Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Reclaiming' a back garden - advice please!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't drink! :p
    The plan is to cut the trees down and dig out the roots. :pac:

Probably need one after digging out those tree roots.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

macraignil wrote: »
    Probably need one after digging out those tree roots.
    Good luck!

Ignorance is bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Consider three levels. Not totally flat levels, just three less steep levels, that you can mow once in a blue moon.

Prune & relocate the trees to the back level. Plant wild flowers around the trees, and a small fence to keep them in there.

Two levels remaining should be easy to keep tidy.
    Between the lower wall and house was green but was dug out & concreted - there's a steel shed to the left just out of shot.
    Move the oil tank behind the shed; it sticks out where it is. However, if it has to be there, look at growing an evergreen push in front of it to hide it.
    Small garden at the front of the house. I've no plans to ever use the overgrown garden at the back - just looking to tidy it up.
    I'm sorry, but once you start with the gardening, it'll take root, and you'll grow to like it :pac:

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but once you start with the gardening, it'll take root, and you'll grow to like it :pac:

Please don't even say that!

I didn't expect so many replies and to get so much info from this thread so I'm going to take some time to digest it all over the weekend. So thank y'all!

I've purposely avoided mentioning this because I've already enough to be thinking about, but I've always wanted an apple tree. Could a couple of trees be grown in there or am I best to forget it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

You've mentioned a few times about the trees being close to or hanging over the house.
    It doesn't look that way from your photos.
    Can you take one from a side angle showing the back of the house and trees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry, wasn't sure what you meant :o The back garden is facing South.
    Could a couple of trees be grown in there or am I best to forget it?
    I'd say near the back of the plot would be best for an apple tree; I'd say it'd get the most light back there. Also, apple trees do grow fairly big, so you'd want it away from the house. Finally, they'd help stop soil erosion.

If you flatten an area around the apple tree, put down some gravel, and some steps up to it with wild flowers from the below idea around the steps and tree, it's look nice.
    looksee wrote: »
    Strim it down, do a moss killer if necessary, then sow some wild flower seeds - this rather unlikely looking set up will sort you for best types for your area http://www.wildflowers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It look fine already. Trellis around oil tank with a climbing plant and maybe trip lower branches of the tree to allow more light in to allow more wildflowers to grow. Unless this is your only lawn area, i would really leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

jaffa20 wrote: »
    It look fine already. Trellis around oil tank with a climbing plant and maybe trip lower branches of the tree to allow more light in to allow more wildflowers to grow. Unless this is your only lawn area, i would really leave it alone.

+ 1 for this.

Having a few trees is a lovely thing - definately leave the tree & don’t be listening to that 1950’s thinking about roots and the drive/ house - just not relevant here and that tree is lovely.

What you could do is put a trellis down on the pathway side of the oiltank and grow evergreen honeysuckle or a flowering clematis up against it - just do one side and you won’t have to worry about access for delivery or blocking the refuelling area.

+1 for either seeding wildflowers or leaving it for the wildlife - don’t go putting gravel in it as this will cause you issues when you trim or strim.

You can see from the praks and lawns at the moment how barren and parched they look when we go without rain or have a hosepupe ban - all the areas planted with wildflowers or left for nature look so much better and are kinder to the environment and help the bees/wildlife & birds for feeding.

If you get an apple tree - fabulous idea - just make sure you buy a self pollinating one as otherwise you will have no apples! Just check when you buy - the label should tell you. Some places sell the male and female apple trees that pollinate each other best together but then you need to plan for two apple trees! You could of course do a fruit garden with various fruiting shrubs - raspberries, blueberries, and different varieties or strawberries in planters - would be a really nice way to use the space and a bit of a novelty! I bought a few different varieties of blueberry bushes & raspberries and couldn’t believe the tastes - they were nothing like the dull bland blueberries you buy in shops - amazing & a supereasy experience! You could also add a pear tree or different types of fruit trees - plums have yellow, damsen, etc varieties and they all taste different and bloom/fruit at different times! Could be quite the fun experiment with lots of novelty factor and easy benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I don't drink! :p

7up is a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

You’ve loads of advice!!

Main point is a lawn on that slope is a painful amount of work

Other big point is those trees (at least from your photo) look perfectly salvageable if you want to do that. They are small and bushy and away from house. They are not going to damage the house.

If it was my garden I’d

> prune/thin trees as desired
    > strim the vegetation
    > plant up lower half with shrubs etc maybe a meandering path for access. Don’t be afraid of shrubs. They are far less work than a lawn and there are apps where you can record what you bought and they will remind you if they need any care.
    > plant an apple tree up the back and go for a wilder uncultivated look with wildflowers etc up there.

Personally I would also move the oil tank!

• Advertisement

7up is a drink.
    When are yis calling?

516158.jpg

Brego888 wrote: »
    You've mentioned a few times about the trees being close to or hanging over the house.
    It doesn't look that way from your photos.
    Can you take one from a side angle showing the back of the house and trees?

The edge of the trees just reaches the garden wall which is 12' from the house. I can't get a decent pic that conveys the scene as I'm too close and I'm not going into the neighbour's to take pics of a tree. :pac: They're also about the height of the house (the trees not the neighbours).

A lad doing an unrelated job at the house drew my attention to the trees saying that while they might not be a problem now, what if they get bigger and lean toward the house?

