Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs in Golf

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ceepo wrote: »
    You don't have to be "look ripped"
    Peds don't make you look ripped
    All you need to do is gain power, Peds can help that by allowing you to recover so you can train harder.

The point is the weight gain is very much possible as its absolutely not all muscle. If he put on that much weight and was actually ripped it would be far more suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Rippeditup wrote: »
    I know people who compete in natural bodybuilding and I have competed in power lifting and can tell you now this is possible... he will have a team focusing on him but claiming he is on steroids is a big claim... if he was he would be tested as the changes are large and if he was positive he would lose millions in deals and would be tarnished, why would he do this when already he was close to the top.. he is someone who comes across as obsessive and if this is on his muscle development and power he would invest heavy in all modern ways within the laws of the game...

Tbh I've know idea what is possible when it comes to time frame and weight gain.
    And I agree 100% that if he tested positive would be tarnished and stand to loose millions.
    But he would have to test positive first. And that's the thing. Someone with the financial clout can obviously pay for the right doctor etc to micro dose and stay under any limits. It happens in other sports. Look at Lance, as he said 1000"s of times "I've never tested positive". There are many other examples of this as well.

Golf is a sport that as you say millions are at stake, and humans are willing to break boundaries both for fame and fortune and as such, you have to be open to the idea that some will cross the line. The vast majority of sports have people who cheat from dog racing and equine to athletics and cycling and even baseball which is usually brushed under the carpet. It would be nieve to think that golfers are some how "above" crossing a line.
    Again I'm not saying he or any other golfer is using Peds,

AdamD wrote: »
    The point is the weight gain is very much possible as its absolutely not all muscle. If he put on that much weight and was actually ripped it would be far more suspect

Yes of course it would be "more suspect" but he isn't trying to be a body builder.
    Just look at and strong man competition. They're not exactly ripped, but very very powerful all the same

In regard to testing Usada carried out 5 out of competition last year in golf and no test in competition, which in itself is hard to belive when you consider the amount of competitions held and the money that's at stake. So a total of 5 test.

For reference athletics had over 3000 in total.
    No test at all in Pro boxing or soccer.

https://www.usada.org/news/testing-numbers/2019-testing-numbers-breakdown/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

It seems pretty simple to me.

If the PGA tour/USGA won't go after Patrick Reed when he clearly and obviously cheated on live TV, with millions watching, why would they go after people using PEDs?

They need to look after the obvious stuff first.

However they won't, because money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Rippeditup wrote: »
    I know people who compete in natural bodybuilding and I have competed in power lifting and can tell you now this is possible... he will have a team focusing on him but claiming he is on steroids is a big claim... if he was he would be tested as the changes are large and if he was positive he would lose millions in deals and would be tarnished, why would he do this when already he was close to the top.. he is someone who comes across as obsessive and if this is on his muscle development and power he would invest heavy in all modern ways within the laws of the game...

Its possible, but unlikely

Far easier for a sports star to get a doctor to put you on hrt and have levels at high normal range and feel like a god, passing everything drug test as your just peak natural

Its a huge thing in the states, very normal

Our doctors here think its pseudoscience, a needle, ahhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I think athletics has to test so many because it's so hard to find a clean athlete. Still surprising so few are tested in golf though. People think it's a skill not a power game, but really it's a power game. This is the mistake loads of ams make - that it's a trade-off of power versas accuracy. But it's isn't. Power brings accuracy. So drugs sure help in golf, and with so much dough in the game, especially for the Americans, for who drugs in athletics, us football, cycling etc is so normalised youd have to think lots of the golfers are on the juice too.

JCDUB wrote: »
    It seems pretty simple to me.

If the PGA tour/USGA won't go after Patrick Reed when he clearly and obviously cheated on live TV, with millions watching, why would they go after people using PEDs?

They need to look after the obvious stuff first.

However they won't, because money.

I'd say Patrick didn't get given a hard time because he has such an all round nice guy image, liked by fans and the tour guys so much, you would just have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Or not even doubt him. It would tick off his army of fans too if you went after him....

I think athletics has to test so many because it's so hard to find a clean athlete. Still surprising so few are tested in golf though. People think it's a skill not a power game, but really it's a power game. This is the mistake loads of ams make - that it's a trade-off of power versas accuracy. But it's isn't. Power brings accuracy. So drugs sure help in golf, and with so much dough in the game, especially for the Americans, for who drugs in athletics, us football, cycling etc is so normalised youd have to think lots of the golfers are on the juice too.

I agree that athletics has a ped problem and has done for along time. But usada tests are only carried out in US. 3000 tested in athletics is a lot of test especially when you consider athletics is well down in the order of sports. Maybe golf and others sports don’t have a ped problem because they are not tested. Maybe if they tested more there would be more positive results. At best you'll only catch a % of who are dirty never mind a % of who you test. Also the amount of high level competition/events in athletics on a monthly or yearly basis I would say is a lower than golf.
    Golf pretty much has the top players playing almost weekly for the whole year, as well as the lower level golf competitions.
    I've no idea how many pga events are on every year, but you have a competition in a venue for 4 days almost every week of the year, usually the calendar of events is out well in advance, so that fact that there's no in competition test carried out is a farce.

I've take part in a good few events and spectated at countless others that there was doping control at, some of these were national championships other events that there might be a few elite's taking part in. Events where for the most part there little to no prize money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Golf in my opinion now has a drugs problem until it proves it doesnt

Bryson's muscle gains are not possible without help. Any thinking he has put 20kg weight and only 3-4kg of it is muscle is deluded.

