Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some last minute potential for me to get a place through a group I helped out a couple of years ago. Been paying absolutely zero attention to any travel restrictions though, is there anything currently that I'm missing with restrictions due to not anticipating travelling?

Have the double jab for months, do you have to arrange anything else like tests before travelling to Germany at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Currently you only need your Vaccination Cert unless you have been in the West or Border region in the 10 days prior to arrival (how would they know???), if that is the case then you need to fill out a form, but this is ever changing so I'd keep an eye on the requirements. From the Dept Foreign Affairs website:

Travel to Germany from Ireland

• As of 22 August, the Border and West Regions of Ireland are considered “High Risk Areas”. The rest of Ireland is not a Risk Area.
    • If you have NOT been in a High Risk Area of Ireland in the ten days prior to entering Germany, you are simply required to present proof of full vaccination OR proof of recovery from COVID-19 in the last 6 months OR a recent negative COVID-19 test result in order to board a flight to Germany.
    • All travellers to Germany aged 12 or over are obliged to have one of these three proofs, regardless of mode of travel (road, ferry, train etc).
    • If you have been in a High Risk Area of Ireland in the ten days prior to entering Germany, you are required to complete the German Government digital pre-registration form, available, free of charge, here. Travellers must also upload to the digital pre-registration platform their proof of vaccination, proof or recovery, or negative test result. 
    • In addition, travellers from a High Risk Area of Ireland who arrive in Germany on the basis of a negative test result (i.e. who are not fully vaccinated or recently recovered) will have to spend ten days in quarantine immediately after their arrival, which can be terminated with a negative test from the fifth day after entry.
    • Different regulations apply if you have been a Virus Variation area in the 10 days prior to entry. Check here for further details.

Perhaps this is taper madness & paranoia kicking in but has anyone got any comms from the organizers yet? Haven't heard anything since they looked for us to accept the new T&Cs (which I did). Should I be worried???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Was that May 11th? There was an email sent on August 4th (from no-reply@scc-events.com as well), containing information about PCR test/vaccination requirements, check your spam. The information is also covered here: https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/your-registration/registration-information/faq/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yeah got the one on Aug 4th and I accepted the T&C, haven't heard a thing since, no confirmation e-mail. Compared to London where I'm getting almost weekly updates it make you think there is something wrong (as I said - paranoia!!😅)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

They are sending out the registration information and documents this week via email. [This week we will send your starting passes by E-Mail. Please check your spam folder every now and then and don't get nervous if you don't have it today or tomorrow. The process can take a while. You will definitely get your starting passes]

Also they updated the website with the expo details last week. https://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/your-preparation/race-material-pick-up/

Thanks Downtime, got the e-mail this afternoon, no turning back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I will double check this when I actually receive my bib number but its 13144.

Enjoy this week ahead and bring it all next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Am I correct in saying we do not have to fill out any locator forms for Germany before hand, just covid passport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Is there an official app to track runners this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

As far as I can tell that is the case for Germany. Nothing to fill if you have your covid cert. There's some forms to fill if you've been to a high risk areas in the last 14 days. West of Ireland and border regions is designated as high risk but if getting a flight from Dublin I can't see how they can tell if you been there or not.

There is supposed to be one released soon, not on the play store yet

So what are the recommendation for post race beers? Want to avoid the Irish pubs.

On other matters don't look at the weather forcast!!

Looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Live stream is here - https://schoener-fernsehen.com/ARD/

Djemba Djemba like a metronome thru 15k...55:56

Jebuz was flying through 10k, 34:15, but hasn't popped up on the 15k split. Hopefully a timing mat issue...😕

Bekele out the back, maybe 100m, and not looking good thru halfway. Leaders thru in 60:48. Bekele did similar last year, though not as early. Leaders still on WR pace, but slowing.

Djemba Djemba 2:41:32 😎 some run in those conditions

All done. Delighted with a new pb. Felt good until 24km of so, but then was holding on to the dream of 2:40, realised it wasnt happening, then I was thinking of cutting time from my pb.

Shalane Flanagan bounced past at 36km or so, she was doing a complete different sport.

More to follow later, but today was special for many reasons but mainly it was the first without Jerry. We had a little ceremony for his ashes during the week, I was fit to run the marathon right then. He would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

When do entries for the 2022 race open, does anyone know?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

How did you find the heat? Friends who did it all suffered badly in the closing stages

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Congrats on run Djemba djemba.

Conor Duffy from Glaslough Harriers, Monaghan made his marathon debut yesterday in the elite field in Berlin.

Ran 2.22.41 for 24th place.

Not a bad debut.

Bit of a disaster for me, was sick 1 week out so went out conservatively but by 16k my HR was in tempo zone so knew I was in trouble. By 24k I was forced to walk - energy was sapped. It was a long trudge to the finish line from there but at least I was able to take in the sights and atmosphere. A bit dissapointed that a perfect training with nothing to show but I know no matter what I did on the day I was going to struggle, just one of those things!

Have to say it is an amazing marathon and brilliant experience, well worth the entry fee.

