Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

People didn't pay enough attention when US comedians started avoiding the college circuit five or six years ago....

This is the most culturally bland era in my lifetime, nothing that has been created in the last 5 years will be watched, movies, music or tv will be listened to or appreciated by any generation in the future....it will be available in the €2 bargain baskets of stores of the future.

This era is a stain on human creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shaney Boy

On the music front, I doubt Randy Newmans's Rednecks will ever get a airing again. One of the greatest satires of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I love a woman with spirit, Mrs. Fawlty

I do, I do, I do, I do

O'Reilly was a great character.

The episode with the Major talking about the West Indies cricket team.... heads will explode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People didn't pay enough attention when US comedians started avoiding the college circuit five or six years ago....

This is the most culturally bland era in my lifetime, nothing that has been created in the last 5 years will be watched, movies, music or tv will be listened to or appreciated by any generation in the future....it will be available in the €2 bargain baskets of stores of the future.

Wild exaggeration. I know episode IX was hot beetle-ridden dog **** but there’s other stuff out there :)

Overheal wrote: »
    Wild exaggeration. I know episode IX was hot beetle-ridden dog **** but there’s other stuff out there :)

Freinds is the most watched comedy on Netflix...it's 20 years old.

It's no exaggeration, no one gives a f##k about comedies, movies or tv shows infested with this suffocating nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

"Don't mention the war" fawlty towers episode removed by uktv. This is getting daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

You have a point here, im struggling to think of any new comedy shows in the last few years that might last the test of time.

There does seem ro be a lack of creativity new ideas in film and comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Even Owen Jones is saying its gone too far. Owen ****ing Jones :pac:

I think the usual voices are starting to realise that the cancel purge linking with the whole BLM debacle, isn't going to resonate with the general public.

We are seeing a turn. There's rumblings about the Inbetweeners now. That's really going to piss off a large section of the ages 20-40 crowd. Then they'll go for the episode of Father Ted.

As the Great Troopz from Arsenal Fan TV once said "It's turnin blud, ya hear me, its turnin"

mick087 wrote: »
    You have a point here, im struggling to think of any new comedy shows in the last few years that might last the test of time.

There does seem ro be a lack of creativity new ideas in film and comedy.

You can have creativity or diversity, but you can't have both.

The BBC used to make a fortune creating comedy series and selling them to international TV stations, flogging boxsets....Mrs Browns Boys was they're last "Hit".

The movie business is the same, these movies typically flop when they hit the theatres....who knew people have no interest in gender swapping old movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Freinds is the most watched comedy on Netflix...it's 20 years old.

It's no exaggeration, no one gives a f##k about comedies, movies or tv shows infested with this suffocating nonsense.

Oh comedies specifically. I guess I can’t point to any cult classics birthed in the last 5 years. I’d have to think about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I can safely say in my 33 years on this earth I've never felt so detached from the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its all getting ridiculous,people need to start growing a pair of balls and just saying NO.
    Chart-topping US pop group Lady Antebellum have changed their name to Lady A because Antebellum has connotations with the slavery era.
    The Nashville trio have won five Grammys and had seven US top 10 albums, including three number ones.
    The word antebellum is used to refer to the period and architecture in the US South before the Civil War.
    They say they took the name from the architectural style, but are "deeply sorry for the hurt this has caused".
    In a statement on Twitter, they said their eyes had been opened to "the injustices, inequality and biases black women and men have always faced" and "blindspots we didn't even know existed".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

jimgoose wrote: »
    Jaysis! I suppose Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn is Right Out(TM)! :pac:
    I think those books are edited now, certain words have been changed. Daft really because Twain was making a statement about how ridiculous slavery was, he was way ahead of his time.
    I think I heard also that any kindle versions were switched for the new edited version without the owners knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I can safely say in my 33 years on this earth I've never felt so detached from the world.

I feel sorry for the younger generation. At least we had it good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Moghead

A lot of overreacting on this thread, you'd swear you all watch the film every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The middle ground continues to be eroded away by fruitloops.
    The issue isn't the offence Gone With The Wind did or didn't cause. Its the change that "someone" has made to take it from acceptable a week ago to unacceptable today. It didn't get thousands of complaints two days ago, that's for sure.
    Any content like that is of it's time and of it's context.
    I mean then we have Bo Selecta... FFS? Leigh Francis was ridiculing everybody in that series, not only black people.
    Ozzy Osbourne, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jade Goody, Kerry Katona, Davina McCall, numerous X Factor winners, almost everybody in the public eye were given the treatment at the time, and it was damned funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Is there anything to be said for a link to blazing saddles?

Even Owen Jones is saying its gone too far. Owen ****ing Jones :pac:

I think the usual voices are starting to realise that the cancel purge linking with the whole BLM debacle, isn't going to resonate with the general public.

