Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 gretta123

What I don’t get the removing statues thing
    We have many monuments to famous Men who helped us get independence
    I respect these men but they are killers some were worse then others
    Take dan Breen - a man whose only regret was he did not kill more
    Is he to re written out of our history?
    How about Liam lynch and Michael Collins and de Valera.
    Many ira men went to Germany looking for help to defeat the British
    Should we write roger casement out of our history

I think anyone who thinks we need to rip down statues our ancestors put up for their good reasons and who also believe the Irish civil service is too white then they must have mental issues Of some type. I suspect a self hatred that includes self harm maybe drug or alcohol issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Seems the same in my job, pass it on as it's much easier then making a decision...

It's a lovely arrangement that they've got going here, so they can fcuk everybody year after year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

da_miser wrote: »
    And many many of these immigrants are coming here with a massive chip on their shoulder to say the least, dont speak english , little to no education, with zero interest in assimilating, a recipe for success dare i say.

Always fact check. People like you never ever provide any statistics to back up anything you say.

Case study in Limerick.

Not educated?

Migrants come to Ireland for many reasons including employment prospects and a better way of life, just like the Irish who emigrated to
    Australia, Canada and the UK. Almost 80% of migrants in Limerick are of
    working age (15 – 65 years) and are highly
    educated – 60% of non-Irish nationals have completed third-level education.

Don't Speak English

Language is often a significant obstacle for migrants in Ireland. However, there is huge demand for English language classes among the migrant community nationwide and in Limerick. 80% of migrants speak english.

“Migrants are not willing to integrate”

Despite the abundance of English language providers in the city, the supply simply cannot meet the demand. Migrants in Limerick were asked about their English language abilities in the 2011 Census, with 80% claiming to speak
    English well or very well and only 4% had no English at all.

Only Here for handouts

Migrant workers are only entitled to claim Jobseekers Benefit if they have paid sufficient PRSI contributions through employment in Ireland. They are only entitled to claim Jobseekers Allowance if they can prove that they have lived
    in Ireland for some time and that they intend to stay in Ireland for the foreseeable future. 85% of people on the Live Register in Limerick are Irish nationals. Less than 4% were from outside the EU and 11% were from within the EU. Non-Irish nationals also have a work force participation rate of 73%, much higher than the 57% rate of Irish nationals.

https://pjp-eu.coe.int/c4i/images/appendix%20a%20booklet%20(1).pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To place this in historical content, to show how abysmal this comment of our "leader" is, I'll present the following. This is based on a lecture I attended by a retired Civil servant who was doing his doctorate in the history of that body. He mentioned that post-Independence the state did not trust the civil service as the leaders believed that the service was staffed mostly by people who were still loyal at heart to Britain. However they recognised the need for a competent and apolitical civil service, so largely left it untouched to attempt to provide the Irish people stability in the wake of the crisis of a newly born nation.
    Forward this to present day and the cheap political point scoring by a "leader" attempting to appear progressive at any cost.
    Compare and contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

And many many of these immigrants are coming here with a massive chip on their shoulder to say the least, dont speak english , little to no education, with zero interest in assimilating, a recipe for success dare i say.

I worked in factory when I was kid and met my first immigrant.

From Zimbabwe. A very short , very quiet, very innocent lad struggling to understand our accents and culture...

... which is what management and most of the other workers thought.

He was some character. Could understand every word from every gob****e who thought he couldn't understand the insults and he could somehow manipulate them into doing extra work for him (he was a good worker himself - no problem there). He could play the race card without actually saying anything. Our supervisor used to be on the verge of heart attack if he had to interact with him for anything - one time myself and the team leader found the supervisor at his desk nearly in tears trying to figure out if he had said something racist.

And this was back in the olden days before political correctness when you could greet a female colleague with an affectionate "how's your tits?" and it would be taken in the good natured way it was intended and not start WW3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

cloudatlas wrote: »

Only Here for handouts

]

What is the current percentage of African immigrants on welfare in Ireland?
    Should be easy for you to post here as it was in the news a few months back, i wont hold my breath waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

More diversity in the work place.

