Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore ankles after back to running...any relate to this?

Options
  • 11-06-2020 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi!

i hope you are all well.
    I am in my early 40's and am trying to get back into running. Just a few kms down the beach or around the park.
    I started off by walking, then jogging for a few minutes... then slowly building up.
    I enjoy it, but start to get sore ankles after about 20 minutes and then am a bit sore and tight, around the ankles for about 2-3 days afterwards.
    Mostly, it is my right ankle... but last time.. my left ankle was a bit sore after running.

I ran and played football in my 20's to mid 30's.
    For the last 15 years I have done a lot of cycling... long hours.. many kms...
    I have a slightly weaker right ankle / tibial tendon... but nothing torn... just a niggle from an old injury.

Do any of you relate to this?
    I am not looking for any physio or medical advice...just feedback on transitioning back to running in your 40's.

I do think from all the cycling, I probably have quite tight calves, hamstrings and glutes... but do a bit of stretching after any exercise..
    Maybe there is a really good stretching routine for ex cyclists you could recommend?

Look forward to any feedback!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Arequipa wrote: »
    Hi!

i hope you are all well.
    I am in my early 40's and am trying to get back into running. Just a few kms down the beach or around the park.
    I started off by walking, then jogging for a few minutes... then slowly building up.
    I enjoy it, but start to get sore ankles after about 20 minutes and then am a bit sore and tight, around the ankles for about 2-3 days afterwards.
    Mostly, it is my right ankle... but last time.. my left ankle was a bit sore after running.

I ran and played football in my 20's to mid 30's.
    For the last 15 years I have done a lot of cycling... long hours.. many kms...
    I have a slightly weaker right ankle / tibial tendon... but nothing torn... just a niggle from an old injury.

Do any of you relate to this?
    I am not looking for any physio or medical advice...just feedback on transitioning back to running in your 40's.

I do think from all the cycling, I probably have quite tight calves, hamstrings and glutes... but do a bit of stretching after any exercise..
    Maybe there is a really good stretching routine for ex cyclists you could recommend?

Look forward to any feedback!

A
    Hi and welcome back to the dark side.
    As a former cyclist it's more like that you quads are tight and not your hamstrings and glutes. Most cyclist I know don't actually use their glutes but use their quads instead. Also there calves as you say are strong but usually lack flexibility, as most don't bring their ankle through full range of motion. Some of the Ankle soreness can come from smaller muscle in the lower limb getting tight due to not being used while cycling, certainly not to any great degree, and there maybe a a period of adjustment.
    Get a foam roller and attack the quads, instead of rolling up and down, just stay on any tight spot you find, until it has eases out. Work slowly from the hip towards the knee on both legs. This could take 10 or 15 mins to do properly. Then do the same for the calves and the front of the shin. This will give you better range of motion. Try mix up the surface you run on, and if you can do some running on grass that will help even better if you can do a little bit barefoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi mate! Thank you for the reply!
    Ah yea... i have big calves and quads and I imagine they are quite tight.
    I have a foam roller alright... I think I bought it in Aldi & i think I used it once!

Is there any short comprehensive stretching routine you recommend?
    It is probably best stretching after warming up...

The day my left ankle was sore... was after a 5km run on dollymount beach in a brutal headwind and the sand was a bit uneven and deep...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Arequipa wrote: »
    Hi mate! Thank you for the reply!
    Ah yea... i have big calves and quads and I imagine they are quite tight.
    I have a foam roller alright... I think I bought it in Aldi & i think I used it once!

Is there any short comprehensive stretching routine you recommend?
    It is probably best stretching after warming up...

The day my left ankle was sore... was after a 5km run on dollymount beach in a brutal headwind and the sand was a bit uneven and deep...

A

Hi,
    The fact that your ankle was sore after running on an uneven surface pretty much cofirm's what I was saying. You use smaller muscle to help your stability and the got over worked.
    You wouldn't have used them too much while cycling as you foot was only rotating with very little lateral movement.
    The Aldi roller is perfect, I don't see any need to get a more expensive one.

As for stretching, I'm not the biggest fan especially of static stretching, as it doesn't have any real neurological cross over to move better.
    Think of this way. You have a tight restricted area within a muscle, the rest of the muscle is loose and supple, when you stretch it do you think the loose/supple area or or tight/restricted area will move.?
    Any stretch you do should have some dynamic movement, start with small movement and slow increase the movement.
    Get on the foam roller in the way I suggested, do it daily and in a few session you will notice a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Here are a couple of handy routines, both focusing on different areas. From a flexibility perspective It’s the best ten minutes you’ll spend each day!

If you’re still cycling them make sure to do a set when you get off the bike.Heel drops on the stairs should also help with the tight calfs.

https://youtu.be/hf4lYSg1XpI

https://youtu.be/cacwri2wio4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Good afternoon!

Ceepo, thanks for that, I will get going on the foam roller..

Found this youtube video yesterday with Dan Martin showing how it is done:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO1VRTv-GJs

Hi Gavlor... thanks mate... I will check out those videos you posted...!

• Advertisement
Advertisement