Its as blatent as can be at this stage

With test numbers so low then how did they catch DJ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Golf in my opinion now has a drugs problem until it proves it doesnt

Bryson's muscle gains are not possible without help. Any thinking he has put 20kg weight and only 3-4kg of it is muscle is deluded.

Its as blatent as can be at this stage

With test numbers so low then how did they catch DJ?

DJ was on the bag and banging his colleagues wives. Don't speak in absolutes unless you're going to prove beyond reasonable doubt that bryson hasn't just been benching and eating pies. Because that's all it looks like to me.

DJ was on the bag and banging his colleagues wives. Don't speak in absolutes unless you're going to prove beyond reasonable doubt that bryson hasn't just been benching and eating pies. Because that's all it looks like to me.

They still caught him 3 times according to the rumours!!

And I am telling you that in my opinion, based on my knowledge of weight lifting, Bryson gains look far in excess of what is possible naturally

It has been demonstrated there is little or no testing on the PGA tour. If anyone was going to try make gains, knowing there was no testing, why wouldnt he take a shortcut!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Anyone who thinks that their favourite sport doesn’t have a drug problem must be a darts fan. The type of person who dedicates their life to a sport to win will mostly do anything to win.
    I love golf and rugby but have to admit their is a big drug problem in both. I have heard plenty of stories from past players in both sports about it. Perhaps they are all telling tales but the I really don’t think so. I haven’t seven seen the golfer in question but if it quacks like a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve just seen the player in question and I don’t think he’s taken anything to bulk up, plenty of food, protein and training. If he was ripped with a very low baby fat percentage perhaps but he looks completely normal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

He does not look normal to me. He looks like someone who did A LOT of weights on a diet of cheesecake. He looks almost caricaturesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Ceepo wrote: »
    I agree that athletics has a ped problem and has done for along time. But usada tests are only carried out in US. 3000 tested in athletics is a lot of test especially when you consider athletics is well down in the order of sports. Maybe golf and others sports don’t have a ped problem because they are not tested. Maybe if they tested more there would be more positive results. At best you'll only catch a % of who are dirty never mind a % of who you test. Also the amount of high level competition/events in athletics on a monthly or yearly basis I would say is a lower than golf.
    Golf pretty much has the top players playing almost weekly for the whole year, as well as the lower level golf competitions.
    I've no idea how many pga events are on every year, but you have a competition in a venue for 4 days almost every week of the year, usually the calendar of events is out well in advance, so that fact that there's no in competition test carried out is a farce.

I've take part in a good few events and spectated at countless others that there was doping control at, some of these were national championships other events that there might be a few elite's taking part in. Events where for the most part there little to no prize money

A drug culture is ingrained in American sport. Baseball and the NFL are riddled.
    USADA are a joke of an organisation.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2020/0612/1146982-us-boxer-escapes-ban-after-failing-dope-test-due-to-sex/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

He looks almost caricaturesque.

This. Regardless of how he bulked up he looks ridiculously out of proportion, it's comical.

A drug culture is ingrained in American sport. Baseball and the NFL are riddled.
    USADA are a joke of an organisation.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2020/0612/1146982-us-boxer-escapes-ban-after-failing-dope-test-due-to-sex/

100% agree with you. There have been many cases of cover ups going back to LA Olympics, to the recent Christian Coleman debacle and also the link you attached.

The only real thing that usada done was to nail Lance Armstrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

See Montgomerie advocating the tournament ball again, the one that goes 85% the distance of a normal ball. He does realise that there are relatively short hitters in the game as well? The sub 300 guys would also have to use these balls and the big hitters would also be the big hitters, relatively speaking, with such a ball. I believe its not the ball. That's only a factor. The drivers have maximum forgiveness, high MOI and what DeChambeau is doing is an experiment. Get as big as possible, big enough to deliver as much force as possible into the ball as accurately as possible, with these maximum forgiving drivers and then gouge it out onto the green from wherever it happens to land and make as many birdies as possible. Wash, rinse and repeat. DeChambeau, in this experiment, will show how far the ball can go under the current limitations. If governance wants to reel in long drive competition type distances then they should reel in the forgiveness of the heads and place a premium on driving accuracy with smaller sweet spot headed drivers. Limit ball speed off the face, the COR already is. Label the drivers with "TP", tournament play. Leave the max MOI drivers with all the ball speed benefits to the players they are designed for i.e. the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I put on 10kg during the lockdown and didn't lift a single weight

Your stats are for lean muscle gain, his certainly ain't that

• Advertisement

I put on 10kg during the lockdown and didn't lift a single weight

Your stats are for lean muscle gain, his certainly ain't that

welll he isnt swinging the club 10mph quicker after putting in 10kg of fat

Whatever added the bulk, he has lost the right to wear that Hogan cap thing for me.

Mongomerie is half right about the 85% ball thing. Just it should be for everyone. Game would be just as much fun for everyone if not more so. So many courses around were built effectively for that. Less golf courses stretching beyond 7000yds means cheaper courses with simply less of it. Rounds would be quicker - shorter distance, and less looking for balls. The less the distance in it, the more it becomes a game of skill again. Where the long lads can be 350 and the shorter ones 280, thats a big difference right there and its like there not even playing the same course. So DeChamboue is right to do what he is doing. But when a decent golfer could just put a drive to 200 and a five iron 150 yards, the longer guy was only twenty yards longer than that. So still playing much more the same course as the shorter lad, dealing with the same bunkers, drive decisions, risk reward go nogo shots, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don't wanna do the juicing chat, but it's certainly prevalent in Golf (and Rugby as mentioned above)

Lack of testing does hurt the legitimacy of the Sport a bit.

Same with GAA too etc

Advertisement