Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Shortfall When a Housemate Moves Out

Options
  • 11-06-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello, I was looking for some advice about my current situation. I have lived in a 3 bed apartment for about 3 years now. Given the Covid crisis many people have moved out of their apartments and moved back to their family homes ect.

One of my roomates moved out last week so I put the room up on the daft. The market is completely saturated at the moment and I haven't had any enquiries at all. In the past I would normally get at least 100 when putting the room up.

My question is, what happens if I can't cover his rent at the end of the month. I flagged this with the management company a few weeks ago that we will be only able to cover 2/3 of the rent this month if we can't get a tenant in. Lastly I have never signed a lease here so not sure where I stand. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread split

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The usual scenario would be the remaining tenants are responsible for the entire rent.

Occasionally you might find each tenant has an individual arrangement to rent a room from the landlord but that's probably the exception rather than the norm.

If you're only able to cover 2/3 of the rent, under normal circumstances I would expect the landlord/agency to issue a notice of arrears which could ultimately lead to the termination of the tenancy. That would be delayed at the moment by the emergency legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lloyderz wrote: »
    Lastly I have never signed a lease here so not sure where I stand.
    Did you pay a deposit, and if so, to whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

the_syco wrote: »
    Did you pay a deposit, and if so, to whom?

Yes I paid the deposit. The letting management company have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I don’t understand how you didn’t sign a lease and their is a management agent involved. Did you all move in together/ did you secure the apartment from the letting agent? Or did you come in at a later stage to replace someone. Who did you pay your deposit to? Do you pay rent individually or do you pay all together in one payment to the landlord or letting agent? Is the tenancy registered with the rtb? Trying to understand the set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The situation is that if all the residents rent the place as a whole then you owe the full amount every month regardless of whether or not someone moves out.

If you rent it on a room only basis then you owe only your share of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Lloyderz wrote: »
    One of my roomates moved out last week so I put the room up on the daft.

My question is, what happens if I can't cover his rent at the end of the month.

Why are you even considering covering the rent? The roommate is responsible for that cost. He should have found a replacement or paid for the room until the lease is done or he is contractually finished.

Need a bit more info on the lease. Who signed what?

Advertisement