You could of course do a fruit garden with various fruiting shrubs - raspberries, blueberries, and different varieties or strawberries in planters - would be a really nice way to use the space and a bit of a novelty! I bought a few different varieties of blueberry bushes & raspberries and couldn’t believe the tastes - they were nothing like the dull bland blueberries you buy in shops - amazing & a supereasy experience! You could also add a pear tree or different types of fruit trees - plums have yellow, damsen, etc varieties and they all taste different and bloom/fruit at different times! Could be quite the fun experiment with lots of novelty factor and easy benefits.

I grew up in the sticks - next door neighbour at home used to grow fruit & veg in his back garden; strawberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, peas, etc. His growing area probably was no bigger than my back garden but he was mad for gardening.

There was also a commercial raspberry field across the hedge from our back garden and a few orchards within a short distance as well. Needless to say, I ate plenty of fresh fruit when I was young :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Just prune. Cut off the lower branches, see how that looks, if it still looks too overgrown for you or too close to the house, cut off some of the bigger branches nearest to your house. Those trees look great and are probably great for privacy. I have loads of trees that are taller than my house, many 1.5 times the size of the two storey house and they're only around 8m away. Never had an issue with them. You are the one who can see them in person so maybe it doesn't look as well in person and go with your gut. If you feel it isn't worth your time risking it, you can always cut them down and let them sprout out smaller branches. It might not look the best in winter but overtime will improve

Have you considered some hedging along the fences to the neighbours' properties?

Have you considered some hedging along the fences to the neighbours' properties?

Not really. Certainly privacy isn't an issue at the rear of the house. There's only one house either side and, just like me, they don't use their garden for anything. Beyond the back gardens is a large field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya rather than go the whole 'pristine landscaped garden' which would be maintaining non stop. I'd try my hand at getting some food out of it.
    Berry bushes grow easy enough.
    Cherry tomatoes are quick and easy.
    Root vegetables like onions leeks carrots turnips.
    Potatoes are great for conditioning the soil (you might get in quick enough still), just dig a deep hole and cover gradually as they grow.
    I had an old hippy friend with a small enough wild garden, she was into permaculture before it became a thing, which for her was basically throwing down random stuff every year and going foraging for food every now and again. Place looked derelict but she got many meals out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

When are yis calling?

516158.jpg

At least put it in a glass with some ice man!

That looks like a fair slope from the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It does, alright. OP, have you considered sheep? Maybe a small pony?

Was going to wait until the weekend before doing anything but took a notion and got stuck in at the trees this evening. There was more cutting and chopping than I had anticipated and health & safety was questionable at times.

Seems to be a fair bit more light at the back of the house, which is good, but I don't know if it looks like an amateur hatchet job. I'm in 2 minds about chopping down the rest.

I have learned one thing; the garden is too steep to be a proper lawn so that option's out. It's tricky walking up and down never mind with a lawnmower.

kylith wrote: »
    OP, have you considered sheep? Maybe a small pony?

LOL, I like animals, but no.

• Advertisement

Can confirm. Option for lawn is definitely out.

I think you did a great job with the trees. They look a lot less overgrown now and more like you want them to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed about trees. Why not just find someone who will come in twice a year and strim it. I know someone who has a slope like that, though possibly steeper. It was a mess of long grass and gorse. They have been getting it strimmed early summer and autumn for a while now and it is a slightly shaggy but very presentable slope now, quite acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I think it looks beuatiful as it is. I wouldn't change a thing, except perhaps to sow some wildflower seeds and then just leave it to nature.

Do you really want a green desert lawn with no wildlife or anything of interest. That garden as it is supports a lot of insect and bird wildlife, possibly even a few hedgehogs. It is likely a wildlife oasis amidst the adjacent row of green lawn deserts.

If you want to, too, you could strim the grass between the wall and the trees. Everything behind the trees could be left wild with wildflowers, long grass, etc. Your garden looks a lot better than the grass only one on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Personally i'd remove those trees completely, they are nothing of consequence and you already have some cover at the top of the garden (which you could plant up further, do remove the ivy from them while you're at it). You could then enjoy the full benefit of a south facing garden from the house at least.
    If the gardening bug does get to you, terracing as mentioned already is the only way to go, sloping gardens can be transformed into the most wonderful enclosed spaces far better than level ones. I did one a few years ago (unfortunately they're few and far between in Dublin) which i'll post a couple of pics of to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

20130813_131143.jpg

20130829_173406.jpg

Have no idea how to sort that they're upside down sorry.

If the gardening bug does get to you, terracing as mentioned already is the only way to go, sloping gardens can be transformed into the most wonderful enclosed spaces far better than level ones. I did one a few years ago (unfortunately they're few and far between in Dublin) which i'll post a couple of pics of to give you an idea.

I Googled 'terracing' and did see some nice gardens but that's probably more money & hassle than I'd be willing to put into this. I don't know what landscaping costs but I'm sure it's not cheap.

I'm not likely to ever get the gardening bug but just from a quick Google search I can see what could potentially be done with the garden if one was prepared to spend the time & money.

This in particular caught my eye. Absolutely love this...
    image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Looks like something from tellytubbies or the hobbit.. Hideous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Treppen

I Googled 'terracing' and did see some nice gardens but that's probably more money & hassle than I'd be willing to put into this. I don't know what landscaping costs but I'm sure it's not cheap.

I'm not likely to ever get the gardening bug but just from a quick Google search I can see what could potentially be done with the garden if one was prepared to spend the time & money.

image.jpg

Levels Gerry!

tumblr_ncr0jpEkTf1rm4mpho1_1280.jpg

Advertisement