We are seeing a turn. There's rumblings about the Inbetweeners now. That's really going to piss off a large section of the ages 20-40 crowd. Then they'll go for the episode of Father Ted.

As the Great Troopz from Arsenal Fan TV once said "It's turnin blud, ya hear me, its turnin"

Does anyone still really believe this is or was all about BLM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Overheal wrote: »
    “Canceled” ie. They will put a disclaimer ahead of the film that it was a product of its time.

So basically its not being cancelled then? A whole lot of fuss about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I remember people joking about them removing Faulty Towers episodes only yesterday https://www.thejournal.ie/fawlty-towers-uktv-5120911-Jun2020/

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

IMO the seeds for this nonsense were sown a number of years ago when it became fashionable for political leaders to 'apologise' for historical events.

Whether it was the slave-trade the potato famine or some other issue. It may have been well-intentioned but it has fed into the narrative that previous cultures must be judged by the standards of today. The next logical step in this thought-process is to excise the parts of the past deemed to be unacceptable by today's standards.

Any individual or corporation that stands up to this nonsense is being mercilessly targeted on social-media and you can see that there are fewer and fewer willing to stick their heads above the parapets.

It is a dangerous road we are heading down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Gone with the Wind is now a best seller on Amazon https://i.redd.it/laed9yj5oa451.jpg

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

They are learning this rubbish on stupid courses like Social science, gender studies and other stupid courses at universities where rich kids have nothing to do for 4 years but develop mental health problems and blame everyone else for their problems. Put them on real courses like Science and Business and they will be run off their feet.

A lot of science wouldn't agree with their way of thinking. Science deals in facts which they find it hard to understand. Could you imagine them in biology when the topic of sex comes up. There's 96 types of gender, trans women are real women etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mick087 wrote: »
    Fawlty towers dont mention the war removed from UKTV

Should we here in Ireland complain about the Builders episode?

What about the spainish? “He’s from Barcelona, he knows nothing”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Love all the right wing posters losing their minds and calling everyone else "the permenantly outraged" despite not being able to find anyone online calling for private companies to pull shows from their platform.

ted1 wrote: »
    What about the spainish? “He’s from Barcelona, he knows nothing”

What about the loud arrogant american who wanted a waldorf salad.

What about the posh English people on gaumont night, where no working class riff raff was allowed.

All these this characters was over the top ridiculous and IMO bloody funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I remember people joking about them removing Faulty Towers episodes only yesterday https://www.thejournal.ie/fawlty-towers-uktv-5120911-Jun2020/

Leftist facism continues.

Leftist facism continues.

Id disagree id call it the idiotic middle class once again thinking they know whats best.
    10 years time these so called left activists will be fully payed up members of the UK conservative party and or running daddies company.

Cleese himself said he always got a good reception in Germany, and a guy there said to him once as a joke, "Don't mention the War".

Its one of the most famous comedy catchphrases of all time.

Germans can hardly be described as an oppressed minority.

This is white Europeans making jokes about other white Europeans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cleese himself said he always got a good reception in Germany, and a guy there said to him once as a joke, "Don't mention the War".

Its one of the most famous comedy catchphrases of all time.

Germans can hardly be described as an oppressed minority.

This is white Europeans making jokes about other white Europeans.

The issue isn't with the Germans or the war in that episode.

Its the Majors comments about 'Indians are w-gs, West Indians are n-ggers' that's the problem surely.

A pity it overshadows the best line in the episode.

Major: I took her to see India.
    Basil: India, Major?
    Major: At The Oval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Moghead wrote: »
    A lot of overreacting on this thread, you'd swear you all watch the film every weekend.

I watched it nearly 40 odd years ago as a kid and thought it overlong and fooking boring.
    But it is a fooking principle at stake.

First they started reworking stuff like Noddy, then it was some fooking clowns complaining about Friends and lesbians, then we had all the shyte about Christmas songs, now it is BBC pulling episodes of tv shows because some knobends might get offended.

I think something like "Birth of a Nation" would be pretty offensive, but if some tulips want to waste time watching it I couldn't give a flying fook.
    And if people worry those watching it will be influenced by it, then the ones watching it must be morons and ar**holes to begin with.

We now have situation where people get offended on behalf of other people.

Where does this shyte stop?

We have entered the realm of thought control where we must all have a hive mind, dictated by gobshytes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Its the Majors comments about 'Indians are w-gs, West Indians are n-ggers' that's the problem surely.

The main joke in that scene was that Major Gowan relates the story of the time his lady companion at the Oval kept referring to the Indian players as <N-word>s. His reply starts off sounding like he's going to rebuke her for using racist terminology, but what he says is:

"No no, no!" I said, "<N-word>s are the West Indians. These people are <W-word>s!!"

