Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagulls: Has anything ever been done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not Galway related, but I was in Howth this morning at 6am. The noise, and I mean non-stop, overly loud, screeching noise from the Seagulls was fcuking ridiculous. Completely changed my view of the area. Dunno how anyone gets a decent sleep there at all. Even if you slap some good windows in, they're walking all over the roofs of the houses.

The Drogheda Retail Park have loudspeakers on the roofs of shops (most notably Harvey Norman) playing the noise of predator birds (just sounds like a load of random squawking to me) and it's supposed to deter the seagulls (even though it just sounds like more seagulls). I do think it seems to be of some use, though, as there doesn't seem to be a massive seagull issue there, though I do believe they are smart enough to eventually cop on it's just a speaker.

Galway city centre before the restaurants opened up was similar: they were all yelling "where's my feckin' chips".

Eyre Square carpark has similar speakers. Not sure how effective they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Drogheda Retail Park have loudspeakers on the roofs of shops (most notably Harvey Norman) playing the noise of predator birds (just sounds like a load of random squawking to me) and it's supposed to deter the seagulls (even though it just sounds like more seagulls).

Are you sure that it wasn't just the guy doing the radio ad for Harvey Norman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Not Galway related, but I was in Howth this morning at 6am. The noise, and I mean non-stop, overly loud, screeching noise from the Seagulls was fcuking ridiculous. Completely changed my view of the area. Dunno how anyone gets a decent sleep there at all. Even if you slap some good windows in, they're walking all over the roofs of the houses.

The Drogheda Retail Park have loudspeakers on the roofs of shops (most notably Harvey Norman) playing the noise of predator birds (just sounds like a load of random squawking to me) and it's supposed to deter the seagulls (even though it just sounds like more seagulls). I do think it seems to be of some use, though, as there doesn't seem to be a massive seagull issue there, though I do believe they are smart enough to eventually cop on it's just a speaker.

I think the far side of Ireland's Eye is a huge nesting site for them. You're in their backyard. Leave them be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Where do you think bird flu came from? That's just one of the many diseases particularly pigeons pass on in their droppings.

Who told you that? I'm presuming a pest control company, how many people do you know caught avian flu from pigeons or seagulls in Ireland or anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Who told you that? I'm presuming a pest control company, how many people do you know caught avian flu from pigeons or seagulls in Ireland or anywhere else?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/index.htm

Also some information on the types of disease birds spread.

https://www.massaudubon.org/learn/nature-wildlife/birds/common-bird-parasites-diseases

As you can see birds are in fact the source of bird flu and they spread a lot of other diseases. Alongside this feeding pigeons just inflates the population until it is unsustainable. I am a nature lover and I have bird feeders in my garden, I am meticulous about cleaning them and always washing my hands after handling them. I have hundreds of birds around my garden, I have allocated large spaces to grow completely wild mostly with brambles and trees to facilate birds. I also have fruit bushes and trees that I leave to the birds for food.

There has been a pair of pigeons nesting in a tree close to the house for over 30 years now, not the same ones of course but I do not feed them at all so their population remains balanced.

• Advertisement

Why people feel the need to defend these vermin I’ve no idea, sky rats both of them along with crows and all the trouble they cause in the countryside at least we can shoot crows though or use other means to control them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Release more eagles,,, problem solved

Why people feel the need to defend these vermin I’ve no idea, sky rats both of them along with crows and all the trouble they cause in the countryside at least we can shoot crows though or use other means to control them.

You're confused, I'm not defending feral pigeons, if you ever owned property, particularly in a city you'd really appreciate what a pain they are! I'm just telling the poster that they're not spreading avian flu throughout Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

IMG-8764.jpg

It seems daft that signs are required but it would be no harm to educate people

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/index.htm

Also some information on the types of disease birds spread.

https://www.massaudubon.org/learn/nature-wildlife/birds/common-bird-parasites-diseases

As you can see birds are in fact the source of bird flu and they spread a lot of other diseases. Alongside this feeding pigeons just inflates the population until it is unsustainable. I am a nature lover and I have bird feeders in my garden, I am meticulous about cleaning them and always washing my hands after handling them. I have hundreds of birds around my garden, I have allocated large spaces to grow completely wild mostly with brambles and trees to facilate birds. I also have fruit bushes and trees that I leave to the birds for food.

There has been a pair of pigeons nesting in a tree close to the house for over 30 years now, not the same ones of course but I do not feed them at all so their population remains balanced.

The ones nesting in your tree are most likely wood pigeon, not feral pigeons.

You're going to be ok, you won't catch bird flu from pigeons or seagulls.

• Advertisement

The ones nesting in your tree are most likely wood pigeon, not feral pigeons.

You're going to be ok, you won't catch bird flu from pigeons or seagulls.
    I never stated that pigeons or gulls spread bird flu, But...
    The four diseases that most frequently affect birds that use feeders are: salmonella, trichomoniasis, aspergillosis, and avian pox.

There are three more including lymes disease, along with many various mites and fleas.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I think the far side of Ireland's Eye is a huge nesting site for them. You're in their backyard. Leave them be

I'm 40km away from there (as the Seagull flies). That's a big backyard.

I never stated that pigeons or gulls spread bird flu, But...
    Dude, it's a seagull. Relax your cax
    Where do you think bird flu came from? That's just one of the many diseases particularly pigeons pass on in their droppings.

