Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young driver non student quotes.

Options
  • 10-06-2020 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering whks a good company to get a motor insurance quote as an apprenticeship? My heart is broke ringing brokers and not getting a quote or getting an extortionate quote.
    Full clean licence for 5 years
    25 year old male
    No no claims discount/driving experience (overseas the last few years)
    As i understand students get cheaper insurance due to lack of full time employment however the broker i used before emigrating said i have to put down im fully qualified in my chosen trade to get a quote (a lie as well i might add) which there is a fair difference in salary between a year one apprenticeship and qualified tradesman i reckon ill do well to pull in €200 a week at this gig yet im expected to pay near €2k and more for 3rd party F+T on a car 12 years old or spend a few grand more on a newer car to save a couple a hundred on insurance.

Any help appreciated thanks in advance.

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Try Liberty.

The AXA student insurance needs a careful reading of the small print. If you have a claim against the policy mid year, they'll come after you for an increased premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Hi just wondering whks a good company to get a motor insurance quote as an apprenticeship? My heart is broke ringing brokers and not getting a quote or getting an extortionate quote.
    Full clean licence for 5 years
    25 year old male
    No no claims discount/driving experience (overseas the last few years)
    As i understand students get cheaper insurance due to lack of full time employment however the broker i used before emigrating said i have to put down im fully qualified in my chosen trade to get a quote (a lie as well i might add) which there is a fair difference in salary between a year one apprenticeship and qualified tradesman i reckon ill do well to pull in €200 a week at this gig yet im expected to pay near €2k and more for 3rd party F+T on a car 12 years old or spend a few grand more on a newer car to save a couple a hundred on insurance.

Any help appreciated thanks in advance.

There is no quick fix. You have to put in the leg work. Try some of the larger corporate brokers like Aon, First Ireland, Willis or Marsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Avns1s wrote: »
    Try Liberty.

The AXA student insurance needs a careful reading of the small print. If you have a claim against the policy mid year, they'll come after you for an increased premium.

Could never get a quote with liberty ever unless it was sonething extortionate like €5k plus. Im in no way saying ill chance my arm as a student im wondering js there a way i can get it as an apprentice as im earning sweet F of A and thats bot being considered when getting a quote they are assuming im a fully qualified tradesman but even though they think im a tradesman they wont dream of insuring me on a van either.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Could never get a quote with liberty ever unless it was sonething extortionate like €5k plus. Im in no way saying ill chance my arm as a student im wondering js there a way i can get it as an apprentice as im earning sweet F of A and thats bot being considered when getting a quote they are assuming im a fully qualified tradesman but even though they think im a tradesman they wont dream of insuring me on a van either.

Sorry, my 20yr old found the other way around: no-one interested, a few no-quotes, but Liberty did at (reasonable-ish) rate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Tried liberty, came in at just under €2700. Ridiculous money. On a 1248cc engine at that too.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

It gets better, a quote for around the €3k mark along with a €3k excess on it

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Tried liberty, came in at just under €2700. Ridiculous money. On a 1248cc engine at that too.

Have you included 2 extra experienced named drivers? That normally drops their price considerably. Increasing the value of your car for them normally helps so long as you stay within reasonable limits

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Have you included 2 extra experienced named drivers? That normally drops their price considerably. Increasing the value of your car for them normally helps so long as you stay within reasonable limits

Value higher or lower?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Value higher or lower?

Value higher. Don't take the piss like or it might raise a red flag but generally pushing the value up lowers the quote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ask insurer what car to buy. You may be better with 1.0 L car for first few years at least. The name and model and age of car can have a big bearing on the quote.

Adding other named drivers may reduce premium even if they never drive car.

You could consider having no car and move closer to where you need to be. You could be a named driver on another car or policy in order to build your no claims bonus.

If you can't afford the insurance and car costs then you need to be creative or give up the car option.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Ask insurer what car to buy. You may be better with 1.0 L car for first few years at least. The name and model and age of car can have a big bearing on the quote.

You could consider having no car and move closer to where you need to be. You could be a named driver on another car or policy in order to build your no claims bonus.

If you can't afford the insurance and car costs then you need to be creative or give up the car option.

All well and good living in Dublin while us lads down the sticks are forgotten about.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zg3409 wrote: »

A few things:
    1. Insurance companies won't give you the time, and they don't have the knowledge to guide you on car purchase - that's like saying you'd let your house insurer pick where you live
    2. Consider having no car and move closer to.... in the land of Free Houses and Low Rent is it ? And why should you move anywhere ?
    3. If you can't afford...give up the car.... outside of the LaLa land inside the M50, for many people not having a car is not an option. In rural Ireland it's as important as having electricity, water. You cannot survive without it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    A few things:
    1. Insurance companies won't give you the time, and they don't have the knowledge to guide you on car purchase - that's like saying you'd let your house insurer pick where you live
    2. Consider having no car and move closer to.... in the land of Free Houses and Low Rent is it ? And why should you move anywhere ?
    3. If you can't afford...give up the car.... outside of the LaLa land inside the M50, for many people not having a car is not an option. In rural Ireland it's as important as having electricity, water. You cannot survive without it.

Well said. Took out a policy for around the €1400 mark today, still daylight robbery when i was driving a 3.0l petrol car nearly as old as myself and paying tbe equivalant of €12/month for insurance in Australia plus there was no bull**** NCT or high roadtax either fuel was cheaper which even part included a few cent towards third party insurance aswell so youre own policy wasnt a neccessity either.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭zg3409

galwaytt wrote: »
    A few things:

I understand the OP has insurance now, so main issue solved. OP said 1248cc engine, so that creates higher insurance and OP mentions he is considering different cars then its valid to suggest 1.0L and brokers will tell you which car type gives a lower quote for example a Micra 1.0L might be lower than fiesta. Brokers are experts in their field but they often won't try all insurers so let work is required to ring around. You can put different cars into quotes and see prices.

Even job description can be changed legally in some cases to get a much lower quote depending on your job.

OP didn't say that bus, bike, moving, renting wasn't an option, if you don't have the cash you can be creative staying with relatives etc. OP possibly could be named driver or get a motorbike etc. Even fuel costs may be an issue if fuel costs more than OP can afford.

I have biked, car shared, stayed close to college, got bus, picked car with 1.0l engine, got full licence early, was named driver on other policy, added named drivers to policy that don't drive the car. I have used third party no fire no theft insurance. These are all necessary tricks in Ireland where car use is heavily taxed, and insurance can be crazy. I know people that switched car because insurance was crazy for that car.

OP has 3 red flags
    1 Car over 10 years old
    2 Car 'high power' compared to 1.0L
    3 No insured experience in Ireland

Good luck to OP and hopefully next years quote is not too much higher!

Advertisement