Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

No straight, white men need apply rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

da_miser wrote: »
    Pure unadulterated nonsense, trying to shut down any civilized debate on shenanigans being pushed on Ireland by people unknown with a unknown agenda.

I thought this thread was about the Taoiseach saying it would be good to have more people in the civil service that reflects the changing make up of the population.

I’m not an FG voter btw, but Leo Varadker’s statement on this (which hasn’t been quoted or directly linked to on here I don’t think) seemed a fairly mild mannered conciliatory type of comment that probably won’t lead anywhere.

The response on here though; pages of bile and rage to a very mild aspirational comment is very revealing of the far right attitudes that appear to have become very prevalent on this site. A tidal wave of racist bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Gradius wrote: »
    Im aware that the name is associated with American nazis? I think.

Instead of literal nonsense, why don't you sell this idea to me...

"Irish people should be happy at the idea of being potentially excluded from one of the biggest employers in ireland because... "

Sell that idea to an Irish bloke trying to get a job in the Irish civil service, that they should accept a decrease in their odds of employment, no matter how small, BECAUSE he is Irish.

That’s not going to happen and it’s not what Leo Varadker said at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

What he meant to say was the civil service is " very lazy" which everyone accepts but in the present climate he got mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

TheCitizen wrote: »
    That’s not going to happen and it’s not what Leo Varadker said at all

The obvious implication is...obvious.

Would you be in favour of positive discrimination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There are no direct flights between Ireland and Africa.
    Methinks they are only here for the richer pickings of a Social Welfare system.
    Many living around my area speak with English accents so I believe they spent a lot of time there before fleeing from a war torn England.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In 2006 40.000 people were Black - 1% of the population.
    In 2007 Nigerian refugee and politician Rotimi Adebari was elected as mayor of Portlaoise.
    That is inclusiveness.

There are more Chinese than Nigerians in Ireland.
    But they never make a fuss so it's easy to overlook them, like Leo just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

I thought this thread was about the Taoiseach saying it would be good to have more people in the civil service that reflects the changing make up of the population.

I’m not an FG voter btw, but Leo Varadker’s statement on this (which hasn’t been quoted or directly linked to on here I don’t think) seemed a fairly mild mannered conciliatory type of comment that probably won’t lead anywhere.

The response on here though; pages of bile and rage to a very mild aspirational comment is very revealing of the far right attitudes that appear to have become very prevalent on this site. A tidal wave of racist bile.

The only racism is the alleged anti white Irish type, posters are shocked that being white Irish could exclude you from getting a job you are qualified for, we could be potentially excluded from jobs in our own country for being white Irish , if true its OUTRAGEOUS, and heads should roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

I dont believe in positive discrimination per se. Is there not an open exam/ interview process for civil service recruitment? The better candidates should get the positions be they white, black, or purple with green spots. Or am I just naive?

biko wrote: »
    In 2007 Nigerian refugee and politician Rotimi Adebari was elected as mayor of Portlaoise.
    That is inclusiveness.

Know plenty of people from the Philippines , cousin married one, and see them working everywhere, not a word said about them, is it because 1, they are Asian and 2, they are Catholic.
    Much lower on the racism victim totem pole, not worthy of those suffering from white guilt defending , "sure aint they the same as me a catholic".

• Advertisement

bazza1 wrote: »
    I dont believe in positive discrimination per se. Is there not an open exam/ interview process for civil service recruitment? The better candidates should get the positions be they white, black, or purple with green spots. Or am I just naive?

Not naive, common sense, something that is in short supply these woke days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

What Varadkar said is clearly not popular, and that's natural, but there seems to be a certain light-heartedness about it still. We're assuming it's just talk, and nothing more will come of it.

What if non-white quotas were proposed for the civil service, and the relevant legislation was drawn up? Which political party would take the view of most here on Boards, and oppose it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

biko wrote: »
    That is inclusiveness.

