Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 cell seed trays - where to buy?

Options
  • 10-06-2020 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I need to buy some 9 cell seed trays, but unable to find any online suppliers - any suggestions, please.

I have been using and re-using a stock of old trays from previous purchases of annual plants, but it appears that these come only in 6 cell trays these days, and they are not quite as deep as the 9 cell trays. I have found the 9 cell tray to be the ideal size for sowing vegetable seeds etc. etc.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Speak to garden centres, they may have some destined for the wheelie bin. If you're stuck and you'd be willing to consider an alterative, the cardboard cores of toilet rolls work out well: they're deep, easy to fill, you can keep them together with elastic bands, they're biodegradable and can be planted directly into the soil. They don't have a bottom but one can be created with a couple of snips and by folding, or you can keep them all on a tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Egg packets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

+1 for the toilet rolls idea. Very much a novice gardener here but I did that myself for a few things this year, and found they did the trick perfectly.

One small bit of advice is that if you decide to make some cuts in order to fold them in to make a base (like I did), try to make the cuts as even as possible as regards the length of them, so that the finished article will stand as straight as possible.

Advertisement