Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Build

Options
  • 11-06-2020 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €600 - 800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Yes, geforce gtx 980 graphics card (will upgrade this down the line)
    SSD Drive but could do with larger drive for storage

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    New Mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Not at moment

8. When are you purchasing? This month

Thinking something along the lines of below:
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor £157.05
    Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory £79.98
    Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case £69.98
    Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply £107

New project to do with my young lad, Any help is apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I've gotten so far,
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
    • Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO motherboard

Looking at these 2 items now, they look ok or should I be looking at something else? :
    DEEPCOOL MACUBE 310, Black, Mid Tower Chassis w/ Tempered Glass Window, 120mm Fan, USB 3.0, ATX/MicroATX/Mini-ITX
    and
    Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550W V2 PSU / Power Supply

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£157.05 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£219.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (£77.25 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£114.45 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£62.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Core GC 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£83.49 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £715.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-14 14:15 BST+0100

If you can wait, the best motherboard to buy would be MSI X570 Tomahawk - same price as the Asus TUF but it's out-of-stock on most sites right now.

Thanks.

I bought the gigabyte AMD X570 AORUS mobo alread unfortunately but got good deal on it. Will look at other bits now. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why are you spending so much on the motherboard. Doesn't make any sense with this budget for a gaming PC.

X570 motherboards are for workstations. You could have got a perfectly viable gaming board for around €50-60.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why are you spending so much on the motherboard. Doesn't make any sense with this budget for a gaming PC.

X570 motherboards are for workstations. You could have got a perfectly viable gaming board for around €50-60.

A320 are not "perfectly viable" you cheapskate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I was wondering the same , I don't think I have ever paid more for the mobo than I did for the cpu . I'm assuming there is a large chunk of ignorance coming from me .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was just about to say this. Seems a shocking waste of money on a limited budget for absolutely zero return.

You could've afforded an A320M or cheap B450M + 3700X for the same money and it'd trounce it all day long.

Or else just saved the money and put it into a great GPU when you upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

Agreed on the overspend with the motherboard. Unless you are a wild overclocker, or need tons of storage options. A basic B450 board (or M320 if you are OK with foregoing 4xxx series processors) is the way to go. Spend money on performance parts like GPU, CPU and RAM.

It's the same with cases, when people spend over 100eur for it when the budget is sub 1k. But of course, we're all different :p

Thanks for comments, i agree, the mobo was an impulse buy when I saw good offer.
    You are guilting me into thinking about putting it up for sale and buy something else! ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

zefer wrote: »
    Thanks for comments, i agree, the mobo was an impulse buy when I saw good offer.
    You are guilting me into thinking about putting it up for sale and buy something else! ��

If you're able to I'd look at selling it and grabbing a decent B450 board will save you at least 100euro. Another option is to way a little until the B550 boards are released, which will give you the latest tech for around 120eur.

The rest could go towards a GPU or just keep the money. Budgets don't always need to be spent! :)

• Advertisement

zefer wrote: »

Well the upside is you have a lot of upgrade options on that board.

You could probably go up to a 16 core ryzen 4000 series down the line as well as having multiple NVME SSD's.

I wouldn't have bought it but now that you have you might as well keep it.

Question, is it better to install brand new os on the nvme ssd drive or just take SSD drive from current pc that already has windows on it and use that as OS drive? And then just use nvme ssd to install games onto?

I'd use the NVME for windows and most programs. Use the slower SSD for games. They don't benefit from the faster SSD really.

Advertisement