Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare and distance learning

Options
  • 11-06-2020 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, I am going to be getting jobseekers benefit and hoping to do a distance learning course provided by a UK college.

I know welfare only allows this if its a part time course in Ireland, but I think different rules apply if its distance(online) learning, Does anyone know if it matters if the online course is full or part-time?Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I know welfare only allows this if its a part time course in Ireland

Is there really a rule disallowing you to study abroad (UK) while you are on welfare???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Welfare will ask how you can be available for work yet studying full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

There is a general disqualification from Jobseekers/SWA for those attending full-time education courses in Ireland. The disqualification does not technically cover courses outside of Ireland.

There is no disqualification for part-time studies anywhere.

However, in both cases the Department may ask for details of your time commitments to ensure that the studies do not interfere with your search for full-time work.

They won't readily have information on your UK studies though, so they will only know this if you disclose it to them.

Advertisement