Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a different adaptor

Options
  • 11-06-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, hope this is the right place for this. I've asked in the musical instruments forum too, hope cross-posting is allowed for this.

I ordered a keyboard from Thomann.de and it arrived today, but instead of the detachable 3-pin plug they said they would send, they sent the 2-pin version. I'm contacting them and will sort that out soon enough.

In the mean time, I am wondering if I can use the adaptor that is on the current keyboard, or whether it wouldn't work/would do some damage. I've highlighted the difference below.

The current one is:

Input: 100-240V - 50/60Hz, 0.8A.
    Output: 12.0V = 2.0A

The one that came with the new keyboard is:
    Input:100-240V - 50/60Hz, 0.5A
    Output:12.0V - 1.5A 18.0W

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Hey bud,
    The one you have at the moment will be absolutely fine. It can can supply more current than the keyboard requires. They keyboard will only draw what it needs.
    Problems occur with under sized supplies.

You just have to make sure that the barrel connector (I assume) for the keyboard is the same polarity (either centre negative, or centre positive.
    If you look on the adapter you'll see. Have a look here if you're unsure what to look for!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Hey bud,
    The one you have at the moment will be absolutely fine. It can can supply more current than the keyboard requires. They keyboard will only draw what it needs.
    Problems occur with under sized supplies.

You just have to make sure that the barrel connector (I assume) for the keyboard is the same polarity (either centre negative, or centre positive.
    If you look on the adapter you'll see. Have a look here if you're unsure what to look for!

Hey, thanks so much for the reply. Good to know that in terms of power needs, the old adaptor can supply enough current. Now on to polarity.

The new adaptor has an indicator of polarity telling me it is centre positive. Here's an image of the same model.

However the adaptor I already had doesn't have any polarity indicator that I can see. It's a Huawei switching power adaptor, identical to the one in this image.

I searched for the model number there doesn't seem to be any info on polarity at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

meercat wrote: »
    Would this do. They’re readily available

+1 yes it would. OP, the travel adapter that someone from mainland Europe would bring to the UK or Ireland (for their two-pin plug appliance) will do the job. The one in meercat's post above is what you need.

Thanks, but I don't want to buy a new one, I expect the company that I bought the keyboard from to send me one very soon.

I am asking whether, in the meantime, I can use an adaptor from a different keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

Buy a travel adapter in Tesco for a few quid. I wouldn't recommend using a different adapter as it may void your warranty.
    Actually edit it may be more difficult to find the Irish-continental adapter.
    I'd be very careful if you are not sure of teh polarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you can check the polarity with a multimeter. Drop a pin into the hole and use that as the contact if you can't make a direct connection with the multimeter probe. Set the multimeter to 20V DC.

All sorted, thanks everybody.

The adaptor was just deilvered a day later than the keyboard for some reason, all working now.

Advertisement