Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyst in an embarrassing place

• 11-06-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm not looking for medical advice! I have been to my lovely GP and have been reassured that the cyst I have it benign and nothing to worry about.

But it's in the genital area so while it isn't painful it is seriously impacting my life. I've avoided relationships for a year now.

I'm on a waiting list for 10 months and have been told there's no guarantee they'll remove it as it isnt causing physical issues.
    But I really need it gone so I can get back to living a normal life.
    I've tried 8 other places and none of them will remove a cyst in that area. They said I'll have to have it done by a gynaecologist.
    I tried to see how much it would be to do it privately with a gynae and St James Hospital quoted me €1'800 which I don't have. I'll probably never afford that.

Has anyone ever had a cyst in this area and had such trouble just finding a doctor to remove it?
    It is really beginning to impact my life now. I feel like I'm missing out on dating and I'm lonely. But mortified by this thing growing down there!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lu La wrote: »
    I'm not looking for medical advice! I have been to my lovely GP and have been reassured that the cyst I have it benign and nothing to worry about.

But it's in the genital area so while it isn't painful it is seriously impacting my life. I've avoided relationships for a year now.

I'm on a waiting list for 10 months and have been told there's no guarantee they'll remove it as it isnt causing physical issues.
    But I really need it gone so I can get back to living a normal life.
    I've tried 8 other places and none of them will remove a cyst in that area. They said I'll have to have it done by a gynaecologist.
    I tried to see how much it would be to do it privately with a gynae and St James Hospital quoted me €1'800 which I don't have. I'll probably never afford that.

Has anyone ever had a cyst in this area and had such trouble just finding a doctor to remove it?
    It is really beginning to impact my life now. I feel like I'm missing out on dating and I'm lonely. But mortified by this thing growing down there!

See your GP again and outline how it has impacted your relationships, self esteem and quality of life. Keep going back and generate a paper trail. Eventually there will be enough evidence to have it covered by insurance or the State. People in the UK get free breast reductions due to psychological distress from having large brests. A cyst removal is a much cheaper and simpler procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Karede

I have but mine was causing considerable pain. There were days were i couldnt sit down. My GP referred me to St James Dermatology. They did a biopsy to make sure it was nothing sinister and then referred me to the Coombe Womens Hospital. The Coombe surgically removed it. Had to be put to sleep, get stitches etc. It was very unpleasant. They also told me there was no guarantee it wouldnt come back. Its been a couple of years now and thankfully it hasnt come back but I still get darting pain in the area as there is a lot of nerves there obviously. Dont think that because its "just a cyst" that it will be a simple procedure, depending on exactly where it is, it might be but it might also be a bigger procedure. From GP referral to surgery it took about 6 months. If you really want it done you will have to impress on them exactly how much its impacting your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

€1800.. Get a 2 year loan, repay 20 a week. Worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Also, ring around different hospitals there can be a difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

A friend of mine had the same thing, it took 4 gp visits but eventually she got a referral. Basically she became a torture to the gp, and then while on the hospital waiting list she hounded them with phone calls. Took nearly 18 months but she got sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A word of advice. Any sort of relatively harmless but otherwise unpleasant or unsightly cyst or wart or thing like that will not be taken off in the public system at certainly not at the day rate. As you say, it has to be causing phsyical issues, ie, discomfort or pain or impaired function. Next time you are talking to the doctor you need to tick that box - so you basically need to say it is causing you pain. Then you will be fairly sure of having it removed.

I know this because I had a pilar cyst on my head. Spoke to doctor about it and she asked was it painful, I went on to say not really, ab it uncomfortable, annoying etc and she interjected that "well under the public system it will only be removed if it is causing pain.....so is it causing you pain?" with an expression on her face as to what my answer ought to be if I wanted rid of it.
    I said it was painful, and a few months later I had it whipped off no problems.

The health system, like everything else, is a game. and you have to play it cute in order to get what you want from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is it a Bartholin's cyst? Does it come and go?

Not medical advice! That is for your GP to give!

But, any way of managing it on a coming and going basis, i.e, don't shy away from a relationship because of it.
    There is advice on the internet about home management e.g. sitz baths, hot compresses etc
    Also can your GP help when it is present if the home management does not work e.g drain it with a needle if needed

What age are your OP? If any comfort, sometimes women in their 30's get it the most but it goes away...sometimes...

Deffo talk more to your doctor about it and explain how it is affecting your life and what can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

I would definitely go back to your GP and discuss all the options. Just remember removal may not be straightforward. Get a second opinion if you need to. My GP work in a practice and I think I spoke with all of them before I had my removal.

I had a cyst removed and unfortunately developed keloid scar from it. I was just unlucky but I wouldnt get another cyst removed unless it was essential/painful.

Do you have health insurance at all as Eur 1800 is a reasonable price I think.

If it is impacting your mental health go back to your GP but make sure to discuss everything.

I went private to get mine removed and it was quick. Would I do it again - probably not unless medically required.

Sometimes the wait can be good as it allows you time to look at all options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

You could get a referral from your Doc under the Cross Border Directive and get treatment in Belfast at the Kingsbridge and the HSE here will then refund you. Waiting 10 months for this is absolutely disgraceful. This is a case of the HSE not wanting to spend money on something which is obviously not life threatening but certainly is something you want fixed ASAP.

You'd have to pay the cost upfront but the HSE will refund you afterwards, I myself had it done last year with an ENT issue for a nasal blockage, my GP refused to refer me so I fired her on the spot and my new GP was happy to refer me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

A mate of mine had a cyst between his ball sack and anus and it was removed so it is do-able.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A mate of mine had a cyst between his ball sack and anus and it was removed so it is do-able.

It sounds from the OP that there is nothing to stop her getting surgery other than absolute bureaucracy and the disgraceful don't give a damn culture prevalent within the HSE to less serious illnesses and medical complaints. She has been on a waiting list for 10 months when this should have resolved within 4-6 weeks of the initial first contact on the matter. Billions squandered but no money for real healthcare cases like this.

If I can help re: Belfast idea pls let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

theguzman wrote: »
    It sounds from the OP that there is nothing to stop her getting surgery other than absolute bureaucracy and the disgraceful don't give a damn culture prevalent within the HSE to less serious illnesses and medical complaints. She has been on a waiting list for 10 months when this should have resolved within 4-6 weeks of the initial first contact on the matter. Billions squandered but no money for real healthcare cases like this.

If I can help re: Belfast idea pls let me know.

Do-able as in through a public hospital I should of said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

seriously - I think the Healy Raes used book weekly coaches to Belfast they had such a thing going with their constitients and treatment. Might be worth ringing their constitiuentcy office (sorry cant spell it!) and finding out what the general policy is - they certainly seem to be the experts!!

On a totally random note, I listened to a female professional cyclist doing a podcast on her ‘saddle and undercarriage issues ‘ - cysts and bizzarely
    ingrown hairs! Slow afternoon! She was doing the tqlk from anbike/outdoors expo in London & was horrifyingly fascinating to listen to and gave toe curling details. Might be worth a google - I’m so
    sorry but I can’t remember her name but surely its distinctive enough!! Her main issue was her bikes saddle and the number of
    mikes she was putting in on the bike - and despite
    surgeries they kept coming back! Have you got a cause for the cyst OP? Plus scarring and sensitivity /pressure could become an issue - your doctor could be right - if it ain’t really broke maybe its not worth cutting open, stitching and having a delicate scar down there...

I think this might be it
    https://www.casquette.co.uk/know-how/2017/4/22/saddle-lore-89la7

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

Hey I had this three times over a period of 6 months a few years back, I was lucky enough that two burst on their own after walking for long periods of time. They were embarrassed and very painful. They were not Bartholomew cysts as they were located differently to where there are...

On one occasion I also got a cream off a Dr who visited my work place, my own family Dr previously advised a cream wouldn't work but after trying it the cyst burst the next day !

I hope this helps

Advertisement