Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

ef8.jpg

Justin Trudeau. Canadian Prime Minister with a history of blackface.

Ah right, it was the use of the term "his mate" that threw me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

FVP3 wrote: »
    Ah right, it was the use of the term "his mate" that threw me off.

They had a ‘sock thing’ if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Between politicians and the media they will create a problem that was never there before, people will resent this narrative being trotted out that we all need to check our "white privilege" 24/7.

And of course insert "male" in there as well if you have a ballsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Gimme here me cat of nine tails till I flagalate myself to repent for our white country......

Time for Leo to GTFO, stirring the racism pot at this moment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I bet in his half country 99,99% of public servants are Indians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There are business that won't open, we are still in a lockdown, hundreds of thousands are out of a job, the schools are closed......

..... and he comes out with this. The fact the Civil Service is white is the pressing concern of our time.

And none of the rest are any better. Its almost as if they want a divide.

Twitter isn't Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Das Reich wrote: »
    I bet in his half country 99,99% of public servants are Indians.

For sure and don’t mention the caste system and abject poverty and deprivation that brings, but sure they’re all the same race so that’s ok then. BLM matter no one else, remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

How to build problems; The Guide

1) Destabilise a country by inviting in anyone and everyone.

2) Anyone and everyone besides Irish people start complaining that the country isn't to their liking.

3) Start exclusionary programs to benefit people other than Irish in ireland.

Can't wait to see the successes of step 4, although the utopia of the United States society is a glimpse.

In all seriousness though, this is outrageous. Even the hint of what's to come, that some Irish people are going to be excluded to make way for someone else in a huge sector of the country's jobs. Bonkers. And it won't go unseen either.

This isn't the United States or the United Kingdom, and we owe nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I must check the civil service in Togo, Congo, Ethiopia, and see are there any Irish there.

I wonder are there groups of Japanese people, in Japan, stating in public:

there aren't enough Brazilians in Japan / Japanese schools / Japan's civil service, it's not fair, the public administration is too Japanese, we need to change that

Do Irish people, on holiday in Turkey, say out loud:

there are too many Turkish people teaching in Turkish schools, instead there should be less, and they should be replaced with Chilean people

It seems to be only here that we seem to be self-hating so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Leo: 'So, like I say, not enough non Irish. Lets get something for twitter, yeah?'
    Dept. Secretary: 'Maybe we can let the asylum seekers apply? Boost the numbers? We have about 10,000 pending decisions there?'
    Leo: 'Ah now Humphrey - there was a bandwagon there that I missed last week.....lets not get carried away with ourselves'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

From now on when you call a government department you will be greeted by a recorded apology for the number of white people working in that department as well as an assurance that less white people will be hired going forward leading eventually to their target of a white free workforce by 2030.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Sorry but, like everyone else, black people are just going to have to accept that the only way you can get into the Irish Civil Service is by being the best person for the job a family member or GAA teammate of someone who already works there. Fair is fair, like. :D

Joking aside, there have been many thousands of applicants for this years clerical officer campaign (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058060499). The absolute vast majority wont even get interviewed. Nice to know aul Leo is looking to push people of certain ethnicities to the front of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The man is a bit of an idiot, plus why have all the black lives matter protest in Ireland, where thousands of innocent unarmed black people have not been killed by Irish police. The USA has a huge problem with racism, but if black lives matter, why were 18 people murdered in Chicago on May 31st, the most violent day in 60 years in that city? The reality is black lives matter sometimes, but not all the time, and mostly not to other blacks. And to read the profiles of the deceased, none of them had a single enemy, and it is a mystery why they died. It is a very sad and unsafe environment in which to live, but as usual its the USA, and that's why people take notice, if it were two African tribes hacking the ****e out of each other, no one would give a fiddlers. Sad reflection on society that people who are so upset by everything call the shots, but their actual experience of troublespots and disadvantaged communities is precisely zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

The highest office in the land is held by a BAME gay man, yet the Irish are being bombarded daily with propaganda that we are racist bigots with white privilege.
    Come on folks, level with me whats the end game here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Still no quote. Don't make me call shenanigans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

He still hasn't condoned the thousands who took the streets, most without PPE and all during a Phase 1 stage of global pandemic, if anything he encouraged them.

