Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fury v Joshua - Daniel Kinahan

Options
  • 10-06-2020 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

Why is there boxing thread in Current Affairs you ask?

Tyson Fury has announced that he will fight Anthony Joshua twice next year, in what may be the most lucrative fight of all time.

And of course, none of it would have been possible without one of Ireland's great success stories, Daniel Kinahan. Bravo, maybe he should return to Ireland for a heroes welcome?

https://twitter.com/BTSportBoxing/status/1270731771471151104?s=19

I contacted one of my local TDs last week in relation to it, the TV broadcasters selling it and the Kinahan involvement but all she could say they can't tell TV what they can and can't show.

BT and/or Sky will be showing the fights and charging €25 for it. Even more so for the pubs. How on earth can politicians actually allow this to be sold in Ireland considering we know where some of the proceeds will be going?

Imagine an American boxer thanking El Chapo for getting a fight sorted. I don't think the Big Man in the White House will be turning a blind eye to it.

The Irish Journalists seem to be active on it. Sky and BT are silent despite the fact that they are aware of the involvement. I will imagine the furore will die down for a while until the fight becomes closer but I think somebody in a governmental position should be asking serious questions of the broadcasters, who will be collecting the PPV fees to distribute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder do a lot of people outside Ireland have much knowledge of Kinahan's record. I know Fury presents himself as a bit of an edgelord, but I can't think he would have been thanking Kinahan so publicly and effusively if he really knew what he was.

I wonder do a lot of people outside Ireland have much knowledge of Kinahan's record. I know Fury presents himself as a bit of an edgelord, but I can't think he would have been thanking Kinahan so publicly and effusively if he really knew what he was.

I couldn’t imagine he gives a toss so long as it’s getting him massive wads of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

So by illegally streaming this I’d be doing my bit to fight crime?

Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

What if Wilder wins the rematch kind of kills the hype for this.

I couldn’t imagine he gives a toss so long as it’s getting him massive wads of cash.

It's not the principle, it's the impact on his public image; does he really want to be seen around the world giving a big shout out to an alleged international crime boss? Same with Eddie Heard an the rest of the guys setting up the fight; do they want to be associated with someone like that? I'm sure the fight could have happened without any Kinahan involvement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

What if Wilder wins the rematch kind of kills the hype for this.

Wilder fight has zero credibility now, even if it is close there is not a chance Wilder gets a decision judges.

Boxing is about as credible as the WWE these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The Dublin headquarters and customer contact centre for Sky Ireland were officially opened by Taoiseach Enda Kenny at the Burlington Plaza.
    The Taoiseach commented "The television, information and communication services provided by companies like Sky have transformed how we learn, communicate and share information".

Should the communities terrorised by the Kinahan Hutch feud march on the headquarters in protest? Should the employees there have a walkout in protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd say that's exactly where Fury was getting his snuff from when he was having those troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Here’s an idea

The govt fund tv ads and full page adverts in the UK and America regarding kinahan and what his background really is

Shame them into shunning him I suppose - at the very least we would break our ass laugh watching the various boxing promoters performing verbal contortions trying to defend him

If that doesn’t work - diplomatic back channel with the Arabs and a dawn raid on the kinahans - “bungled” shoot out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I googled this today after I heard Fury on the radik, and not quite believing it. There were a couple of stories in British tabloids along the lines of "might be a little shady." I had to laugh, since we know he's a lot more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Fury trained in his gym. MTK was set up by Matthew Macklin, a decent British born Irish middleweight with KInahans money. Other fighters have fought out of the gym too

Kinahan set this up before the incident that changed his world. He was trying to move out of drugs into legitimate career in boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm not sure what the point of the announcements yesterday really were, maybe a badly thought-out attempt to give good publicity to DK but there have been no contracts signed by the fighters just an verbal agreement to fight at some point next year if they both win their next fights.

That was going to happen anyway so yesterday's announcement and Fury & Hearn so publicly praising DK's role all seems very strange

RoryMac wrote: »

That was going to happen anyway so yesterday's announcement and Fury & Hearn so publicly praising DK's role all seems very strange

This is why I'm convinced Kinahan's 'backstory' must have been virtually unknown outside Ireland until the last couple of days. I find it hard to believe any halfway decent person (even in the shady world of boxing) would have any dealings with Kinahan if they had any knowledge of the Hutch-Kinahan feud (more accurately described as a Kinahan vendetta against the Hutches tbh...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I honestly felt lost for words when I heard about this story on the news this evening. I think these days just get even more weirder & weirder as the year goes by. With today's announcement being made public; it has just made the inner workings of our world feel even more f*cking insane to live in than it is already imagined. It's like being given a role in a major crime movie but with it being set in the world of reality. It really feels f*cking nuts if you ask me. Although; it's does feel good to say that I won't be watching this fight at all if it ever goes ahead. But hearing about the possible implications after it could be interesting for all to see or hear.

Advertisement