Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options

Comments

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Again Gelfira.org (who the poster was citing) that has zero credibility ignored and glossed over. Similar in ways to your comments about how in the last 10 years immigrants come to Ireland “expecting to be looked after etc.” Warped, incoherent, baseless, subjective “opinion” vomited on to these pages as if it was fact.

Hilarious.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A welfare state is not a good thing, its one of the reasons people pass all the other countries in Europe to land here and in the UK.

The lads already here probably have them told how easy it is to play the system and that they can appeal decisions numerous times free of charge because taxpayers will pay for it.

Sure it must sound like the land of milk and honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Leo has a point. Very few non Irish seem to be in the civil service.

Is there a plan for a quotering? Im not a fan of quotering myself but it does seem the way europe is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A welfare state is not a good thing, its one of the reasons people pass all the other countries in Europe to land here and in the UK.

The lads already here probably have them told how easy it is to play the system and that they can appeal decisions numerous times free of charge because taxpayers will pay for it.

Sure it must sound like the land of milk and honey.

See now this is what I’m talking about, welfare state is a safety net to stop people falling into severe poverty, it’s also a temporary measure, people on welfare have to take up jobs after a certain amount of time. The welfare state brought in in Britain after WW2 and adopted here was a step forward in society but on here characters like this fella and others want to strip it out and go back to the dark ages. Ridiculous nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

it’s also a temporary measure, people on welfare have to take up jobs after a certain amount of time.

There are plenty of people on welfare for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mick087 wrote: »
    Leo has a point. Very few non Irish seem to be in the civil service.

Is there a plan for a quotering? Im not a fan of quotering myself but it does seem the way europe is going.
    I have worked in the CS for quite a while it is indeed fairly white in my experience. But I will say I have worked with plenty of non Irish people.
    I think the make up is slowly changing over time.

I am really not sure quotas are the way to go.
    Open comps etc are already open and fair.

They’re going to talk about racism in the GAA now on the Sunday Game with Jason Sherlock, won’t go down well with the Alt Right brigade on here.

gmisk wrote: »
    I have worked in the CS for quite a while it is indeed fairly white in my experience. But I will say I have worked with plenty of non Irish people.
    I think the make up is slowly changing over time.

I am really not sure quotas are the way to go.
    Open comps etc are already open and fair.

I know what you mean about quotas, i dont ike them even the idea, but it does seem the way europe is going.

I will say Dublin bus does seem to have quite a lot of non irish drivers, I know Dublin bus did set about changing way back in the early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Attack the welfare state, another hallmark of the Far Right that are stinking this place out of it

Social welfare was created to help workers who fell out of work as a safety net so they wouldn’t fall through the cracks.

It’s now become a fishing net. We regularly read newspaper articles about people here who have never made a PRSI contribution in their time here, yet live on welfare.

It’s wrong and needs to stop.

mick087 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about quotas, i dont ike them even the idea, but it does seem the way europe is going.

I will say Dublin bus does seem to have quite a lot of non irish drivers, I know Dublin bus did set about changing way back in the early 00s.

Ahh well, I consider quotas to be something of a minefield... Someday, someone (with the financial resources) is going to get too annoyed at being discriminated against based on gender or race, and decide to take the State to court. The whole way.

It's obviously racist/sexist, which means it's being allowed because nobody has made enough of a stink about it. Only a matter of time until that happens.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    There are plenty of people on welfare for decades.

Been a long time since I was on the dole, I was under the impression that they bring you in after a while and get you to take up a job. There would be some people that are unemployable or who don’t want to work at all but you don’t get rid of the whole welfare state just cos of them.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Social welfare was created to help workers who fell out of work as a safety net so they wouldn’t fall through the cracks.

It’s now become a fishing net. We regularly read newspaper articles about people here who have never made a PRSI contribution in their time here, yet live on welfare.

It’s wrong and needs to stop.

Well I don’t know how that’s happening from my experience of the system

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Been a long time since I was on the dole, I was under the impression that they bring you in after a while and get you to take up a job. There would be some people that are unemployable or who don’t want to work at all but you don’t get rid of the whole welfare state just cos of them.

but nobody has advocated for removing the entire welfare state. Just removing JSA, seriously clamping down on disability & carers allowance and converting child benefit to a tax credit instead of a benefit payment would actually solve the issue.

We have the most disabled workforce in Europe, we have more 'carers' per capita than almost any country, we have a chronic issue with career single mothers. You say 'we can't get rid of the system cos of them' as if its 60-70 people in the whole country pulling some sort of scam, when the reality is well over 10% of recipients pulling some trick and in some welfare blackspots like darndale its likely well over 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Once again The Citizen thinks he's found an online sleeper-cell of Ireland's far-right when there's a discussion on the merits of various modes and types of immigration.

The man would have you believe that he'd actually allow a good-faith conversation on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Looks like it is in the programme for government to have a quota for ethnic minorities in the civil service.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Yurt! wrote: »
    Once again The Citizen thinks he's found an online sleeper-cell of Ireland's far-right when there's a discussion on the merits of various modes and types of immigration.

The man would have you believe that he'd actually allow a good-faith conversation on the subject.

Thought it was a woman:confused::eek:

but nobody has advocated for removing the entire welfare state. Just removing JSA, seriously clamping down on disability & carers allowance and converting child benefit to a tax credit instead of a benefit payment would actually solve the issue.

We have the most disabled workforce in Europe, we have more 'carers' per capita than almost any country, we have a chronic issue with career single mothers. You say 'we can't get rid of the system cos of them' as if its 60-70 people in the whole country pulling some sort of scam, when the reality is well over 10% of recipients pulling some trick and in some welfare blackspots like darndale its likely well over 50%

What’s JSA?