...and it is trouser-wettingly funny. Classic. What I always took from it was that the old coot had no idea he was being horrendously racist, but was always careful to use "correct" terminology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jimgoose wrote: »
    The main joke in that scene was that Major Gowan relates the story of the time his lady companion at the Oval kept referring to the Indian players as <N-word>s. His reply starts off sounding like he's going to rebuke her for using racist terminology, but what he says is:

"No no, no!" I said, "<N-word>s are the West Indians. These people are <W-word>s!!"

...and it is trouser-wettingly funny. Classic. What I always took from it was that the old coot had no idea he was being horrendously racist, but was always careful to use "correct" terminology.

Jaysus fook ing ch*** on a bike.
    We are now having to explain jokes to people on here.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Gone with the Wind is now a best seller on Amazon https://i.redd.it/laed9yj5oa451.jpg

Frankly my dear I don't give a damm

Gourmet Night

Bail:
    This is the new menu.

Colonal Hall:
    Duck with Orange.
    Duck with cherries
    Duck surprise

Mrs Hall:
    Whats duck Surprise?

Basil:
    Thats duck without orange or cherries.

Colonal Hall:
    Is this all there is, Duck?

Basil:
    Ermmm yes but then done in 3 extremely different ways.

Colonal Hall:
    Then what do you do if you dont like duck?

Bail:
    Then your rather stuck (Bail Laughs)

This is classic stuff its the one where he thrashes the car with a branch,
    The man should be in broadmoor not running a hotel its hilarious

• Advertisement

2020 should be cancelled :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as along term lover of Hip Hop - I'm wondering when the woke brigade will go for the Chronic - Already that woke bastion Facebook went for 2- Tone and banned people for liking various 2-Tone pages - A couple of days later they copped on that 2-Tone was all about anti-racism (and good music) - As a long term advocate of anti-racism having had some great friends of all background, doesnt matter - if they are good , they are good, and if they are bad, likewise - But these virtue-signalling police have gone beyond the ridiculous - I actually wonder have they ever actually lived in a real multi-cultural world, and maybe should give the Chronic a listen and then re-assess some of this nonsene, that to me seams about just selling more product by over wake Marketing departments and media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

A lot of science wouldn't agree with their way of thinking. Science deals in facts which they find it hard to understand. Could you imagine them in biology when the topic of sex comes up. There's 96 types of gender, trans women are real women etc

Please don't equate the social sciences and hard sciences as being the same thing, they're not. The latter holds a far higher standard.

Certain stand up comedians will have to watch their backs. Bill Burr, Douglas Stanhope etc have always enjoyed getting up the noses of these idiots.

Why has nobody gone after Roy Chubby Brown yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Moghead wrote: »

It's the general trend, not one specific film, to pretend otherwise is to be obtuse.

Even the idea that you would have to put a disclaimer that such a movie was a product of it's time is ridiculous, where do you draw the line exactly? Should we have a disclaimer for every cultural piece of work that was made that is now out of sync with the modern world.Should we put a disclaimer at the start of a history book on the atrocities carried out by the Nazis, or start to censor said atrocities, because learning about them might make some people uncomfortable about the ugly nature of humans.

If you really want to.educate people on the wrongs of the past, then do that, educate them. These tv shows were a product of it's time.. to pretend the past does not exist even in a cultural sense is erring into dangerous territory and can have even bigger unintended consequences than you can imagine right now.

The episode of the Major being racist is an interesting watch and is clearly a caricature, parodying racist and sexist attitudes that were common in the 70s. Should we pretend people like this never existed? These attitudes and behaviors did exist and to remove any reference of them is absurd. Racism will not be eradicated by doing this, it's pandering to an extreme ideology that has being given a bigger voice and platform since the advent of the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Live PD is cancelled, i like that show.

First 48 will probably be next.

Better hide the DVD of Life of Brian before the eejits see and cancel that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Have they decided the original Dumbo cartoon as racist yet?For the way the crows were portrayed or is it on the to do list I wonder.

statesaver wrote: »
    Live PD is cancelled, i like that show.

First 48 will probably be next.

Better hide the DVD of Life of Brian before the eejits see and cancel that too.

Life of Brian was banned for years in a number of countries including Ireland for blasphemy.

But there's a good chance that might happen again.

Ah fair enough.

They probably should just bleep out his words or something. Removing probably the best episode seems a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

vetinari wrote: »
    Are you a member of HBO Max, a US based streaming service.
    Nope
    If you are, was that the only way you had to watch Gone with the Wind.
    Nope
    If it was, were you planning to watch it anytime in the next year.
    I wasn't going to, having seen it a couple of times before. Long ago. But I have a hankering to watch it now.
    If any of those are not true, then how is it an irritant to you??
    Why the insatiable appetite to find something to be outraged about?