Fair play Djemba Djemba, that was some time in that heat. I saw 25 degrees on the timing clocks at one stage so anyone who completed that anywhere close to their goal did an amazing job 👏.

Berlin Race Report

The Plan

February 2020 Seville marathon and achieved Berlin qualifying time. October 2020, Dublin Marathon, Seville 2021, Berlin 2021. As we all know that went out the window.

The training block

Very strange, I was sticking to the plan all along but always waiting for the cancelation email to arrive. The week Frankfurt and Cologne were cancelled one day after the other I thought it was only a matter of time. However, the mail never came so lets get at it. Injury free and no prolonged periods of missed runs really built the base. A week consisted of a long run, a semi long run, two recovery hours @ 5 minute/kms, a tempo run, and two runs anywhere from 12km to 16km.

The week before

A nice week of low mileage. Big focus on rest. I had done most training in the morning up until the last two weeks so I thought it would be better to focus on getting good sleep and bank the rest. On Tuesday night, my last little tempo night, we had a ceremony to spread some of Jerrys’ ashes. A touching and nice tribute to him in a place where he was most happy. To be honest, if I was told the marathon was brought forward to starting 10 minutes later, I would be ready. However it was also important to not get to hyped up to soon.

Also this week, Monday morning, my daughter woke up with a head cold. Despite joking numerous times about checking in to a hotel, she is over the worst of it. The taper madness did set in and at times I was crippled with doubt, I caught the same head cold, my heel is sore, my calf is sore, was it even worth traveling over for. All part of it I suppose.

Friday

Flew to Berlin in the afternoon and headed into the central train station where I met a friend of mine who had already flown earlier that day. Checked into the hotel, great location for the start/finish line. Very close to Tiergarten. A nice Italian restaurant across the street, although their tipping policy was a bit strange. Cash only business and they keep the change. Expensive tip.

Back to the hotel for the night. Turns out the room overlooks one of the main train lines into Berlin. So frequently throughout the night the sound of the train coming and going. Found it hard to get to sleep that night but managed it anyway.

Saturday

Up early, breakfast and off on the train to the expo. Not quite…boarded a train but going the opposite direction. Realised it pretty much straight away so got off at the next stop on back on to a train going the right direction. Also, now there is a third in the group a Swiss runner also looking for the expo. Not quite who is leading who, but we make it to the expo. Out to Templehof Airport. It is a magnificent building. A walk on the old airfield it is amazing the airport is so close to a built-up area. The expo is in a hanger, handy enough getting my number, collecting tee shirts spending some money in on the marathon merchandise. All in all spent about 50 minutes in the expo. Making the way back to the underground I am glad we got there early. The numbers going in to expo are huge.

Back on the underground, stopping off in the supermarket to pick up a few bits and pieces. Look at my step counter…oh oh…big numbers on it very early.

Still a nice little 30 minute run around the start line, Tiergarten area, just trying to make sure I am familiar with the route to take on Sunday. The inline skating race is taking place so a few people milling around. Back to the hotel about 1.30. That’s it on the bed for the rest of the day. I front loaded my walking for the day.

Lying on bed doing a small bit of work, I got a text message from my bank. Fraudulent activity on my card. Check it out, yes it sure is fraudulent activity. Try ringing numerous time but no joy. I gave one more phonecall after dinner but time to focus in then. I had no money left in the account for them to take but also my card is suspended. Revolt here played a blinder.

Speaking of dinner. Another experience. The Italian from Friday night didn’t do reservations, so we booked the next nearest Italian. Which in fairness my reservation was meaningless in this place too. No checking names or anything just point to a table and sit down. Busy place with two waiters. 40 minutes waiting to order. A soup to start and a Bolognese for mains. About 30 minutes later the Bolognese comes out, about to call it a day and go home. Our waiter comes out with our starter. Anyway, we finish our starters and then home to bed. IT’S CHRISTMAS EVE.

Sunday

Christmas Morning and I am looking for a sub 2:40. Up early and bouncing out of bed. Have the breakfast, brought over with me from home. Head off for a warm up, back to Tiergarten but avoid the start/finish line now. It is time to remain calm and not loose the run of myself. So off to a quite part of the garden. Turn on the playlist leaving the hotel, with a few songs lifted from the playlist thread that was on here earlier this year. Buzzin’

Back to the hotel for the finishing touches. Realise I am sweating a lot. It is already very warm. Last few bits done and off we go.

Land down to the athlete entrance area and make my way to the coral about 15 minutes before the start. Coral is busy but not packed. I expect it to get busier but it actually doesn’t get much more busier. It a comfortable coral. Get talking to a runner from Trim. A graphic pops up 16 degrees and 85% humidity.

0-5KM

Bang and we are off. As I said coral was busy but comfortable so not tripping over people at the beginning. Long wide street also helps. I made a conscious effort not to look at my watch until 4km. Early on I notice, my side, the right hand side of the road is in the direct sunlight. The other side is sheltered. I make a move across to the shelter, any bit helps. First 5km done in 18:41. To be honest not much of significance happens here.

