Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capitol Hill Autonous Zone! I LOVE IT! FREE CAPITOL HILL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I know where DC is. And that is where Capitol Hill is. I also know where Washington state is and where Seattle is. I was even there for a week in 2012. Is there a Capitol Hill in Seattle? I don't know if there is, but I doubt it because it's not the state capital. The Capitol building would be in the state capital which is Olympia.

But yeah, if our Dr Strangelove wants to nuke Seattle to kill protesters then the same argument applies.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3173968001
    In Seattle, a group of peaceful protesters have cornered off several city blocks and established the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone – a sort of protest haven where artists paint murals, speakers discuss topics of racial equity, snacks are handed out for free and virtually no police are in sight.

In Seattle......

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

A mistake? This happens on a regular basis. Maybe they should get the postman to do the raid because these assholes obviously can't get addresses correct. And what's wrong with showing up during the day and knocking on the door, announcing yourself as the police with a warrant and taking it from there?

Mistakes.. medical negligence occurs on a daily basis. should we analyse every incident and determine that the surgeon or doctor was consciously negligent because the patient was a person of colour. if you continuously look for something hard enough, you will find it. A useful analysis would be to examine why the errors occur, across all the population rather than automatically assuming it was racially selective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They made a mistake. To err is human. 99% of times they'd clear the area and realise their mistake. Unfortunately this 1% they received fire from the occupant (as was his right to defend his home) and they returned fire. I don't think they went in with the intention to kill the innocent girl.

They've stopped such warrants now, and hopefully they won't be reinstated

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53021249

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I think you need to read up on what a border is and how they work. Your current understand of them is junior infants level at best.

There is many kinds of borders. There is a border between Dublin and Meath. It doesn't need to be manned. There are no restrictions as to who can cross this border. The laws on both sides are the same.

There is a border between Germany and Austria. There are no restrictions on who can cross it. The laws are different but the language and currency are the same.

There is a border between Germany and Denmark. There are no restrictions on who can cross it. The laws are different The language and currency are also different.

There is a border between North Korea and South Korea. It's nearly impossible for anyone to cross.

Borders are for the most part internationally recognised and they can change over time. They can move (Russia-Ukraine), they can appear (Irish Free State - NI), they can harden (West Germany - East Germany), they can disappear (West germany - East Germany, North Vietnam - South Vietnam, North Yemen-South Yemen).

There's a "border" around this autonomous zone? If my understanding of borders is junior infants level then let's have your professor's explanation of them.

sabat wrote: »
    So you watched that video and determined that I'm the one with Hollywood fantasies, not Raz Simone, because I predicted in an ironically exaggerated way that this will end with those guys being killed? I've seen you mess up threads before with your unusually literal pedantic interpretations of posts-maybe take a minute to think things over before jumping on people. Like, was that other poster seriously calling for a nuclear strike or were they joking?

That poster prefaced his post with "who's joking?"

That usually means someone is serious.

He followed it up with the claim that tactical nuclear weapons had a smaller blast radius. So that tells me that he's actually contemplating the insane scenario.

• Advertisement

There is many kinds of borders. There is a border between Dublin and Meath. It doesn't need to be manned. There are no restrictions as to who can cross this border. The laws on both sides are the same.

There is a border between Germany and Austria. There are no restrictions on who can cross it. The laws are different but the language and currency are the same.

There is a border between Germany and Denmark. There are no restrictions on who can cross it. The laws are different The language and currency are also different.

There is a border between North Korea and South Korea. It's nearly impossible for anyone to cross.

Borders are for the most part internationally recognised and they can change over time. They can move (Russia-Ukraine), they can appear (Irish Free State - NI), they can harden (West Germany - East Germany), they can disappear (West germany - East Germany, North Vietnam - South Vietnam, North Yemen-South Yemen).

There's a "border" around this autonomous zone? If my understanding of borders is junior infants level then let's have your professor's explanation of them.

Did you bing that?

That poster prefaced his post with "who's joking?"

That usually means someone is serious.

He followed it up with the claim that tactical nuclear weapons had a smaller blast radius. So that tells me that he's actually contemplating the insane scenario.