In what Thesaurus or Lexicon are the words "irritated" and "outraged" synonymous? :confused:

It is an irritant because the assumption is that one can only interpret or be moved by a piece of art, be it a movie, a drama, a novel, a song etc in a way that is acceptable to a modern, vociferous and organised lobby. They (that is whoever convinced HBO to suspend distribution of the movie) clearly think that modern viewers are so stupid that they might be inspired by an 80 year old movie to conclude that slavery was a decent institution or that black people were most fulfilled while in bondage to whites.
    Come off it!!

I have only heard third party suggestions as to what parts of the film offended the complainants but I gather the depiction of slaves having amicable and often influential relations with their masters is deemed to be inaccurate and disingenuous. Assuming that to be a complaint, let us examine it further.

Perhaps the key black character is Mammie, the "house negro" played by Hattie McDaniel who became the first African American actor to receive an Oscar for her performance. She is big, fat, tough and rules the kitchen, and indeed the young white women of the house with a rod of iron. She disapproves of Scarlett O'Hara's designs on Ashley, married to Olivia de Havilland's character and physically prevents her from rushing to greet him on his return from the war. "No black woman would dare do that in practice!" is the implied complaint. "She would be whipped. Go see 12 Years a Slave if you don't believe me!".

Mammie is a competent, industrious and worldly woman, who despite being confined in slavery nonetheless has a strength of character, wisdom about human frailties and sense of humour that makes her a heroic person, in my view.

50 years after McDaniels received the best supporting actress Oscar, the same award went to an actress playing another strong, determined, resourceful, loving but seriously underprivileged woman: Brenda Fricker as Christy Brown's mother in My Left Foot. Women in 1930s Ireland couldn't open bank accounts without their husband's permission, had zero financial support from the state, were forbidden from controlling their fertility and were often confined to being breeding factories for children and had no career prospects beyond raising their families.

Yet that Mrs Brown is the heroine of the film, devoting herself to caring for and nurturing her disabled son despite having almost zero means at her disposal. To admire that character is not to glorify the conditions with which she had to contend any more than admiring Mammie is to infer that slavery must have been OK if it produced women like that.

Both those characters were utterly believable. I bet there were loads of women like Mammie, just as I know there were loads of women like Christy Brown's Ma.

One character, also played by a Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner, whose depiction really did offend my sense of credulity appeared in a much more recent film, 12 years a Slave.

I can believe that there were many beautiful young slave girls that the evil masters brought into their beds for their own sexual gratification.

I can also believe, with a bit more effort, that there may have been some slave women who were the best cotton pickers on their plantations. Women with the strength, stamina and dexterity to be more productive than any of the male slaves.

What I refuse to believe, or at least will raise my eyes to heaven if asked to do so, is that the same woman could perform both roles! There is usually a trade off between those two strengths. Yet that is just what 12 Years a Slave asks us to believe. Presumably the case against slavery would be seriously diminished if the pretty slave girl who warmed the master's bed was useless in the field!

Are we only to be permitted to watch bad films, with unrealistic messages imposing impossible standards on underprivileged people for fear that we might confuse a movie with reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Life of Brian was banned for years in a number of countries including Ireland for blasphemy.

But there's a good chance that might happen again.

Yes "A Clockwork Orange" and "From Dusk 'Till Dawn" too afair. Both for showing & glorifying extreme, nihilistic violence I'd imagine. Maybe/arguably a better reason to actually ban (edit: or 'de-platform') something than blackface or archaic racial stereotypes?

Hasn't hit anything I'd care about yet but if this trend continues it is really confirming me in my old fogey/luddite habits of getting my hands on blu-rays and dvds or cds of things I really like or at least downloading/creating a digital copy and storing it somewhere offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The reality of it is that films etc that are from another era gradually tend to fade away by their own accord anyway. Everything has a natural shelf life. You won't see too many watching films about cowboys and indians anymore. I doubt there was a massive demand for Gone with the Wind for many years either. But ironically it has now been given a new lease of life and a whole new or second time round audience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have they decided the original Dumbo cartoon as racist yet?For the way the crows were portrayed or is it on the to do list I wonder.

Along with a lot of other content on Disney+ they have a line that it includes "outdated cultural depictions" in the description of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I remember as a youngfella watching the simpsons and being blown away at how edgy it was, my teens it was American Pie movies and the copies that followed, then South Park came out and I wondered how far TV and comedy could push the boundaries. I never imagined how far it would have regressed in the 20 or so years since, not only regressing but actively deleting entire series and movies like they never existed.

People say ah shur it’s only one episode of this and one episode of that but this will stifle creativity. I’m not interested in gender swapping roles, politically correct James Bond or queer Star Wars characters...and guess what, nobody else cares either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the younger generation. At least we had it good.

I don't since they're largely the cause of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement