Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cavity Bead Insulation

Options
  • 11-06-2020 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I am looking at getting the cavity wall of the house insulated with bead insulation. There are so many different companies, types of bead insulation out there. I have looked at U - values, thermal conductivity etc. But cannot figure out which one is best?
    Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi all,

I am looking at getting the cavity wall of the house insulated with bead insulation. There are so many different companies, types of bead insulation out there. I have looked at U - values, thermal conductivity etc. But cannot figure out which one is best?
    Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.

The lower the thermal conductivity figure the better.

I think the best bead product commonly used currently is the platinum bead

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stan the man the gaffer

thanks for reply. Is that the Supertherm Platinum bead or the Aeroboard platinum bead insulation?

TIA

"platinum bead" is the product

whether its supertherm, aeroboard, kingspan whoever doesnt really matter... those are the providers of the product.

what you need to ask for is the data sheet of the product your provider uses... and check the TC value.. make sure it s certified ie BBA or IAB cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The lower the thermal conductivity figure the better.

I think the best bead product commonly used currently is the platinum bead

Does bead insulation offer any benefit to sound insulation

Does bead insulation offer any benefit to sound insulation

"Any"... Yes

Anything worthwhile.... No

• Advertisement

"Any"... Yes

Anything worthwhile.... No

12.5mm plasterboard, 75mm bead and 100mm air cavity. Is there a way to work out the sound value.

12.5mm plasterboard, 75mm bead and 100mm air cavity. Is there a way to work out the sound value.

Please describe that construction make up??

Please describe that construction make up??

It’s a suspended ceiling with a 7” void to the concrete floor above.

It’s a suspended ceiling with a 7” void to the concrete floor above.

If there's a concrete floor above you, and you need to sound proof it, then the cavity is not the problem.

Most likely sounds are being transferred down from cavities in the concrete floor or by pipes etc that are protruding through the whole construction..

I'd already imagine that the ceiling cavity is there to access services such as electrics and plumbing, so filling that void may not be a good idea.

If you are going ahead with remedial work, I'd suggest either endoscopic surveys first, or remove the plasterboard ceilings and review when all is open

I want to stop sound going up. Sound going down isn’t a problem. No issue with accessing services. Is there anywhere to work out the sound value of the bead or blown rockwool insulation.
    Thanks for your replies so far.

• Advertisement

I want to stop sound going up. Sound going down isn’t a problem. No issue with accessing services. Is there anywhere to work out the sound value of the bead or blown rockwool insulation.
    Thanks for your replies so far.

going up or down is irrelevant, its the same process.

its very unusual that sound through a concrete floor is an issue.

if accessing services isnt an issue, a product such as this would be much better than blown bead:

https://www.eurokustik.com/english/industry-machine-room/stratocell-whisper-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Are there any data on how susceptible to wind washing beads are? How do they compare to glas wool, vs PIR etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

going up or down is irrelevant, its the same process.

its very unusual that sound through a concrete floor is an issue.

if accessing services isnt an issue, a product such as this would be much better than blown bead:

https://www.eurokustik.com/english/industry-machine-room/stratocell-whisper-.html
    Accoustians do reccomend flanking impact strips seperating the floor screen on a concrete floor from the walls. In relation to actual insulation carrying sound, an acoustian warned me that PIR boards do transmit flanking sound.

Advertisement