May I suggest we elect Barrack Obama for President.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

What that we aren't crippled?

We are going into a depression

I have to queue to get into any retail outlet, my gm is trying to renegotiate my bonus because our sales are so high.
    Markets are sentiment driven and we will hop back on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

mikeym wrote: »
    More diversity in the work place.

May I suggest we elect Barrack Obama for President.

Is he black enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Should be easy for you to post here as it was in the news a few months back, i wont hold my breath waiting.

Post it

I would like to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

gretta123 wrote: »
    What I don’t get the removing statues thing
    We have many monuments to famous Men who helped us get independence
    I respect these men but they are killers some were worse then others
    Take dan Breen - a man whose only regret was he did not kill more
    Is he to re written out of our history?
    How about Liam lynch and Michael Collins and de Valera.
    Many ira men went to Germany looking for help to defeat the British
    Should we write roger casement out of our history

I think anyone who thinks we need to rip down statues our ancestors put up for their good reasons and who also believe the Irish civil service is too white then they must have mental issues Of some type. I suspect a self hatred that includes self harm maybe drug or alcohol issues

It all seems implausible until you remember who came out and said “the public service is very white”.... the very same fella who wanted to honour the Black and Tans so don’t be shocked when he’s ok with the tearing down of said statues.

He doesn’t give a flying shíte about the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Post it

I would like to know

64%
    Stunning & Brave, dare i say woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

64%

sorry i am on your side btw

just cujrious

64%

64% of Africans on welfare.

Of course with the current trend of adopting American politics here it’ll be all whiteys fault, racism etc.

What’s your point? So the highest number of immigrants on social welfare are from Africa, migrants still make up a small percentage of those on social welfare overall!

The report said there should be more done to remove barriers and help them get work, which is good. The reasons why they are disadvantaged should be examined.

Also on your point about education:

‘In terms of third-level education among working-age people, most groups performed better than the Irish (37pc). Western Europeans were most likely to have their degree (74pc), while eastern Europeans (35pc) were the least likely.’

Better educated than Irish people.

10 years ago on after hours people were going on about the Poles coming in and taking the jobs and now they are okay we’ve moved on.... who is next....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What’s your point? So the highest number of immigrants on social welfare are from Africa, migrants still make up a small percentage of those on social welfare overall!

The report said there should be more done to remove barriers and help them get work, which is good. The reasons why they are disadvantaged should be examined.

Also on your point about education:

‘In terms of third-level education among working-age people, most groups performed better than the Irish (37pc). Western Europeans were most likely to have their degree (74pc), while eastern Europeans (35pc) were the least likely.’

Better educated than Irish people.

10 years ago on after hours people were going on about the Poles coming in and taking the jobs and now they are okay we’ve moved on.... who is next....

Not a great argument really is it...

Same as people saying we are doing well with covid but when you put it per head over a million we aren't doing great at all.

If someone wants to join our island, no issues there but you must come here to work and contribute.... A lot actually don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Does anyone know how all the Africans ended up in Balbriggan, just curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It should be 0%.

No illegal immigrant should get past the port of entry.

Not a great argument really is it...

Same as people saying we are doing well with covid but when you put it per head over a million we aren't doing great at all.

If someone wants to join our island, no issues there but you must come here to work and contribute.... A lot actually don't....

Do you want to play a game it’s called ‘foreigners have ruined my life’
    If there are a large number of foreigners on the social it’s because they’re lazy and don’t want to work but if there are not many on the social then it’s because they’re bastards who are taking the jobs from Irish people. It’s a one player game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

as a civil servant I'd say its diverse at the lower end and white at the top end

• Advertisement

Do you want to play a game it’s called ‘foreigners have ruined my life’
    If there are a large number of foreigners on the social it’s because they’re lazy and don’t want to work but if there are not many on the social then it’s because they’re bastards who are taking the jobs from Irish people. It’s a one player game.

That's disgusting and actually beyond childish....

I've been yellowed and red carded for less.

