ended for any reason in the first 6 months.

But not currently as a result of the emergency provisions! Even if it could, it still does not require the tenants to permit viewings. Given the especially onerous provisions in place at the moment would you permit any Tom, Dick and Harriet access to your residence without any element of control?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Marcusm wrote: »
    They have recently taken up occupation, I assume for a 12 month lease. The landlord is not acting with particular good grace. He is precluded by law from issuing a termination notice but asks that they allow people to walk around the home at a point in time where emergency provisions remain in effect and we are all encouraged to minimise the number of people who enter our homes. The landlord is truly trying it on and in the circumstances I would not entertain the prospect of viewings. It’s unlikely that this has come out of the blue and appears to be bad faith given how recently they have taken up occupation.

The tenants are only in the property two months so the landlord is within his rights to issue a termination notice on the 27th June due to current covid legislation. The RTA requirements only commence after the first six months has elapsed.

The landlord is selling so this is one of the grounds for terminating a lease anyway under the RTA.

So you suggest the tenants refuse to work with the landlord and he decides to evict thethem.

Great advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

For everyone’s sake we are not not working the land lord. It’s quite the opposite in fact.I’ve left in a spare key to the auctioneer even. Just wanted to post here as I’m quite naive to all of this and wanted to see if people were in a similar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

skinny90 wrote: »
    For everyone’s sake we are not not working the land lord. It’s quite the opposite in fact.I’ve left in a spare key to the auctioneer even. Just wanted to post here as I’m quite naive to all of this and wanted to see if people were in a similar situation

You are very naive. I wouldn't have left a key with the auctioneer. You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the house and leaving a key with the auctioneer basically indicates that they can come and go as they please.

If you signed a fixed-term lease then you cannot be asked to leave until that term is up, even if the house is sold. Also banks generally don't give mortgages if the house has a sitting tenant unless it's a buy to let mortgage (which means lower LTV and higher interest rates).

You actually have most of the control here - I suggest you start exercising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

House prices are rising again after the drop during the early lockdown.

Those figures cant be right, where are they being sourced from?
    Who pays more in a recession?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Daft published their figures for May, house prices increased after dropping in April.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1146264/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

accensi0n wrote: »
    You seem to be saying that the landlord can just have viewings whenever he wants because he owns the property?

That goes against the information here:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html#ld7acd

"You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home."

"Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency"

little bit of scrolling down would find you:

Obligations of a tenant
    You must:

Give the landlord access (by appointment) for routine inspections

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

johny33 wrote: »
    little bit of scrolling down would find you:

Obligations of a tenant
    You must:

Give the landlord access (by appointment) for routine inspections

That does not extend to viewings though. Viewings are arranged by agreement, the tenant is not obligated to allow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

Dav010 wrote: »
    That does not extend to viewings though. Viewings are arranged by agreement, the tenant is not obligated to allow them.

Yes, the viewings are not specified in the Residential Tenancies Act. They are usually mentioned in the lease. So they better check the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think you should approach your banks and explain the situation just to sound them out, i assume that you have an idea of the asking price?
    Even though you are being naive i think you better keep the landlord onside as there is nothing to be gained by being difficult.
    If you can confirm you be in a position to buy in a year the landlord may want to talk to you.

good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

House prices didn't go up in May, asking prices went up.

Estate Agents have bumped up asking prices, possibly in an attempt to counter the lower offers they're receiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Estate Agents have bumped up asking prices, possibly in an attempt to counter the lower offers they're receiving.

Went up by 0.1% in the month of March.

Still waiting for April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

House prices are rising again after the drop during the early lockdown.

House prices are rising but who is buying? The main two banks lost 200 million last quarter and expect similar this qtr...

People are viewing as they think a bargain might be about but how many are actually firing out precovid money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Dav010 wrote: »
    Daft published their figures for May, house prices increased after dropping in April.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1146264/

Asking prices, that tells you nothing of what is actually happening.
    No one knows for sure where they are going, there may be some increase due to some pent up demand but until we have ppr figures no one can be sure.

