Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from politics forum.

Options
  • 11-06-2020 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭

I have been permanently banned from the brexit thread for alleged trolling.
    I have contacted the moderator asking him to reconsider this as I don't believe I have trolled anyone,he refused to reconsider this.
    I was polite and respectful in all my posts and ask this ban to be reviewed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moving this to the Help Desk, as you are not disputing a card or ban.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just checking your record OP, I see you were permanently banned from Politics yesterday. Is it that forum ban you are contesting (as there is little point in contesting a threadban in a forum you are permanently banned from)? If so we can move this back to the Dispute Resolution Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Beasty wrote: »
    Just checking your record OP, I see you were permanently banned from Politics yesterday. Is it that forum ban you are contesting (as there is little point in contesting a threadban in a forum you are permanently banned from)? If so we can move this back to the Dispute Resolution Forum
    Yes,I'm contesting the ban from politics.Apologies for my mistake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Yes,I'm contesting the ban from politics.Apologies for my mistake.

Moved back to DRP then, with amended title to reflect the appeal.

I was wondering if there has been any news on this dispute?

• Advertisement

Apologies RobMc59 - this may have slipped through the cracks due to it first being seen as a threadban. I'll let the CMods know - hopefully one of them can take it ASAP.

I was wondering if there has been any progress with this dispute?

My sincere apologies on this - it shouldn't take this long. I can nudge the CMods again on this, or if you are happy for me to do so, I can take a look at your case in the cold of CMod. You will still be entitled to a review from another admin should you disagree with my findings.

Let me know which you would prefer.

mike_ie wrote: »
    My sincere apologies on this - it shouldn't take this long. I can nudge the CMods again on this, or if you are happy for me to do so, I can take a look at your case in the cold of CMod. You will still be entitled to a review from another admin should you disagree with my findings.

Let me know which you would prefer.

If you could have a look please Mike.
    Thanks Rob.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

RobMc59, I'm so sorry for the delay in seeing this.

I will look into it this evening if mike_ie hasn't had a chance to. I am not around today but will look at it tonight. I'll discuss with mike_ie.

• Advertisement

RobMc59, I'm so sorry for the delay in seeing this.

I will look into it this evening if mike_ie hasn't had a chance to. I am not around today but will look at it tonight. I'll discuss with mike_ie.

Ok,thanks

Hi Rob,

Can you post the PMs between you and the moderator you dealt with, or forward them to me?
    Thanks

Hi Rob,

Can you post the PMs between you and the moderator you dealt with, or forward them to me?
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I`ve forwarded the PMs to you.
    Thanks.

Thank you Rob. Received. I'll have a decision for you tonight.

RobMc59,

Thank you for your patience with this. Sorry it took longer than I thought to work through.

I understand you had a history in the forum of dropping a news link/statement and then not discussing the point. Boards.ie as you know is a discussion forum and a forum like Politics particularly depends on posters engaging in sensible discussion. That's not to say everyone is expected to agree all the time (it is Politics after all!) but if you disagree with something being discussed you need to flesh it out a bit. Put forward reasonable argument. If you are stating something as fact you need to stand by your facts with evidence in the way of links. But, the important thing is you do need to engage in discussion, not just post links.

In saying that, I believe at the time of your ban you were indeed engaging in discussion with other posters. I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were asking genuine questions rather than low level trolling.

In this instance, I am going to lift the ban from Politics, but your thread ban will still stand and that is something you will need to discuss with the Politics moderators.

Bear in mind that Politics is a discussion forum, where discussion is expected. Reread the Forum Charter there again to familiarise yourself with what is expected before you post there again.

Does this seem reasonable to you?

RobMc59,

Thank you for your patience with this. Sorry it took longer than I thought to work through.

I understand you had a history in the forum of dropping a news link/statement and then not discussing the point. Boards.ie as you know is a discussion forum and a forum like Politics particularly depends on posters engaging in sensible discussion. That's not to say everyone is expected to agree all the time (it is Politics after all!) but if you disagree with something being discussed you need to flesh it out a bit. Put forward reasonable argument. If you are stating something as fact you need to stand by your facts with evidence in the way of links. But, the important thing is you do need to engage in discussion, not just post links.

In saying that, I believe at the time of your ban you were indeed engaging in discussion with other posters. I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were asking genuine questions rather than low level trolling.

In this instance, I am going to lift the ban from Politics, but your thread ban will still stand and that is something you will need to discuss with the Politics moderators.

Bear in mind that Politics is a discussion forum, where discussion is expected. Reread the Forum Charter there again to familiarise yourself with what is expected before you post there again.

Does this seem reasonable to you?
    Hi,I appreciate that you believe I was engaging in genuine discussion at the time I was banned.I`m happy you are willing to lift the politics ban. Although I post in other forums I believe I only really post in the brexit thread in politics.Would you be willing to lift the brexit thread ban if I agree my thread ban is for one month from my original ban date (11th June I believe?)Obviously i would have to ensure I made sure I observed the charter and did`nt get myself into that position again.

That is something you will need to discuss directly with the Politics Moderators. I can only deal with the Forum ban here.

You can approach the moderators of the forum and plead your case. If you can acknowledge where your posts may not have met forum guidelines or the standard expected then you may well get a favourable outcome. Although, if your thread ban is lifted, it may come with conditions attached.

I will get your forum ban lifted and you can discuss your thread ban then.

Ban lifted.

Marking this as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement