Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving Money from Abroad

• 11-06-2020 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭

I have a question about receiving money from abroad, specifically an Asian country. My wife and I are looking into buying a house and her family could send us a fairly significant amount of money to help us. What is the best way to receive this in terms of safety or taxation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SaatanaArctica

By bank transfer and pay the relevant taxes.
    Though if its received from a parent, I think you can get up to 300k tax free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have a question about receiving money from abroad, specifically an Asian country. My wife and I are looking into buying a house and her family could send us a fairly significant amount of money to help us. What is the best way to receive this in terms of safety or taxation?

In terms of cost, avoid using a retail bank for the transfer, people recommend transferwise here a lot.

There are a lot of "remittance transfers" companies operating here for transfers to Asian/African countries, some might do a tranfer "the other way"...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In terms of cost, avoid using a retail bank for the transfer, people recommend transferwise here a lot.

There are a lot of "remittance transfers" companies operating here for transfers to Asian/African countries, some might do a tranfer "the other way"...

Would not recommend it: a large sum of money coming from Asia.... money laundering could see it locked up for months if you've to try and negotiate it over the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thanks for the replies so far. Would we be hit with capital gains tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

What country is it ?
    There is no cash involved is there ? It is money that is in a bank?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks for the replies so far. Would we be hit with capital gains tax?

Not a capital gain. Will it be a gift or a loan?

Advertisement