All the while nearly a dozen native folks are daily laid to rest, and a close-contact surge has occured since the start of June, with the last two days of new cases (via CC, not normal community based) at the highest levels yet of 60% per day as the 'mode of transmission' of new cases. The type of close contact, non community spread, you expect find at a woke march about town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Have I got this right? According to the CSO, there are just over 43,000 people who describe themselves as 'Black Irish' in the 2016 Census. Just under 1% of the population.

The overwhelming amount of them have either arrived here, or were born here since 1998; 22 years. A substantial number of them are in school or college. It takes a couple of decades for people to work themselves into jobs in certain areas in foreign countries. The cicil and public service jobs tend to take longest, professional sport the shortest. So what's the issue with Varadkar? Instead of whinging about colour, he should be ensuring that there is no discrimination in recruitment of any kind, that all people get a fair chance based on ability.

Give it a couple of decades and they;ll be working in public an civil service jobs, in teaching or wherever. There'll be people with Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian, Nigerian, Chinese, Brazilian and 101 other ethnic origins working there eventually. It takes time, no need to force it at the detriment of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

People have lost the run of themselves after this Floyd murder. It was a very bad thing. Bad things happen often. To many people. Of all colours, sexes and creeds. Maybe it is the lockdown that has made so many crazy. How has a person who stuck a gun to the belly of a pregnant woman been hoisted up to be on murals with Martin Luther King? Surely there have been more deserving martyrs - innocent, ordinary people brutalised?
    The same people running around dribbling in the streets probably never heard of this man -
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.voanews.com/africa/rwanda-genocide-suspects-arrest-after-26-years-draws-praise%3famp
    He was arrested in Paris a couple of weeks ago. He had been a fugitive for 26 years, ever since he funded and supported the 100 day massacre of Tutsis by Hutus in 1994. In those days the deaths had to be rounded up to the nearest 100,000. No one lost their minds in the streets about Felicien Kabuga. The whole thing seems crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Akesh wrote: »
    Imagine the shock and horror in Leinster House when it was discovered that a country, where over 91% of the population are white, has a civil service that is 'very white'. To correct this error, he would like to use targets for the civil service to hire more minorities.

These kinds of targets are illogical and in no way should a public servant be hired on the basis of their skin colour or race but this is what he wants to introduce.

Is this just another reactionary policy in reaction to the death of George Floyd or does it have merit? Obviously recruiters in the civil service are racists otherwise there would be no need for such a policy/target.

80% of IT now are non Irish. That includes a lot of Spanish, Polish, Brazil and Indians. Other sectors, e.g. primary school teaching are almost exclusively Irish. This doesn't make sense and not very healthy. We need to embrace diversity much more particular some sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

KevRossi wrote: »
    Have I got this right? According to the CSO, there are just over 43,000 people who describe themselves as 'Black Irish' in the 2016 Census. Just under 1% of the population.

The overwhelming amount of them have either arrived here, or were born here since 1998; 22 years. A substantial number of them are in school or college. It takes a couple of decades for people to work themselves into jobs in certain areas in foreign countries. The cicil and public service jobs tend to take longest, professional sport the shortest. So what's the issue with Varadkar? Instead of whinging about colour, he should be ensuring that there is no discrimination in recruitment of any kind, that all people get a fair chance based on ability.

Give it a couple of decades and they;ll be working in public an civil service jobs, in teaching or wherever. There'll be people with Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian, Nigerian, Chinese, Brazilian and 101 other ethnic origins working there eventually. It takes time, no need to force it at the detriment of others.
    Go’way with your factual and sensible analysis..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Gruffalox wrote: »
    People have lost the run of themselves after this Floyd murder. It was a very bad thing. Bad things happen often. To many people. Of all colours, sexes and creeds. Maybe it is the lockdown that has made so many crazy. How has a person who stuck a gun to the belly of a pregnant woman been hoisted up to be on murals with Martin Luther King? Surely there have been more deserving martyrs - innocent, ordinary people brutalised?
    The same people running around dribbling in the streets probably never heard of this man -
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.voanews.com/africa/rwanda-genocide-suspects-arrest-after-26-years-draws-praise%3famp
    He was arrested in Paris a couple of weeks ago. He had been a fugitive for 26 years, ever since he funded and supported the 100 day massacre of Tutsis by Hutus in 1994. In those days the deaths had to be rounded up to the nearest 100,000. No one lost their minds in the streets about Felicien Kabuga. The whole thing seems crazy to me.