Yes, SharterAlan, I am contemplating the scenario. In fact I have my finger on the button right now. I hope you aren’t in the blast radius. We wouldn’t want to lose one of the worlds great minds as collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Very clear from that article that the zone is a place of peace and love only.

I am sure any transgressions are being carried out by far right groups who have infiltrated the area in an attempt to destabilise the movement.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Because evidence can be destroyed, people being held against their will can be killed, dangerous/desperate people can prepare and arm themselves to open fire on the police standing on the porch,, I'm sure theres many others I can't even think of.

How come it's only in America that evidence can be destroyed and hostages killed? Why do people's logic just fly out the window when it comes to America? Is it because most cop and action movies which are grossly over exaggerated and far fetched are set in America?

How come police forces in other countries (Ireland included) can successfully raid not only the right house but do so without casualties and seize cash, drugs AND guns?

Most of the time it's some neighbour ratting out Kevin the stoner who lives with his girlfriend and has a few fcuking pot plants growing in the backyard. You think he's going to go full "Reservoir Dogs" if the cops show up in the afternoon to arrest him? A SWAT team is needed?

When it comes to policing in America and the methods used people's common sense goes straight out and they revert to ridiculous paranoid delusions that they inherit from Hollywood movies.

The level of fantasy from people who are probably otherwise rational is bizarre when it comes to America.

gibsmedat wrote: »
    Seattle police chief has said rapes, robberies and allsorts of violent acts have been occuring in the area and they are unable to respond.

Do you believe him?

• Advertisement

Is that not discrimination? I thought these people were opposed to discriminating.

The Garda Siochana are not allowed into the grounds of Trinity College either. They have to be invited in if they are needed. Is that discrimination?

All issues are handled by campus security.

A visibly drunk person is not allowed into a bar if it's decided he has had too much. Is that discrimination. Discrimination is the holding of prejudices against someone for reasons they cannot change. Refusing a job to a black person or entry to a restaurant or bar to a gay person or disabled person.

If a cop wants to enter the autonomous zone so badly and feels he's being discriminated against then go hand in your resignation, surrender the old badge and gun, put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and bingo...in you go. If a black guy wants the job and feels he is being discriminated against he can hardly shed his skin and become white now, can he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

Do you believe him?

Why are you cheerleading for this sh*t show?

What do you think is going to be achieved by all this?

OK, so like you I was mistaken when I heard Capitol Hill. Nuking them has the same effect if they are on Capitol Hill DC or Capitol Hill Seattle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

Did you bing that?

No I didn't. Straight out of my head.

OK, so like you I was mistaken when I heard Capitol Hill. Nuking them has the same effect if they are on Capitol Hill DC or Capitol Hill Seattle.

Not really, the White House, Congress, Pentagon are no where near Seattle. Seattle can be written off. Portland also. Full of antifa freaks.

No I didn't. Straight out of my head.

Impressive.

What the f**k am I looking at here?

Mistakes.. medical negligence occurs on a daily basis. should we analyse every incident and determine that the surgeon or doctor was consciously negligent because the patient was a person of colour. if you continuously look for something hard enough, you will find it. A useful analysis would be to examine why the errors occur, across all the population rather than automatically assuming it was racially selective.

When did I mention race? I was talking about ridiculous over the top SWAT raids in the middle of the night against people who whether they are the correct target or not pose little or no threat to warrant such a stupid and dangerous tactic. These raids are conducted against anybody. Black, white, latino, whomever.

And in the case of medical negligence the powers that be usually investigate why the error occurred and try to take steps to prevent it happening again. Did the x-ray technician miss something? Was an underlying condition not tested for or not detected? Was the surgeon drunk? Did the nurse get distracted and overlook high blood pressure or a chronic allergy? These things are investigated and they are hardcoded into future practice.

The SWAT team makes a mistake and does fcuk all about it. They've been killing kids and innocent people in their idiotic raids for decades and still they don't change anything.