OP I wouldn't be letting viewings take place, tbh its bad form of the landlord to sell up so soon after letting, he must have known at the time of letting that he was planning on selling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

They have recently taken up occupation, I assume for a 12 month lease. The landlord is not acting with particular good grace. He is precluded by law from issuing a termination notice but asks that they allow people to walk around the home at a point in time where emergency provisions remain in effect and we are all encouraged to minimise the number of people who enter our homes. The landlord is truly trying it on and in the circumstances I would not entertain the prospect of viewings. It’s unlikely that this has come out of the blue and appears to be bad faith given how recently they have taken up occupation.

I totally agree with this.

I had a similar thing happen to me, except it was a room I was renting and not an entire apartment. I move in and 3 weeks later, the house is being sold and someone I didn't know walked into my bedroom with a weird laser gun thing to take measurements. He was just as mortified as I was to find me in there. I left within a week, and when the 'head tenant' asked me for 3 weeks worth of utility bills on top of my deposit she was keeping, I just blocked her. I later found out that the house was being sold with her remaining as a tenant and she had been subletting at a huge profit. I hope whoever bought the house insisted she pay market rent after.

Maybe some people missed it but we had a little thing called COVID and a lockdown

The constant landlord bashing is very tiresome. They are people as well who have to pay etc, you have no idea and maybe they are struggling and need the cash

I seen no problem with tenants demanding not to be removed from properties during virus, plenty of landlord reduced rent. We are all in this blah blah blah. Then at first sign of an issue it’s back to same screw the landlord....

Honestly you want to be an awful ignorant so and so if you stopped viewing with the way Ireland is at the moment, plenty of properties available to rent as well

cruizer101 wrote: »
    OP I wouldn't be letting viewings take place, tbh its bad form of the landlord to sell up so soon after letting, he must have known at the time of letting that he was planning on selling anyway.

There are an awful lot of stupid people out there that are ignoring this recession that will develop into the biggest depression since the 1930's

So to pre-empt the savvy seller wanting their 15% discount. So its not the same thing as money for houses has risen. There is going to be a lot more blood on the dancefloor before this song is over.

There are an awful lot of stupid people out there that are ignoring this recession that will develop into the biggest depression since the 1930's

Does your crystal ball give tonight’s euro millions numbers?

I can see quite a fast recovery to be honest, this was not like other recessions/crashes where things gradually wound down. Things were actually on the up prior to covid and much of the reasons are still there. Also a large number of industries were not hit that would normally be, many being high paying also and large employers. Construction is still in big demand also and the jobs haven’t gone away and again this was a bit area hit in the last recession.

Does your crystal ball give tonight’s euro millions numbers?

I can see quite a fast recovery to be honest, this was not like other recessions/crashes where things gradually wound down. Things were actually on the up prior to covid and much of the reasons are still there. Also a large number of industries were not hit that would normally be, many being high paying also and large employers. Construction is still in big demand also and the jobs haven’t gone away and again this was a bit area hit in the last recession.

Its the view that Ireland stands alone that is going to make this harder for people who are ignoring the unregulated debt. The correlation between or absence there of between gold and markets and the Fed printing money will make this depression much harder and deeper than 2008. This has nothing to do with the Irish economy, it has to do with unregulated debt in the world economy.

If you see a fast recovery put your money where your mouth is and either buy a house before the second week in November or buy shares in luxury items companies right now.

As for the Lotto/Euromillions? It is a proportional tax on stupidity by the wealthy on the poor.

• Advertisement

johny33 wrote: »
    Yes, the viewings are not specified in the Residential Tenancies Act. They are usually mentioned in the lease. So they better check the lease.

A tenant cannot contract out of his entitlement to quiet enjoyment meaning any such clauses in the lease are unenforceable. I’m still shocked that anyone can consider this to be appropriate behaviour in the circumstances. Irrespective, the tenant seems willing to agree.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Maybe some people missed it but we had a little thing called COVID and a lockdown

The constant landlord bashing is very tiresome. They are people as well who have to pay etc, you have no idea and maybe they are struggling and need the cash

I seen no problem with tenants demanding not to be removed from properties during virus, plenty of landlord reduced rent. We are all in this blah blah blah. Then at first sign of an issue it’s back to same screw the landlord....

