Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options
  • 11-06-2020 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Imagine the shock and horror in Leinster House when it was discovered that a country, where over 91% of the population are white, has a civil service that is 'very white'. To correct this error, he would like to use targets for the civil service to hire more minorities.

These kinds of targets are illogical and in no way should a public servant be hired on the basis of their skin colour or race but this is what he wants to introduce.

Is this just another reactionary policy in reaction to the death of George Floyd or does it have merit? Obviously recruiters in the civil service are racists otherwise there would be no need for such a policy/target.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

White people? in North Western Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Imagine, a small island country in north western europe with no history of colonialism or ties to Africa has a ‘very white’ public sector. Given that we have very few direct flights to Africa and didn’t have them a long time, the number of ‘people of colour’ from Africa who managed to get here without setting foot in another safe country before claimed asylum here is more surprising that a ‘very white’ public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

A load of tokenistic krapp.

White people? in North Western Europe?

Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I always liked the name of that civil servant who popped in the Disclosures Tribunal and the Frances Fitzgerald email affair- Chris Quattrociocchi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It was a racist statement by our Taoiseach. Factual, but by the standards he puts forward, it's racist. Leo obviously looks at people and sees skin colour first and foremost.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I always liked the name of that civil servant who popped in the Disclosures Tribunal and the Frances Fitzgerald email affair- Chris Quattrociocchi

Not only is he white, he is ginger. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is there a direct quote? Depends on the context. I suspect he's just being super 'right on' for PR, but a quote would be nice.
    Gone be the days when your accent and family connections got you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You'd swear there was something wrong with being white.

He's making a fool of himself over the last few days bladdering on about removing statues and suggesting there is a big problem with racism in this country when there really isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Is there a link to what he actually said or will I wait til his reaffirmation later on on his twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Akesh wrote: »
    Imagine the shock and horror in Leinster House when it was discovered that a country, where over 91% of the population are white, has a civil service that is 'very white'. To correct this error, he would like to use targets for the civil service to hire more minorities.

These kinds of targets are illogical and in no way should a public servant be hired on the basis of their skin colour or race but this is what he wants to introduce.

Is this just another reactionary policy in reaction to the death of George Floyd or does it have merit? Obviously recruiters in the civil service are racists otherwise there would be no need for such a policy/target.

It has merit in a society where it’s true that 91% of the population are white, and almost 99% of the people in civil service jobs, are also white.

Setting quotas though is not the way to address the disparity. Educating people who are not white as to the benefits to them of joining the civil services would be a step in the right direction though if the idea is genuinely greater visibility of ethnic minorities in the civil services, and not simply a token gesture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Stop importing this identity politics shíte from America :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Akesh wrote: »

What else do you fooking expect from that gobdaw.

One of his heroes is that gobshyte in Canada and he reckons he will get brownie points for these type of comments.

I wonder would he like to hire some of our "native minority" to help him out in government buildings.

Next thing you know he will reckon too many of them are straight .

I am not allowed discuss …

Given that many African countries are among the most corrupt, this doesn’t bode well for our public sector and our ‘Corruption Perception Index’ placing. Can we expect less FDI as a result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Lads, check your privilege. Leo is a gay indian and he's had to struggle in this country to get anywhere. Barely surviving. Compare that to the Irish in the inner cities, or the poor whites in general who get everything handed to them on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

jmayo wrote: »
    What else do you fooking expect from that gobdaw.

One of his heroes is that gobshyte in Canada and he reckons he will get brownie points for these type of comments.

I wonder would he like to hire some of our "native minority" to help him out in government buildings.

Next thing you know he will reckon too many of them are straight .

His mate who has done blackface a few times

His mate who has done blackface a few times

Correct. More times than he could remember. The privileged son of a former prime minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Prediction for the future:

Anti-racism will prove to be more destructive to society than ' racism '

*( racism will also prove to have been largely non-existent, confused with other behaviours such as discriminating against people based on their perceived behaviour/ values rather than physical characteristics )

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Jesus Leo. No matter how many times this wokeness, PC and SJW nonsense is discredited, lampooned, taken apart and derided by people with working brains, our politicians still lap it up like sheep following each other off a cliff. Maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

"No Irish need apply".

At the start of his reign, Leo stated "prejudice has no hold in Ireland" ...... He has an awful habit of Chopin and changing his mind. He's a simpleton alright.

• Advertisement

Stop importing this identity politics shíte from America :(

Too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He's won me back in the election but has totally lost me these last two weeks.

They are all the same shade of ****e. There is no diversity in Irish politics

Correct. More times than he could remember. The privileged son of a former prime minister.

who is this?

"No Irish need apply".

At the start of his reign, Leo stated "prejudice has no hold in Ireland" ...... He has an awful habit of Chopin and changing his mind. He's a simpleton alright.

Incorrect - only “new Irish” need apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He was always a slippery me feiner.

Now he can race baiter to his CV.

Personally I think FG/Leo have done ok in government, esp giving the circumstances they inherited (and I've never voted FF/FG myself). They've been poor/good in a number of areas. So I'm not just knocking him for the sake of it.

But he's out of touch with the people of Ireland,; the Tans episode (and the failure to see what people were saying during that time) was proof of that. This is another example. I'm left leaning, and see a lot of merit in giving minorities (not just skin colour, race, nationality - but also people who have a tougher opportunity at success) a leg-up; but this OTT extreme left-wing (and often racist behaviour itself) pushes people like me away. It must push those who are right-wing even further away.

Jesus Leo. No matter how many times this wokeness, PC and SJW nonsense is discredited, lampooned, taken apart and derided by people with working brains, our politicians still lap it up like sheep following each other off a cliff. Maddening.

Its the narrative though. I dont really watch the news or read newspapers these days (not since the firewalls) but I have no doubt the narrative there is "Americans are bad racists but so are we".

Leo assumes this is the general belief out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Do you reckon the Nigerian president or PM is sitting in Lagos thinking, 'you know what I think the Nigerian civil service is too black'

Trying to appease the people by saying and doing things that are 'current'

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This effing racism talk is getting seriously out of control..

Everywhere now. People searching and digging like fooking lunatics looking for offensiveness and division and racism.

Quit it...we know the people of the world are fooking mad..

Just accept it, build a bridge and get over it.

FVP3 wrote: »
    who is this?

ef8.jpg

Justin Trudeau. Canadian Prime Minister with a history of blackface.

• Advertisement

Personally I think FG/Leo have done ok in government, esp giving the circumstances they inherited (and I've never voted FF/FG myself). They've been poor/good in a number of areas. So I'm not just knocking him for the sake of it.

But he's out of touch with the people of Ireland,; the Tans episode (and the failure to see what people were saying during that time) was proof of that. This is another example. I'm left leaning, and see a lot of merit in giving minorities (not just skin colour, race, nationality - but also people who have a tougher opportunity at success) a leg-up; but this OTT extreme left-wing (and often racist behaviour itself) pushes people like me away. It must push those who are right-wing even further away.

Indeed. Affirmative action in the US is targeting the historically privileged*, here it would target the historically discriminated against. But we are all Americans now.

* actually the historically privileged do well in the US given their rules on Alumi. Its the working class whites that bear the brunt.

Advertisement