Odhinn wrote: »
    They've stopped such warrants now, and hopefully they won't be reinstated

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53021249

And you know what, I'm absolutely dying to see how many cops will now all of a sudden be killed because the oh-so-necessary no-knock warrant has been banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It will be very interesting to see how this social experiment develops.
    Seems fairly benign so far, with reasonable amounts of goodwill on the list of both the authorities and autonomous community.
    Comparisons with Derry are dubious.

Why are you cheerleading for this sh*t show?

What do you think is going to be achieved by all this?

I'm not cheerleading anything. But I admire people who have the courage of their own convictions. Many societal injustices were eventually addressed and rectified as a result of small gestures that morphed into larger movements that eventually forced change for the better. You would be wise to investigate that many of those changes benefited people like you over the course of history despite you sneering at their efforts because you lack the courage that they have.

Civil Rights marches in Northern Ireland.
    Campaigns such as Parliamentary obstructionism led by Parnell and Biggar and boycotts led to the eventual Land Reform in Ireland that was so desperately needed.
    The Suffragettes clogged up cities and refused to work until women were ultimately given the right to vote and someone on here is bleating about discrimination.
    Rosa Parks refused to sit at the back of the bus.
    Lech Walesa's occupation of the Lenin Shipyard in Gdansk.

Some of these small acorns grow into mighty oaks. Some are stamped on and crushed.

But whatever is accomplished by this "sh!tshow" as you like to call it, it's better to light one candle than curse the darkness.

You can't even admit the darkness exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    It will be very interesting to see how this social experiment develops.
    Seems fairly benign so far, with reasonable amounts of goodwill on the list of both the authorities and autonomous community.
    Comparisons with Derry are dubious.

Are you serious ?

There is a rapper called Raz who has installed himself as the local warlord. Walking around with an AK-47.

They have also been extorting "donations" from local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

5555555555 wrote: »

Are you serious ?

There is a philanthropist called Raz who has installed himself as the local peacekeeper. Walking around with vegan sausage rolls

They have also been accepting "donations" from local businesses who believe in the just cause .

Thats not true. That is just the far right led agenda you are being fed.
    I have corrected the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Are you serious ?

There is a rapper called Raz who has installed himself as the local warlord. Walking around with an AK-47.

Alleged by Fox News with no evidence beyond a video of him shoving someone for tagging over someone else's graffiti. The PD confirmed no reports of extortion were made and businesses in situ explicitly denied it

Basically Trump and the Right are presenting it as ISIS taking over a US city.

The Left are presenting it as Barcelona in 1936.

The truth is the city ordered the police to back off and a bunch of people are playing revolutionary, pretending that they carved out their autonomous zone by wading through seas of Fascist blood.

However if it sets an example of a self regulating community with minimal policing required it will show Americans you can eschew excessive policing without the sky falling in.

More likely it will be a well intentioned muddle for the summer that will end sightly messily and be fondly remembered as a bit of craic; inspirational but not sustainable.

And you see that's the level of maturity that eventually surfaces with statists and those who want everyone to kiss the ass of THE MAN.

Always a low-brow, ignorant, frat-boy dig. Put out some image of a skinny effeminate looking guy and make tasteless, childish comments. Why don't you just call the guy a fag?

A real man defends weaklings like him. A coward denigrates him.

If some Navy Seal came out and said "this kid is my fellow man and fellow countryman and anybody who threatens him will have me to deal with" all you armchair locksteppers would shut the fcuk up post-haste.

Impressive.

I've always been interested in history and geography even if it's not my qualification.

Not really, the White House, Congress, Pentagon are no where near Seattle. Seattle can be written off. Portland also. Full of antifa freaks.

I know exactly where they are. I've been to DC as well. When I said the effect will be the same maybe you could substitute Seattle based museums, cultural attractions, neighbourhoods, etc. Microsoft's headquarters close by in Redmond mightn't be too happy about the decision.

Maybe the Puget Sound Navy Shipyard mightn't want the facility decimated either.

Are you serious ?

That is complete and utter bollocks.

• Advertisement

Thats not true. That is just the far right led agenda you are being fed.
    I have corrected the above

They should be for trade description act violations - there is no such thing as a vegan sausage roll.

Advertisement