Boss you either haven't been following or you are pretending you haven't so we can go through all this again. I suggest you read up on why BLM exists and agree or disagree. Throwing out 'it's all mad Ted' isn't credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Imagine, a small island country in north western europe with no history of colonialism or ties to Africa has a ‘very white’ public sector. Given that we have very few direct flights to Africa and didn’t have them a long time, the number of ‘people of colour’ from Africa who managed to get here without setting foot in another safe country before claimed asylum here is more surprising that a ‘very white’ public sector.

There is no direct flights between Irish airports , Dublin to any African country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

80% of IT now are non Irish. That includes a lot of Spanish, Polish, Brazil and Indians. Other sectors, e.g. primary school teaching are almost exclusively Irish. This doesn't make sense and not very healthy. We need to embrace diversity much more particular some sectors.

The IT people have more than likely arrived here for the sole reason of working for better pay than at home or a new experience. The majority return home after a few years. I did the same myself; spent 16 years abroad.

To get a role as a National School teacher you need Irish, (yes I know there is a way around it), as it's a part of the curriculum. That's why so few non-nationals work in that area; they just don't have the Irish.

In my secondary school in the 80's we had a French national teaching French and a German teaching German. Made sense and as Irish was not a requirement they could teach it.

In Germany you need to be a German citizen (not resident) to get any post as a civil servant. I have fluent German, can get a public servant post there if I wish, not civil service*. There is a difference.

*I have done contract work for the German civil service on a number of occasions, but it's not a permanent position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

What are the benefits of diversity? What sectors need more diversity? Do we need more Nigerians working in the Post Office? More Germans milking cows? More Syrians working as Chefs? Why do people like you crave diversity when there is no factual basis for claiming that diversity actually achieves anything?

Hire the best candidate not someone because of their skin colour, religion, race, sexuality etc.

More nonsense pandering to the identity politics brigade tbh.

Akesh wrote: »
    What are the benefits of diversity? What sectors need more diversity? Do we need more Nigerians working in the Post Office? More Germans milking cows? More Syrians working as Chefs? Why do people like you crave diversity when there is no factual basis for claiming that diversity actually achieves anything?

Hire the best candidate not someone because of their skin colour, religion, race, sexuality etc.

More nonsense pandering to the identity politics brigade tbh.

Well they get money, housing, generally a massive boost in life.

In exchange for foregoing those opportunities yourself, you get to see them now and then.

It's a fair deal, Boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The Stormfrontisation of Boards.ie continues unabashed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

TheCitizen wrote: »

Thank god you arrived to alert us to it.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Bowie wrote: »
    Boss you either haven't been following or you are pretending you haven't so we can go through all this again. I suggest you read up on why BLM exists and agree or disagree. Throwing out 'it's all mad Ted' isn't credible.

Boss I have read up on it. I went to BLMs website right off the bat and read their aims and objectives. I do not agree with their aims. Defund the police. Empty prisons. Disregulate the nuclear family. Extremism in my view. Plenty of black people are coming out to say they do not agree either. And the street riots in Europe during a pandemic on behalf of Floyd are mad. It is a fashionable contagion.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Pure unadulterated nonsense, trying to shut down any civilized debate on shenanigans being pushed on Ireland by people unknown with a unknown agenda.

• Advertisement

Im aware that the name is associated with American nazis? I think.

Instead of literal nonsense, why don't you sell this idea to me...

"Irish people should be happy at the idea of being potentially excluded from one of the biggest employers in ireland because... "

Sell that idea to an Irish bloke trying to get a job in the Irish civil service, that they should accept a decrease in their odds of employment, no matter how small, BECAUSE he is Irish.

Advertisement