Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Sold Me Expired Goods

Options
  • 11-06-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I found 20 count boxes of Jaffa Cakes on offer for 50 cent at my local Tesco, marked down from 2.00. They had a good 15 or 20 boxes on offer so I grabbed 4. I got home and noticed they were extremely stale. When I removed the yellow reduced sticker, I noticed they had expired in May 2020. The reduced sticker was covering the best before date on every single box. They are inedible. What are my rights? :pac: :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Throw them out to the birds, check the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You should be entitled to a refund, maybe some fresh packets instead. Take them back to the customer service desk and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

I found 20 count boxes of Jaffa Cakes on offer for 50 cent at my local Tesco, marked down from 2.00. They had a good 15 or 20 boxes on offer so I grabbed 4. I got home and noticed they were extremely stale. When I removed the yellow reduced sticker, I noticed they had expired in May 2020. The reduced sticker was covering the best before date on every single box. They are inedible. What are my rights? :pac: :D

Return to shop for a refund I would think.
    The reason they were reduced was the end of shelf life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

High Court proceedings I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Why don't you just bring them back to the shop? I'm sure they'll refund you if you explain you didn't realise that they were selling them at 25% of the original price because they were past or close to past their sell by date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Don’t except less then 100 k compo!!!! Joking aside bring them back and they will be replaced .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

From: https://www.fsai.ie/faq/shelf_life/labelling.html#:~:text=Is%20it%20illegal%20to%20sell,in%20a%20fully%20acceptable%20condition.
    Is it illegal to sell food beyond its ‘best before’ date?

No, there is nothing in legislation that prevents a packaged foodstuff being offered for sale on or after its ‘best before’ date provided that the foodstuff is still in a fully acceptable condition.

However, if the out-of-date stock is to be sold to the consumer, it is strongly recommended to indicate to the consumer that the foodstuffs are past their ‘best before’ date. This will assist in ensuring that the consumer is not misled as to the true nature of the product, which is an offence.

The concealment of the "best before" date suggests that Tesco could be accused of deliberately misleading the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

worth a call to Joe Duffy imo

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Throw them out to the birds, check the next time.

The birds deserve better.

From: https://www.fsai.ie/faq/shelf_life/labelling.html#:~:text=Is%20it%20illegal%20to%20sell,in%20a%20fully%20acceptable%20condition.

The concealment of the "best before" date suggests that Tesco could be accused of deliberately misleading the consumer.

This is what made me post, since I couldn't care less about losing 2 euro. I think the concealment of the expiry date was deliberate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Was it a best before date or a use by date on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

This thread should put an end to the debate of whether they are biscuit or cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Lesson : There are NO Bargains in the Tesco Bargain aisle. Its where the staff dump nearly gone off food damaged packaging and what not. Its a thief of time and energy trying to work out a bargain, just go to Aldi or Lidl on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Email them similar happened to me and I got a gift card back

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

Don't Jaffa cakes always taste stale?

This is what made me post, since I couldn't care less about losing 2 euro. I think the concealment of the expiry date was deliberate.

Doubt it.. Most likely just member of staff was careless when putting reduction stickers on a load of items...then were put on shelf and forgotten about..

Was it a best before date or a use by date on them?

Best before date: 23/05/2020, but they taste bad so I will try to get an exchange with receipt at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Call the team from Suits .... We need to get Lewis Litt on the case.

connected1 wrote: »
    Don't Jaffa cakes always taste stale?

Nope. I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Jaffa cakes I would think would be be best before,.surprised they’re inedible if still sealed.
    still sharp practice though.

• Advertisement

This is why I like boards. Even in a somewhat jokey thread, you can learn something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Is your life this boring that you give a **** about getting .50c refunded

Is your life this boring that you give a **** about getting .50c refunded

I could ask you the same question, coming in here giving snark to a stranger on a message board.;)

Setup a GoFundMe so you can afford the original shelf stock and avoid such a devilish con in the future

Setup a GoFundMe so you can afford the original shelf stock and avoid such a devilish con in the future

My budget doesn't allow for it but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Jaffa cakes are like sex. Even when they're bad they're still pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I made the same mistake with chicken at SuperValu which was replaced without fuss.

The issue is they need to cover the old bar code to avoid the full price being scanned. Staff need to be more careful about not obscuring the full label. It’s just an error and I don’t think there’s anything deliberate about it.

The labels could be better designed tho for this use.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Full Moon, Half Moon, Stewards Inquiry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Best before date is a guide only.Use by is a legal(EU)requirement.There has been talk of removing the best before date stamp from products.Maybe Leo could look into when he is tayshock again(not a caretaker).Phil Hogan could do something when he is head of the WTO,if h doesn't sit on his cake.Bring back to Tesco and gt a refund.

• Advertisement

My budget doesn't allow for it but thanks.

Don't they take the price from the funds raised?

Advertisement