Such a disgusting attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

fergus1001 wrote: »
    as a civil servant I'd say its diverse at the lower end and white at the top end

Iv actually noticed the same in my private sector job.
    I think the kids of people who came here at the beginning of the Celtic tiger (late 90's, 00's) are starting to finish college, they'll work their way up the ladder in time like the rest of us.

Suppose look at the UK our nearest neighbour, look how diversity has worked out, bomb detections, armed/heavily armed police, crash barriers and more added even along the London bridge etc.....

Dangerous world we live in... But sure it's ok let them all in.... Can't do any harm

Sure Osama bin fluckdins brother lives here....

Iv actually noticed the same in my private sector job.
    I think the kids of people who came here at the beginning of the Celtic tiger (late 90's, 00's) are starting to finish college, they'll work their way up the ladder in time like the rest of us.

And too fooking right, what right do they have we don't to move up normally with experience and proof to show they're suitable

Suppose look at the UK our nearest neighbour, look how diversity has worked out, bomb detections, armed/heavily armed police, crash barriers and more added even along the London bridge etc.....

Dangerous world we live in... But sure it's ok let them all in.... Can't do any harm

Sure Osama bin fluckdins brother lives here....

Yeah, diversity never works out. It’s a failed experiment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And that has been tried in every single European nation that has run this social stupid experiment and for decades with it and which demographics are still found to cluster around the bottom of the social ladder and have the most social problems? Oh wait... It's all fine and dandy in theory, but when the rubber meets the road not so much. The uncomfortable trend and fact is that in any "multicultural" society those of African background tend to pool at the bottom, those of Asian background more at the top and those of European background in the middle. In the US, which as we all know tends towards pretty bloody bad race relations to the point of blind racism Asian Americans on average earn more than European Americans. It's hardly positive discrimination at play.
    People of similar backgrounds and culture naturally tend to hang out and live together. Human nature. It's why you see Chinatown's and Little Italy's in societies with immigrant populations above a certain population threshold. In London Kilburn was an Irish area. Hell go on holiday to the usual sun and sand resorts in Europe and you see Irish people heading inexorably to Irish pubs for their Irish breakfasts. This trend is a near given and no amount of government will change that, though as usual the Irish authorities didn't even try to mitigate it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wibbs wrote: »
    The uncomfortable trend and fact is that in any "multicultural" society those of African background tend to pool at the bottom, those of Asian background more at the top and those of European background in the middle.
    Uncomfortable? Try unmentionable. Yet until that particular nettle is grasped we'll see no honesty in any discussion on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Because there's a lot of Fingal's social housing stock up there

Yes, but there is, first, an assumption that there are barriers that exist, and second, that they can be removed. The assumption is that they are disadvantaged not by their own lack of education or relevant skills, but that the disadvantages are there because of Irish people or Irish culture.

If we look at Germany, large percentages of those who arrived, couldn't speak German, nor did they have the educational background to make them competitive for work, apart from the lowest paid jobs. So, they placed initiatives to improve language ability and education to bring them up to speed. Three years later, the majority of those who entered the initiative had dropped out or failed to meet the standards. Of course, that meant that the migrants faced some kind of discrimination by teachers (Germany having one of the best educational systems in the world).... rather than acknowledging the failures of the participants.

Regardless of what happens, allowances are made for migrants, because nobody wants to admit it was a mistake to allow so many in, who did't have the education/skills to operate in a first world nation.

Some were. I was here 10 years ago, and was supportive of the Poles arriving... but then, I'd been to Poland and was aware of their culture. I knew that they were fully capable of integrating into Irish culture, or at least, operate parallel with our society. Not so with many African groups (I've been to a variety of African countries too) who have no comparative culture, and no desire to integrate. And no... I'm not worried about Africans taking Irish peoples jobs, since most of them struggle with the language or are lacking in real skills. I'm more bothered by the lack of integration, and the trouble than comes from second gen migrants, which lean towards violence/disruption... which can be seen in many countries in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Yeah, diversity never works out. It’s a failed experiment.

Which makes you wonder why they still continue with it, we had a chance here, unfortunately we're starting to see the seeds we've sown start to sprout.

Advertisement