Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank charges during Covid

• 11-06-2020 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

How do people feel about banks still charging people for online transactions etc during the Covid crisis? Received a bill today which is not a huge amount but should they be charging people during this time but instead helping the people who are their customers?

Just throwing it out there for discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Why wouldn’t they charge? Their costs are still the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Why couldnt we get everything free during Covid? Also, why didnt I get free money too?

Country is a joke hun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

You OK hun? Dm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sabella

As I mentioned in the post it wasn’t major, I wouldn’t struggle to
    pay it but some families might maybe if they have been out of work since March.

A lot of businesses are not accepting cash and this would increase the transactions fees

As I say I was just throwing it out there for a discussion hun to get opinions I don’t have a vendetta towards banks and understand they have costs, just a discussion

You OK hun? Dm me

You’re grand mate

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    If youre getting charged bank charges youre with the wrong bank.

Yeah fair point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why couldnt we get everything free during Covid? Also, why didnt I get free money too?

Country is a joke hun.

I should have expected this from wan of yore lot dat protecs the banks!

Rabble rabble rabble
    6c2ef4b1-921e-4a61-82c0-fe0f47fd7753_screenshot.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Some banks have facilitated payment breaks on mortgage and personal loans, the waiving of 'cash in advance' credit card fees, waiving of interest on unauthorised overdraft fees....etc.

Didnt POS teminals raise from €30 to €50 limit to partially reduce associated fees?

They did make some provisions during Covid.

Some banks have facilitated payment breaks on mortgage and personal loans, the waiving of 'cash in advance' credit card fees, waiving of interest on unauthorised overdraft fees....etc.

Didnt POS teminals raise from €30 to €50 limit to partially reduce associated fees?

They did make some provisions during Covid.

Fair points there, Would it be fair to say increasing the POS limit allows people to pay for more in a transaction but might not necessarily reduce the amount of times they have to use their card on a daily or weekly basis? Buy an item in lidl but then have to pay A bill or pay for petrol on the same card?

I get your point about the mortgages though but could I ask you though how will the mortgages be adjusted or the payments adjusted when people are back in work or in a better position, and I ask that genuinely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Thread moved to Banking & Pensions. Please read the Banking & Insurance & Pensions charter here before posting as you are no longer in After Hours.

• Advertisement

No worries moderator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why are Tesco charging for food during these tough times?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sabella wrote: »
    As I mentioned in the post it wasn’t major, I wouldn’t struggle to
    pay it but some families might maybe if they have been out of work since March.

Any why would think a bank should have to give it's services away free to rather than say your local grocery shop, newsagent etc????

I don’t, as I said I brought this up for discussion, If you read my initial post I asked how people felt about the charges or if the charges should be reconsidered during the Covid crisis as some people may struggle at the moment.

I haven’t criticised any bank or castigated anyone, merely a point for discussion.

Advertisement