Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Those forms are for statistical purposes and are not connected to your application.

I can promise you they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Strumms wrote: »
    Multicultural and diversity are terms that I’ve no time for, what I do have time for... fairness.

If I’m hiring 6 bus drivers tomorrow and I have 4 African applicants, 4 members of the traveling community applying, 4 Irish females applying, 4 Irish males and 4 mixed LGBT people applying... I don’t care, I’m STILL hiring who I believe are the 6 best most suitable candidates...

My first priority is to the customers, my second to the staff.... I care not one fùck about anybody waving flags, waving an agenda, looking for xyz criteria to be met.. you have the expertise, qualifications, experience, attitude and aptitude to do the job, you’ll get hired, I don’t care about your background, your troubles, your struggles, any of it....

Equal opportunity is that, equal for everyone...I owe myself, my colleagues, staff and customers to hire the best... that’s what I’ll endeavor to do.

Jaysus is there an another group now?:eek:

What the hell is mixed LGBT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I can promise you they are not.

So tell me how does an anonymous Equality form which is optional to complete have any bearing on someones application?

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Interview, obviously.

If you want to pretend "who you know" doesn't often influence who gets the job in Ireland, both in the public and private sector, fire ahead.

It's an uncontroversial opinion in normal conversation, not least because we all know many people who had to work their connections to get their jobs, but for some reason people online feel the need to argue that up is down and black is white.

How does who you know matter when it comes to a civil service job, lets say Executive Officer. You can be called to interview and there may be 4 interview boards running thats 12 board members, on each is usually 2 serving Civil Servants of Grade HEO or higher and another usually either retired Civil Servant or HR consultant. So who you know is going to approach all 12 and give the ol nod and wink for Johnny should he appear on their interview board? Remember also board members mostly get their papers a day or 2 in advance of interview.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Stop importing this identity politics shíte from America :(

Wow, I've got the second most thanked post on Boards across the last 24 hours, gonna put this on my CV under 'Greatest Achievements'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You'd better make sure you hire one of each , cos if you don't they'll be in the Irish times next week moaning how racist , sexist , homophobic your company is

I’d rather hire the best, most suitable candidate, with a rigorous interview process, aptitude test, background reference checks the lot... all i’s dotted, all t’s crossed...so that IF somebody makes an accusation, you have documented proof, a 3 person interview panel, the lot. Interview notes and other relevant paperwork kept and filed...minutes to be kept from decision meetings too, outlining every aspect of the decision process.. key points outlining each candidates qualities, so ultimately the decision is based on weighing up positives of each candidate fairly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Let's not state the obvious... You'll be labeled as something :D

Because nobody from Ireland ever left or married someone from a foreign country and then returned to Ireland with their mixed race children?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-make-myself-small-and-stay-quiet-experiences-of-racism-in-ireland-1.4277637?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Flife-and-style%2Fpeople%2Fi-make-myself-small-and-stay-quiet-experiences-of-racism-in-ireland-1.4277637

Lad in this article says his mum married a Libyan and he was born in 1983.

Well, I think by definition, Lesbian, gay, bi, trans is quite mixed ?

Well, I think by definition, Lesbian, gay, bi, trans is quite mixed ?

Then don't add unnecessary words that will cause confusion to old timers.

:confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm confused, does this mean we need to get more Asian, African, Chinese and any other country or region into the civil service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

A cocktail.

Wait for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I'm confused, does this mean we need to get more Asian, African, Chinese and any other country or region into the civil service?

Do they even need to be Irish citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I’d rather hire the best, most suitable candidate, with a rigorous interview process, aptitude test, background reference checks the lot... all i’s dotted, all t’s crossed...so that IF somebody makes an accusation, you have documented proof, a 3 person interview panel, the lot. Interview notes and other relevant paperwork kept and filed...minutes to be kept from decision meetings too, outlining every aspect of the decision process.. key points outlining each candidates qualities, so ultimately the decision is based on weighing up positives of each candidate fairly...

If a failed candidate from a minority group goes off running to say, The Irish Times, it won't matter how above board your recruitment process was. There'll be just the one side of the story told and that'll be the pressure needed for you to 'comply' with the new agenda next time. And also a warning to other companies to toe the line or face a write up from some left liberal opinion writer posing as a journalist

I think I might have been more comfortable living during the British occupation.

That way I'd know who the villains were...

So tell me how does an anonymous Equality form which is optional to complete have any bearing on someones application?

1. It’s not optional.
    2. It’s not anonymous.

It’s part of the application forms on public service jobs. I’ll upload a screenshot of the forms when I have access to my laptop. On mobile right now.

Besides that I know for a fact it has a bearing on whether you get an interview or not.

Do you really think the public service doesn’t have quotas to fill? Really??

Aha I’ve figured it out.

Get the people in direct provision jobs in the public service, it’s all making sense now.

jay0109 wrote: »
    If a failed candidate from a minority group goes off running to say, The Irish Times, it won't matter how above board your recruitment process was. There'll be just the one side of the story told and that'll be the pressure needed for you to 'comply' with the new agenda next time. And also a warning to other companies to toe the line or face a write up from some left liberal opinion writer posing as a journalist

Let them write the article, take the article to a solid lawyer and sue said publication. In winning insist on an apology and retraction in print.

Then tell your story on social media , how culturally diverse, how equal opportunities your company is, give them stats to back it up. Discredit and trample on them.

1. It’s not optional.
    2. It’s not anonymous.

It’s part of the application forms on public service jobs. I’ll upload a screenshot of the forms when I have access to my laptop. On mobile right now.

Besides that I know for a fact it has a bearing on whether you get an interview or not.

Do you really think the public service doesn’t have quotas to fill? Really??

Yes its the Equality Monitoring Questions.

It also states:
    Please note that any information that you provide in this questionnaire will have no bearing on the way your application will be considered and will be used to provide information for research purposes only.

Like I said this information is used for stats purposes.

It has zero bearing on being called for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Interview, obviously.

If you want to pretend "who you know" doesn't often influence who gets the job in Ireland, both in the public and private sector, fire ahead.

It's an uncontroversial opinion in normal conversation, not least because we all know many people who had to work their connections to get their jobs, but for some reason people online feel the need to argue that up is down and black is white.
    It may well have been the case in the past but now you need to have gotten through at least 2 online exams to have a chance to avail of your connections. It doesn't happen.
    The only ones I know who get it on the cost tails of their parents are politicians.
    They don't do any aptitude tests :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

From my desk I see a lot of "new Irish " and EU citizens joining the civil service.

I even know a few South Africans and bolivians in the service.
    Long live the new republic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What a utopian paradise you live in

Do you want to flesh that statement out a bit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

To work for the Dept of Foreign Affairs in an embassy you need to be Irish. Everyone else can be an EEA or UK citizen.

I was pressured into taking the exam a long time ago.

Apparently I scored very and I regularly here how I should have gone for the interview, etc.

Can't see how I wouldn't have been miserable in such job. Might even have turned into an evil Sir Humphrey

I was pressured into taking the exam a long time ago.

Apparently I scored very and I regularly here how I should have gone for the interview, etc.

Can't see how I wouldn't have been miserable in such job. Might even have turned into an evil Sir Humphrey

Roles across the Civil Service can differ greatly even at the same grade. It really depends on what Dept/Office you end up in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Don't be ridiculous. I've never read that in any paper across the board, sounds like a fantasy of yours.These types initiatives have existed in the U.K. for years.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Loads of posters came on and said stuff like " they'll be no jobs for Irish people", "Irish may not apply", "discrimination against white people" etc etc. The comments by the Taoiseach were not about quotas or positive discrimination, it was very mild conciliatory aspirational stuff and yet it was met with the sort of commentary and opposition I referred to above. That ott response was racist sentiment.

By saying that the civil service needs to be ‘less white’ is a fûcking disgraceful smug statement, and racist. If you are white, working there now and for your Taoiseach to come out with that..? I despise the cûnt. It IS reverse racism. If you have aspirations to join the civil service, you are sitting down for interview with a panel, team or persons who has a boss who essentially said, “we have enough of your kind in here already, there are too many of YOUR LOT, by virtue of your skin color”... said anecdotally or as a communication it does not matter... this is the sort of prick we are up against. The people of this country being corralled and bullied by their own elected head of state so that rights of others , non Irish can possibly supersede those of your own... never mind that you might have been paying your taxes here for X years, a proud and well educated Irish person, nooo, we’ve had enough of your lot, too many of YOU...too many Irish, in Ireland, working in the state, for the state.... says OUR Taoiseach !

Well he’s not MY fûcking anything... let’s get rid ASAP. The sorriest excuse for a state leader I’ve seen on this soil, or any soil...

Roles across the Civil Service can differ greatly even at the same grade. It really depends on what Dept/Office you end up in

Wouldn't have mattered. From all I've seen over the years I'd either have been miserable or evil. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Well he’s not MY fûcking anything... let’s get rid ASAP. The sorriest excuse for a state leader I’ve seen on this soil, or any soil...

People tried to vote him out but unfortunately we/they just failed.

He could be the leader of this country for a few more years yet. He's the perfect figurehead for all the amazing transformative times this country has ahead of it.

Any criticism of his capabilities will be roared down with cries of racism or homophobia or both.

The guy is an idiot. He really stands for nothing.

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    People tried to vote him out but unfortunately we/they just failed.

He could be the leader of this country for a few more years yet. He's the perfect figurehead for all the amazing transformative times this country has ahead of it.

Any criticism of his capabilities will be roared down with cries of racism or homophobia or both.

The guy is an idiot. He really stands for nothing.

He will stand for a photograph.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

He will stand for a photograph.;)

Or in the front row of a Kylie gig.

He's always spinning around [topics] alright.

Advertisement