Clamp down on carers allowance and disability? People either qualify for that or they don’t.

Career single mothers? ‘Mon the 80’s.

The most disabled workforce in Europe? Again another sweeping statement with no foundation. Before Covid we were near full employment in this country. Doesn’t add up with your rhetoric.

Yurt! wrote: »

The commentary here is mostly echo chamber right wing stuff. I’m calling it what it is, course that might upset you but I’m not bothered about that, quite happy about it actually

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What’s JSA?

Clamp down on carers allowance and disability? People either qualify for that or they don’t.

The most disabled workforce in Europe? Again another sweeping statement with no foundation. Before Covid we were near full employment in this country. Doesn’t add up with your rhetoric.
    JSA is the payment you get when you run out of stamps or have never worked at all, usually what people mean when they say 'dole'
    JSB is the one people actually earn by paying PRSI to tide them over during short periods of unemployment. This payment absolutely nobody has an issue with.

the 'labour force' numbers don't include disabled people , so we can have full employment and still scamming going on there , as for 'sweeping statement' its well recognised, http://www.finfacts.ie/Irish_finance_news/articleDetail.php?Irish-working-age-disability-recipients-up-40-in-2006-2014-428
    Ireland's positive demographics suggest it should have a lower disability rate than other countries in Europe.
    The rise in Irish disability allowance beneficiaries by 40% in 2006-2014 compares with a 7% rise in the population over the period

single parents :
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/one-parent-families-above-eu-average-26786345.html
    Surprising new figures from Eurostat show nearly a quarter of Irish children live in one-parent homes (23.2pc), much higher than the European average of 13.6pc.

Ahh well, I consider quotas to be something of a minefield... Someday, someone (with the financial resources) is going to get too annoyed at being discriminated against based on gender or race, and decide to take the State to court. The whole way.

It's obviously racist/sexist, which means it's being allowed because nobody has made enough of a stink about it. Only a matter of time until that happens.

Yes i would agree quotas would be a minefield.

Well the ball is starting to roll so we see where this goes in time im sure.

• Advertisement

Lmao at the quotas. Most 'minorities' have neither the education nor the citizenship to work in the CS.

No one mentioned quotas bar those raging against a fairly mild conciliatory and non committal few comments from Leo Varadker. In fact Varadker made the point that he wasn’t talking about quotas, but on this thread loads of posters keep bringing it up.

That's sad AF lad. Calling people 'far right' just because they think different.

AF lad? It is far right commentary. It’s taken over the site though and the site is becoming a far right echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

What’s JSA?

It's fairly obvious that your not well read on topics/areas such as this. I'm not sure why people are engaging here with you on this as your not going to change your views on a generous welfare system/liberal migration policy no matter how much stats etc are put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

There's currently either a target or a quota of 3% for disabled people in the civil service.

JSA is the payment you get when you run out of stamps or have never worked at all, usually what people mean when they say 'dole'
    JSB is the one people actually earn by paying PRSI to tide them over during short periods of unemployment. This payment absolutely nobody has an issue with.

the 'labour force' numbers don't include disabled people , so we can have full employment and still scamming going on there , as for 'sweeping statement' its well recognised, http://www.finfacts.ie/Irish_finance_news/articleDetail.php?Irish-working-age-disability-recipients-up-40-in-2006-2014-428

single parents :
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/one-parent-families-above-eu-average-26786345.html

Your article on disability above also says;

“However, at 5% of the working age population in 2014, Ireland's rate is lower than several other Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) developed countries.“

Your article on single parent family numbers is being promoted by David Quinn from IONA pushing traditional Catholic culture and the figures are also disputed by another source towards the end of the article.

You appear to be cherry picking from the articles to forward your argument.

jay0109 wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that your not well read on topics/areas such as this. I'm not sure why people are engaging here with you on this as your not going to change your views on a generous welfare system/liberal migration policy no matter how much stats etc are put out.

There are posters putting up stats in articles that are disputed or in the case of the poster that linked to Gefira.org are totally discredited. Yeah sure, stop engaging with me, you can have the echo chamber to yourselves but no one in the real world will care

Or maybe you're just a lonney lefty and that's why everyone here disagrees with you?

Nope. It’s fast becoming a completely right wing echo chamber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

AF lad? It is far right commentary. It’s taken over the site though and the site is becoming a far right echo chamber.

To state that people who do not agree with you or share the same opinion as you are "far-right" is juvenile. What I have gathered 'on here' is when a thread is not going a persons way and they cannot control a thread they make claims like the above. or they just band together and mass report "far right" views. All opinions must be heard no matter how offensive or infuriating they might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The commentary here is mostly echo chamber right wing stuff. I’m calling it what it is, course that might upset you but I’m not bothered about that, quite happy about it actually

Immigration is an issue that needs thought and open discussion without recourse to silly games and unfounded slurs of racism when brought up.

You're playing woke bingo with your posting style trying shut people down, and they're standing up to you.

I'll put it this way, if someone like you was driving the bus in the Department of Justice, Ireland would be in deep trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

There are posters putting up stats in articles that are disputed or in the case of the poster that linked to Gefira.org are totally discredited. Yeah sure, stop engaging with me, you can have the echo chamber to yourselves but no one in the real world will care

That Gefira video was a recording from a marine traffic site, plenty of images online of NGO boats operating outside of international waters sometimes as close as one nautical mile from Libyas coast, there's been accusations of smugglers ringing ngo boats to give the location for pickup, there's been plenty of shady behaviour from these ships of purple haired warriors so much so that they've come under criticism from Frontex, european politicians and puppet boy Macron.

Advertisement