Honestly you want to be an awful ignorant so and so if you stopped viewing with the way Ireland is at the moment, plenty of properties available to rent as well

But we’re still in it and I’m not landlord bashing but I do find it all very one-sided especially as it seems they moved in just as the panic ensued. I fully expect the Covid restrictions for terminations to be extended if for no other reason that political infancy, they simply don’t want to be criticised.

But we’re still in it and I’m not landlord bashing but I do find it all very one-sided especially as it seems they moved in just as the panic ensued. I fully expect the Covid restrictions for terminations to be extended if for no other reason that political infancy, they simply don’t want to be criticised.

The full effect of the virus will only start now for the next 6 months, company will only start letting people go now once the lock down is over
    It’s a couple of viewings, hardly the end of the World is it now?

The full effect of the virus will only start now for the next 6 months, company will only start letting people go now once the lock down is over
    It’s a couple of viewings, hardly the end of the World is it now?

Lease terminations I am talking about- I would expect them to extend to October at least meaning the landlord couldn’t hope to effect a sale in any event.

Lease terminations I am talking about- I would expect them to extend to October at least meaning the landlord couldn’t hope to effect a sale in any event.

I can’t see how?

Tenants are dropping lease agreement left right and centre at the moment. So if they can do it then landlord should be allowed as well

I can’t see how?

Tenants are dropping lease agreement left right and centre at the moment. So if they can do it then landlord should be allowed as well

Permit me to introduce you to Part 2 of the Emergency Provisions in the Public Interest (Covid 19) Act 2020. No notice if termination may be delivered during the period and ones due to take effect are delayed. Tenants can agree compromises with landlords and leave their properties but landlord cannot enforce evictions - remember we are all supposed to stay at home.

I’m particularly surprised that anyone would support this guy who is not only acting contrary to the law but is seeking to seek at such a short time after he gave them the property (likely under a 12 month lease but you never know it might have been at will).

It’s not Kansas at the moment, Dorothy.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/act/2/enacted/en/pdf

^^

That was for 90 days,
    Seems as usual some people don’t give a s**t about the landlord then in a few days will be crying because of lack of properties

If you see a fast recovery put your money where your mouth is and either buy a house before the second week in November or buy shares in luxury items companies right now.

The time to buy shares has possibly already passed such as been the recovery. I already have money tied up in investments and the rest I need to keep liquid for a deposit for a selfbuild I’ll be starting this year so couldn’t be investing.

I’ve seen shares in some companies double in value in the last month again after crashing out when things started to go bad. Even look at the likes of Ryanair their share prices is much higher now that it was at times last year.
    As for the Lotto/Euromillions? It is a proportional tax on stupidity by the wealthy on the poor.

I hate that statement “it’s a tax on the poor”. It’s a bit of fun, I do the official euro millions twice a week and have a few bets on number combinations also in the bookies for each draw. If your not in you can’t win.

The time to buy shares has possibly already passed such as been the recovery. I already have money tied up in investments and the rest I need to keep liquid for a deposit for a selfbuild I’ll be starting this year so couldn’t be investing.

I’ve seen shares in some companies double in value in the last month again after crashing out when things started to go bad. Even look at the likes of Ryanair their share prices is much higher now that it was at times last year.

I hate that statement “it’s a tax on the poor”. It’s a bit of fun, I do the official euro millions twice a week and have a few bets on number combinations also in the bookies for each draw. If your not in you can’t win.

You are half right, there is a bit of a recovery going on, but its not real. Come the second week in November as soon as the election is over and regardless of who wins (my money is firmly on Trump), there will be the most devastating depression.

My missus works in a shop and its all the poor people playing scratch cards and the lotto. I used to work with a sad sack who spent all this days and about €80 a week thinking about how to win the lottery.

• Advertisement

^^

That was for 90 days,
    Seems as usual some people don’t give a s**t about the landlord then in a few days will be crying because of lack of properties

And just like the covid unemployment payment and temp wage subsidy I suspect it will be extended. I’m not saying it should or that it is fair and balanced, merely that I expect it will. The govt has no appetite for dealing with evictions it movement if people at this time.

Advertisement