:pac:

:pac:
    You have a point? or just want to string this out? Feeding birds is not a good idea, do you agree or not?

You have a point? or just want to string this out?

You did state that pigeons and gulls spread bird flu and then said you didn't!! :) String it out if you wish.
    Feeding birds is not a good idea, do you agree or not?

Disagree. I feed songbirds in my garden all year. Here's a link to Birdwatch Ireland's shop. Lots of excellent feeds and feeders that attract various varieties of birds. I recommend Nyger seed and a nyger seed feeder for attracting finches. Amazing looking birds. https://birdwatchireland.ie/shop/

Your garden sounds amazing by the way, love that you let parts of it go wild, really really good idea for the nature, ecology and balance for your space. I do the same, but I don't have the space I reckon you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derekshelvin

You did state that pigeons and gulls spread bird flu and then said you didn't!! :) String it out if you wish.

Disagree. I feed songbirds in my garden all year. Here's a link to Birdwatch Ireland's shop. Lots of excellent feeds and feeders that attract various varieties of birds. I recommend Nyger seed and a nyger seed feeder for attracting finches. Amazing looking birds.

Enjoy.

Just to keep this all on track, but I think you are both misunderstanding each other. I feed garden birds myself during the cold winter weather, just not the large dominating ones that are causing all the issues.

Let's keep this discussion towards coming up with some solutions, I've heard some really good ones and we can try to do something when we have all suggestions on-board.

I think we all agree that we want to live in a cleaner city and the best way forward is for everyone to voice their concerns to local authorities (Gardaí, City Council, City Bins, Barna Waste, owners of buildings used for nesting by gulls) as this is what will make the difference.

Just to keep this all on track, but I think you are both misunderstanding each other. I feed garden birds myself during the cold winter weather, just not the large dominating ones that are causing all the issues.

Let's keep this discussion towards coming up with some solutions, I've heard some really good ones and we can try to do something when we have all suggestions on-board.

I think we all agree that we want to live in a cleaner city and the best way forward is for everyone to voice their concerns to local authorities (Gardaí, City Council, City Bins, Barna Waste, owners of buildings used for nesting by gulls) as this is what will make the difference.

Agreed. I edited my post to make it a little less abrasive, sorry about that.

*derekshelvin and John_Rambo enjoying a bottle or Rosé in derekshelvins garden listening to delightful evening songbirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Storm 10 wrote: »

Nobody has suggested they are not protected Storm, we covered that on page 1. I am not saying to harm them or their nests. But I am suggesting that we put in measures to improve the cleanliness of the city, we are a protected species too and our right to a healthy environment is important as well.

What's going on in Galway has made life much more attractive to large birds than a life of hunting fish around predators. I think they have really adapted to urban life with what is laid out for them each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Maybe if the EU quotas and fushing policies, own own government and BIM financial targets fir profit above the environment ir wildlife wern’t stripping the seas bare they might have chance. Today I watched seagulls in public greens digging for worms to get something to eat - it is absolutely shocking to see wildlife so desperate for food to eat that they will eat chips
    stinking of vinegar or scavenge in rotting bins for fried stale meat. Do you think they would be doing this if we hadn’t stripped their natural food resources bare and made their natural feeding habitats a wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not only have we destroyed their natural food but hard to believe they are now flagged as Red for protection as their numbers are down to such a dangerous level, there is absolutely nothing can be done if you read what I posted its now become a World Wide problem, people are posting here like they should not be allowed to get food in our Cities could you point me in the direction where they can get the food they want to eat, if you were starving what would you do to get food.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pensioner-left-devastated-after-being-fined-150-for-feeding-seagulls-38933674.html

Litter Pollution Act 1997.

Wildlife still needs to be managed. The swans and ducks are not ripping open bin bags, screeching all day and night or spreading their droppings all over the city. I do sympathise with you as I can sense your sympathy for the seagulls but I more so sympathise for the people who are not causing this but have to endure it in the city.

Laws are there to protect birds, as you will both remind me, but laws are also there to protect humans and it is vital that everyone now contacts Gardaí, waste management and City Council to inform them of the local issues that are attracting more large birds and rats.

You will be pleased to hear that I will also contact someone in relation to our overfishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I saw a video of a seagull eating a whole rat in Rome, bloody disgusting ...

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I saw a video of a seagull eating a whole rat in Rome, bloody disgusting ...

Well if they just ate rats I could tolerate them but the problem here is they rip open bin bags and then ATTRACT rats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Don’t get me started on those birds, ppl throwing out their dinners into the road is disgusting, talk about s*****ng on your own doorstep. Car is constantly destroyed in Seagull crap and it’s toxic.

https://ibb.co/9qNvrsM

These binbags are a waste of time. Look at the state of this street yesterday. There should be signs put up around the city, like in others cities such as the one below, warning people against feeding them.

https://ibb.co/k4N6jsj

Also, it's against the Litter Pollution Act 1997
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/limerick-granny-fined-feeding-birds-21444963

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Ye do realise the whole bird situation is a plan by our neighbours in Mayo to drive tourists up north?

https://twitter.com/saoirse_mchugh/status/1284604938551799808?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Ye do realise the whole bird situation is a plan by our neighbours in Mayo to drive tourists up north?

https://twitter.com/saoirse_mchugh/status/1284604938551799808?s=19
    Morons like this make it worse ffs!!!

And that idiot old lady - she should have got a 1000Eur fine!!

Advertisement