Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement iPad

Options
  • 11-06-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I had a 6 month old iPad Air and the screen display started flickering. I took it into Harvey Norman who said that because there was a crack on the screen The Repair centre would say warranty was invalid. I asked them to send it off anyway and see. I got an email from repair centre saying same and did I want a quote. I agreed but a few weeks later they sent me a replacement, withouta quote or any further communication. That was at the start of April and yesterday I got an email saying There was outstanding payment due - if I don’t pay will this likely end up with debt collectors??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Ask them for evidence of you accepting the non-existent quote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

sounds like a misunderstanding alright.

the warranty covers manufacturing faults, and not user damage. therefore a crack in the screen after 6 months would almost never be covered.
    it sounds like they did communicate that point.

You instructed them to give you a quote, that seems to be the general thrust of your point. they had it repaired without speaking with you further. so hence a charge. You do understand that you didnt have 'accidental' damage cover and that there would be a charge to hav it repaired.

Your case it is that you only consented to getting a quote, not the repair itself , and that you would be entitled to know what this charge would be.

Check your correspondence again, hopefully it was in writing/email. higjlight was you did agree to, and then send a formal letter to the repair centre laying out your position.

It may be that you will have to pay if you want to keep the ipad, so you probably want to offer to return it and have your damaged ipad back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Was the cost unreasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Was the cost unreasonable?

This.

if the cost is 80-150€ then to me that would be reasonable. There is no guide so thats 100% my view

If you dont want to pay you could have the repair team take the working screen off. There maybe a labor charge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Would the OP not have had to pay before the repairs were carried out? It seems strange that they would send it back and not a word about payment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

The technician in store quoted me a price for a new iPad - I asked for it to be sent off to repair centre to see whether they would offer anything else. The only email I got then said they would send a quote -, if I’ve decided not to go ahead they would charge €30 to return my old iPad
    That’s what I agreed too and didn’t get any more emails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Truckermal wrote: »
    Would the OP not have had to pay before the repairs were carried out? It seems strange that they would send it back and not a word about payment...

Well yes and no...after the screen repair what if there is other issues?
    at worst if the Op wants the iPad back free of cost, they can take off the New screen and put on old screen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There are plenty of instances of apple replacing ipads and iphones rather than repairing, even if a repair is charged for (and sometimes, cost free especially if the issue was exacerbated by a known preexisting problem).

"That was at the start of April and yesterday I got an email saying There was outstanding payment due - if I don’t pay will this likely end up with debt collectors?"
    > Not a chance. You might get a letter or two, but without any agreement from you there is no basis for collection (and thankfully this country outlaws harassing people for debts that are not provable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Is it a reasonable charge?
    And do you want to keep the iPad?

Advertisement