5-10km

Again passes by very quickly. Not much to report here. Other than I am comfortable.

10km -15km

Clipping a long nicely still. Towards the 15km I notice my quad is a bit sore. 

15km-20km

See a runner on the ground being attended to. Just a reminder of the drain the marathon can take out of you. 80 seconds ahead of where I should be for a sub 2:40. Still feeling good.

20km-25km

Head through the half way point now at 1:18:30 is. Into a nice group of about 20. One seems to be pacing a female athlete and the rest hanging on for the tow. Nice to have this group. Big group making water stations crazy. Watch a bit of the km markers so only paying attention to the km markers on the course rather than my watch. A clock at every 5km which is nice but also not much good to me as it was a good bit of time before I actually crossed the start line. At this point my 5km splits were still consistent. But, I am also beginning to count how many 5km I have to go. 

25km-30km

Mindset is changing. More thoughts of using up some of that time in the bank. But I know 2:40:00 is becoming a slimmer possibility.

30km-35km

A bit of filling sorry for myself so decide to cop myself on. Still in that group with the pacer and the German athlete. At 32km she is joined by I guess a training partner who is running with here for the last 10km. I start to pull away from them now. No really groups to run with now. Just keep trying for the line.

35km-40km

At about 36km Shalane Flanagan breezes past me. Class act. About 38km, another female athlete passes me by, I recognise this one also. It an Irish athlete who had raced in Kilbeggen in August. Again she glides by me. Turns out it was her debut marathon and ran a 2:40. Grace Lynch one to keep an eye on, in the marathon circuit to come.

40km- Finish

It is hard to believe how quick this kms feel to be clipping by. It is not long before I realise I have only one to go. Before turning on the corner and seeing the Brandenburg gate, a runner comes up and joins me. Turns out its an Irish athlete. He encourages me to the very end, he says we will go together. This gives me a bit of a boost alright. I was coasting he definitely saved me a few seconds. We turn the corner and see the gate. A warning I was given before hand was the finish line is a bit beyond the gate. You can pass through any of the arches but I make a b-line for the centre one. I think of my family back home and head to the finish and the blue carpet laid out. Crossing the line and stopping the clock at 2:41:32. A cut in my pb by about 100 seconds, and I am thrilled. When I stop I stumble a bit, the doctor is there quickly but I give him a thumbs up and off I go.

I see a few runners in Irish vests and have a chat, a common thread through all our races. The heat, the first time over the distance in so long. Make my way through the postrace area chatting to the Irish lads I met. In fairness at this point I would chat to anyone. My nice and close hotel, takes me about an hour to get back to, but I am happy but also craving more.  

Postrace Thoughts

I have three reasons for the drop off. Firstly the heat, two was going out to fast and third was not haven done a marathon since Seville 2020. Not sure how to allot my percentage of responsibility to these factors. I would probably apportion more responsibility to the heat and the time since the last marathon really. This seemed to be a common comment from the people I spoke too regardless of how the they past the first 27km or so.

Back in the hotel, the second phone call would be to Jerry Kiernan, although he would argue he should be first. I probably would have had a missed call from him. He would definitely hammer me for going out in 1:18 and back in 1:23. I won’t go back over the post I wrote when he died. So, I will leave it with still missing him everyday, but especially days like this. Jerry; this was for you.  

Just realised how long this post is. Fair play and thank you for sticking with it. Best of luck to the other Boardsies heading into the marathons over the next few weeks. I look forward to following your stories. Write your own story and make sure it’s a belter. Overall, it was a great feeling to be back at a big event.  

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done, great race & even better report 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bit of a disaster. My calf felt off on the way to the start and completely cramped up at 30km. That has not happened since my first marathon 5 years ago and that was bonking. Was well on track for my 3.07 goal but limped home just under 3.24. Frustrating to cross the line wih plenty in the tank but just would not stop cramping. Some blood tests have shown neglible phosphate levels and lower blood pressure in my leg- I may well have a blood supply issue.

Personally I wasnt bothered by the heat...then again I did spend a week in Majorca end of August where I clocked up over a 110k in 30+ heat.

I made the schoolboy mistake of walking too much- between Friday all day travelling and Saturday I walked over 16 miles. Legs empty on Sunday.

I am only now resurfacing a month later being able to write about it.

Hi everyone. I got an entry into the 2022 Berlin marathon (yay :-) ). Anyone got any recommendations for a hotel? I presume there is advantage in having a hotel that is close to race/start/finish but I imagine they fill up quickly? Will probably go for a few days. Prepared to pay around about €150/night - prepared to go a bit higher for somewhere that is particularly recommended, but would prefer to stay in that budget if possible.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Hi. Does anyone know if there is an option to defer my entry to next year? Had a quick look on the website, but could not see anything obvious. I will look more carefully later, but just thought someone here might know. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Takestan

Hi I sent email in 2021 to the attched Email address

kontakt@scc-events.com

Got reply to fill out a questionnaire form and they sent code for 2022 registration process Took few weeks to reply

Hope this email helps

Advertisement