Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tyres - different feel?

Options
  • 10-06-2020 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I have a Hyprid Bike, Giant Rapid. 5/6yrs old
    I recently replaced the 2 tyres and one tube (back)
    The orginal tyres were on it. they had a max psi 120
    I generally cycle on country roads around my locality.
    20km-30km 2 - 3 days per week, mostly in spring/summer

The new tyres are Maxxis RE-FUSE 700x 28c chosen by the shop.
    My query is that they feel so much different to my old tyres (dont know what they were-originally on bike)
    It feels much more difficult to cycle, I have more of a feeling of the road surface but dont think they are under inflated?
    the Max psi is 120, Id normally have about 110psi +/-
    I dont like the feeling of soft tyres so I like to have as hard as possible
    Just wondering could there be that much of a different feeling?
    Ive used it about 4 times since the change.
    I dont really want to buy new tyres again

I thought Id get some opinon here first before maybe going back to the shop for a chat.

Or is it possible its my pump?
    I have a giant tower 2 hp/hv, bought about 5/6 years ago.
    Ive always found it difficult to use, always need a second person to hold the connection with the valve when I use it, air escapes or it pops off otherwise.
    can take up to 15 mins to get it right.
    Ive consulted videos to make sure I'm using it properly.
    Ive come to hate having to put air in tyres.
    I have the guage arrow at 120.

any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I wouldnt run a 28c tyre above 100psi.
    Try different pressures eg 95 rear and 90 front and vary it by 5 psi on differnt days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what weight are you? for 25c tyres, a rough rule of thumb is to run at a PSI equivalent to the weight the tyres are bearing. for me, it's a bit over 80KG (well, closer to 85 these days) and i find 80psi is fine.

for 28c tyres, you could probably knock 10psi off the calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Framed10 wrote: »
    ....The new tyres are Maxxis RE-FUSE 700x 28c chosen by the shop.. .... dont think they are under inflated?
    the Max psi is 120, Id normally have about 110psi +/-
    :eek: Way over inflated. 60-80 is enough for a 28 tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Thanks for the replies, to be honest I didnt realise they were over inflated.
    I'll lower it and see how I go.
    Can someone recommend a good pump with a reliable guage?
    As I mentioned the one i have never seems to connect easily to the valve and I dont know how accurate it is either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, the maximum stamped on the tyre wall is the maximum it is rated for, not the optimum for each rider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Maxxis Re-fuse would also be a fairly dead tyre, poor rolling resistance and quite hard. That plus over-inflation is likely to make the experience feel very poor indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Maxxis Re-fuse would also be a fairly dead tyre, poor rolling resistance and quite hard. That plus over-inflation is likely to make the experience feel very poor indeed.

Interesting. It looks like Im stuck with them now unless Im willing to pay out for new ones again :(
    Will try the PSI variation and how that goes.
    Was hoping to increase my average distances over the summer, I hope these tyres dont put me off.

Advertisement