Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding decent routes

Options
  • 10-06-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Since I've come back to biking, it strikes me that one of the big challenges is to find decent routes, away from motorways and other such abominations.

There was a thread on biker.crazies.ie, but it seems defunct, and I don't see one here. In any case, generally, it's hard to find resources that stay put for easy reference.

I found this site - bestbikingroads.com. It seems to have a good few Irish routes on it, with good detail, and it comes with a paid app, so it would be handy on the road. On the downside, some of the entries are dated.

If there isn't a better suggestion, I think it would be a good idea to put routes up there and post here too.

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Just go off on your bike and see where the road takes you.
    That's how you find some beautiful locations and little hidden gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Just go off on your bike and see where the road takes you.
    That's how you find some beautiful locations and little hidden gems.

That's the purist approach. :)

I'm all for it when I'm in the mood, but I've discovered that just avoiding motorways can also bring you some crap roads. I want to cheat and cherry pick. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Itineoman

Used it to navigate to Naples and back again a few years ago. Routes were spot on. But that was on the continent.
    @Japcati - I do this a lot as well but come home with a lot of cow**** on my exhausts. Dodgy at this time of year actually with all the silage going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Where abouts are you? I am sure someone can recommend some roads in your area.

Also, try the photo rally spots. While I wouldn't say the roads they bring you on are biker heaven, they bring you somewhere different you haven't been before.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

zubair wrote: »
    Where abouts are you? I am sure someone can recommend some roads in your area.

Also, try the photo rally spots. While I wouldn't say the roads they bring you on are biker heaven, they bring you somewhere different you haven't been before.

In Dublin, but not really needing direction on roads around here. More further afield -- Donegal, West if/when summer decides to come back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement