Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. I've never read that in any paper across the board, sounds like a fantasy of yours.These types initiatives have existed in the U.K. for years.

Have you been listening to Joe Duffy this week and some of the anecdotal stories being told?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

What is blatantly absurd and insulting about Varadkar's statement is in its timing.
    The country has been going hell for the last 3 months, with over 1,700 deaths of our fellow citizens, and hundreds of thousands of people in the country left jobless due to the deadly pandemic, and then the rest of the population is living with complete uncertainty during these very challenging times.

Yet, the country's leader decides to hit us when we are down with his "very white" proclamation. Of course, we know what he really means. He is not talking about getting more Chinese or Brazilians to work in the Civil Service; he is talking about the lack of Africans working for the State, which is why he used the word "white" versus using the word "diversity". Does this mean he will be further facilitating the mass importation of Africans in order to achieve his goal?

Varadkar has gone a step too far with his racist comment. I would imagine that the vast majority of the Irish people do not want him to be leader of our country any more.
    He should resign and maybe move to a less white country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    People tried to vote him out but unfortunately we/they just failed.

He could be the leader of this country for a few more years yet. He's the perfect figurehead for all the amazing transformative times this country has ahead of it.

Any criticism of his capabilities will be roared down with cries of racism or homophobia or both.

The guy is an idiot. He really stands for nothing.

I agree...

The issue again is having a good, educated, fair and hard working guy on the opposition benches but not exactly the stature or charisma demanded in modern times that befits a leader, I’d give him a shot over Leo, any day. Hopefully we get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Or in the front row of a Kylie gig.

He's always spinning around [topics] alright.

Kylie Minogue is some bird.

I would ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kivaro wrote: »
    What is blatantly absurd and insulting about Varadkar's statement is in its timing.
    The country has been going hell for the last 3 months, with over 1,700 deaths of our fellow citizens, and hundreds of thousands of people in the country left jobless due to the deadly pandemic, and then the rest of the population is living with complete uncertainty during these very challenging times.

Yet, the country's leader decides to hit us when we are down with his "very white" proclamation. Of course, we know what he really means. He is not talking about getting more Chinese or Brazilians to work in the Civil Service; he is talking about the lack of Africans working for the State, which is why he used the word "white" versus using the word "diversity". Does this mean he will be further facilitating the mass importation of Africans in order to achieve his goal?

Varadkar has gone a step too far with his racist comment. I would imagine that the vast majority of the Irish people do not want him to be leader of our country any more.

Great post Kivaro.
    There’s an agenda there and he’s using the media to push it.
    Expect to see thousands more Africans arrive here.
    God knows what promises Varadkar has made to further himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Great post Kivaro.

I find any comment you make on this topic hypocritcal considering your own obvious prejudices.

Are the likes of Skips and Rancheros not good enough for you??? :mad:

:pac::pac::pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is there a link to what he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I find any comment you make on this topic hypocritcal considering your own obvious prejudices.

Are the likes of Skips and Rancheros not good enough for you??? :mad:

:pac::pac::pac:;)

I also like Kings. I’m a bit of a Royalist so.🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Is there a link to what he said?

https://www.thejournal.ie/recruitment-targets-civil-service-leo-varadkar-5120369-Jun2020/
    Taoiseach favours setting targets to make the health service, schools and the civil service more diverse
    The Taoiseach says the civil service is currently ‘very white’.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

Civil and public service recruitment is currently an open competition. Anyone can apply to these competitions regardless of colour, sexual orientation, religious beliefs etc. How is there equality and integration when you introduce a segregated recruitment process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Isn't there a bigger island landmass a short hop away to the East that's been saturated with this stuff to the point of sending it's populace mental? Why doesn't Leo take a look over there just to check out how well it's all working out?, in fact it's so near it takes an hour to get to, there's loads of us over there and we get all it's media and follow it's football clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Miley Cyrus has spoken. Leo will be out first thing in the morning sawing the head off Christopher Columbus, if he's not doing it already.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

buried wrote: »
    Miley Cyrus has spoken. Leo will be out first thing in the morning sawing the head off Christopher Columbus, if he's not doing it already.

His movies are great but I didn't know we had a statue of him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Kylie Minogue is some bird.

I would ya.

I would.

Leo would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Do people not know about this?

Celebrity social media accounts have been donated to Bill Gates and Bono and friends to promote cures for all the strife in the world.

This is not a lie. Google it. There was a huge campaign a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Kivaro wrote: »

It’s like a white person who gets to the top of Nigerian politics calling out the whole country for their public service being very “black”. Like no shít Leo. This is Ireland. I didn’t see a black man here until I was nearly a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Im going to call bull**** on that claim. In order to get into the civil service you firstly need to pass an exam and not only pass it but score high enough to be called to interview. Then you are required to sit a competency based interview that usually consists of 3 board members.

So tell me how one person managed to influence not only a persons exam score but also 3 independent people on an interview board to allow this person into a job?

A staunch member of a political party and a minister to rise him up the ladder.

Great post Kivaro.

Ireland 2040 is set in stone, there are many many many more coming whether we can support them or not.

It’s funny. I don’t remember voting for that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Sureitlbegrand

Really sick of Leo at this stage. He constantly comes across detached from the public, seems to hate our irish history and heritage.
    Quotes churchill and a Hobbit during a global crisis plenty of inspirational irish people to choose from

Then trys to have a parade for the famously hated Black n Tans, seriously what views does he have of this country because I cant relate to any.

First time I've ever felt like the person in charge is a foreigner and by that I do Not mean anything about color or ethnicity but rather a feeling of being proud to be Irish and know and respect our history.

Rant over!!
    Lol
    Good to vent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Strumms wrote: »
    By saying that the civil service needs to be ‘less white’ is a fûcking disgraceful smug statement, and racist. If you are white, working there now and for your Taoiseach to come out with that..? I despise the cûnt. It IS reverse racism. If you have aspirations to join the civil service, you are sitting down for interview with a panel, team or persons who has a boss who essentially said, “we have enough of your kind in here already, there are too many of YOUR LOT, by virtue of your skin color”... said anecdotally or as a communication it does not matter... this is the sort of prick we are up against. The people of this country being corralled and bullied by their own elected head of state so that rights of others , non Irish can possibly supersede those of your own... never mind that you might have been paying your taxes here for X years, a proud and well educated Irish person, nooo, we’ve had enough of your lot, too many of YOU...too many Irish, in Ireland, working in the state, for the state.... says OUR Taoiseach !

Well he’s not MY fûcking anything... let’s get rid ASAP. The sorriest excuse for a state leader I’ve seen on this soil, or any soil...

Thank u for such a great post. It’s great to know there are others who see what that Varadkar is , an evil racist c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Spectacularly illogical knee-jerk pandering to the borderline delusional idea of some multi ethnic hippy utopian paradise fantasised upon by our snowflake brethren.

All the big fancy words aside, this is just PR muppetry at its finest being allowed to dictate policy.
    It's reverse racism and should be just as outlawed as the traditional kind.

There is a balance where we treat all people, simply and quietly and as a matter of course, equally based on their merit. Which I have no doubt the CS has been doing for decades without need to hit some kind of minority target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Really sick of Leo at this stage. He constantly comes across detached from the public, seems to hate our irish history and heritage.
    Quotes churchill and a Hobbit during a global crisis plenty of inspirational irish people to choose from

Then trys to have a parade for the famously hated Black n Tans, seriously what views does he have of this country because I cant relate to any.

First time I've ever felt like the person in charge is a foreigner and by that I do Not mean anything about color or ethnicity but rather a feeling of being proud to be Irish and know and respect our history.

Rant over!!
    Lol
    Good to vent

No surprising that an immigrant doesnt understand the history of our nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Woodsie1 wrote: »

He was born in the Rotunda Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

the first big influx of immigrants only arrived 20 years ago

their kids are only in college now

how would they be working in the civil service at this stage?:confused:

Is this a joke or are you seriously that ignorant?

Surely you realise someone can arrive in Ireland in their teens, twenties, thirties, forties, fifties etc.. and apply for the civil service and get a job? What makes you think their kids would be the only candidates for public service work? How are you so confused?

He was born in the Rotunda Hospital.

Never even heard of that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Woodsie1 wrote: »

He was born in Ireland. What was part of Irish history did he miss out on in Blanchardstown compared to your history class?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

OMG we have gone full clown world...I was wondering when some idiot in power would say something mind numbingly stupid and Leo has taken the cake, I have lost all respect for him now, we cant live in a post racial world with comments like his, The reason for prodominently white workers is this is not America, last time I checked Ireland was a white country and the Irish are ethnically white skinned so even if any section of a company is 100% "white" that should not be seen as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is this a joke or are you seriously that ignorant?

Surely you realise someone can arrive in Ireland in their teens, twenties, thirties, forties, fifties etc.. and apply for the civil service and get a job? What makes you think their kids would be the only candidates for public service work? How are you so confused?

You are required to be an EU or EEA citizen to work in the Irish civil service. The vast majority of non white immigrants wouldn't be. The civil service also places a high value on quality education, the average standard of immigrant's education is usually a lot lower than us with our free education. As would the English language standards of a non white immigrant be lower on average.

I'm not saying they can't but there are a few hurdles which are fair and in place for good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

sdanseo wrote: »
    Spectacularly illogical knee-jerk pandering to the borderline delusional idea of some multi ethnic hippy utopian paradise fantasised upon by our snowflake brethren.

All the big fancy words aside, this is just PR muppetry at its finest being allowed to dictate policy.
    It's reverse racism and should be just as outlawed as the traditional kind.

There is a balance where we treat all people, simply and quietly and as a matter of course, equally based on their merit. Which I have no doubt the CS has been doing for decades without need to hit some kind of minority target.

It is not reverse racism as that does not exist as it would mean only white people can be racist which is the furthest thing from the truth and is just a far left nutjobs creation, it is simply racism.

Advertisement