The Chinese are too busy working and contributing to make a fuss. They have less time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Diversity and inclusion makes me laugh in my place. Huge efforts made to on the so called gender pay gap, LGBTQ inclusion and hiring people of colour too. But it is just certain minorities benefiting. There is not a hope in hell of my senior management hiring a traveller or Roma. It's a load of ****e - they don't give a fcuk about any of us and are just box ticking. If work is not getting done it just falls back on the more efficient and competent employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TheCitizen wrote:
    That’s not what he said and people have an issue with. He, by his own woke standards, made a racist comment based on people’s skin colour. Patethic defense. He/FG have been in power for a significant time; if there are barriers preventing minorities from getting into the Civil Service, Leo has played in part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bazza1 wrote: »

There is, and all points made at interview are written down and if the interviewee complains the text of the interview is marked by an independant reviewer out of 100, if they score over 65% they get the job even if the interviewer disagrees.

I've never come across a fairer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What Varadkar said is clearly not popular, and that's natural, but there seems to be a certain light-heartedness about it still. We're assuming it's just talk, and nothing more will come of it.

What if non-white quotas were proposed for the civil service, and the relevant legislation was drawn up? Which political party would take the view of most here on Boards, and oppose it?
    Probably the most illiterate one. Since speaking two languages in Ireland means English and enduring Irish in school just about any foreign candidate with half decent education would have an advantage. I'm not in favour of quotas but apparently some in the North are not too happy that police is only made of Protestants. You need public sector that's able to deal with all sort of communities and not just populated by children of small Irish farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

The only racism is the alleged anti white Irish type, posters are shocked that being white Irish could exclude you from getting a job you are qualified for, we could be potentially excluded from jobs in our own country for being white Irish , if true its OUTRAGEOUS, and heads should roll.

It's already the case that some straight males in Ireland get pipped at the post for some jobs just for being straight males, anyone working in a large multinational would most likely have come across that in recent years. We might as well throw in white straight male and that covers lots of bases to make sure more boxes ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

This is what the Media have been pushing the past week, using the BLM marches as the trojan horse. Quota's are coming and coming fast.

Admissions to college will no longer be solely based on CAO points. Civil Service exams and interviews will have targets to hit in minority appointments. Teacher numbers will have targets applied. Local Authorities will have direct appointments made.
    Large (Woke) MNC's will follow suit or even lead the way with their hiring policies.

This was always going to happen once the borders were opened in the early noughties, it is the next step on the ladder for the Migration cheer leading NGO's and practically all our political parties will support this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Sick and tired of the anti white people sentiment out there now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

So if you go for for an interview for a position in the civil service and you are better or equally as qualified as a Black/Asian/Pakistani etc..person you are at an immediate disadvantage because you are white.

Is that the future we want?

jay0109 wrote: »
    Large (Woke) MNC's will follow suit or even lead the way with their hiring policies.

They already do SAP in Citywest (300,000 employees worldwide I believe) were bragging at a recruitment event that they manage to hire 40% females even though only 10% of their appplicants are women and they "are working hard to bring this up to 50% in the future". I was told I was sexist by the people around me when I said I've no interest in applying if I'm doing so starting with a huge disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Old, white and female.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He's making a fool of himself over the last few days bladdering on about removing statues
    Which hairy Japanese english bastards are we removing? :pac:
    Maybe they'll do quotas for the Irish political parties. 40% women, 40% black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Old, white and female.

Where is Hilary when you need her?

the_syco wrote: »
    Which hairy Japanese english bastards are we removing? :pac:

Maybe they'll do quotas for the Irish political parties. 40% women, 40% black.

I think political parties already have a 30% female quota or else they cannot collect state funding. Of course all that means is if you're a man you have to bring a female friend or girlfriend or family member to put their name on the paper so you can get in and keep the numbers balanced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

kravmaga wrote: »
    There is no direct flights between Irish airports , Dublin to any African country

Marrakech? And the now discontinued Addis Ababa.

After race and gender quotas are enacted it wont be enough.
    "We white devils will have to pay for years of oppression of the BAME folk, so to balance it out whitey should be under represented in all jobs." -WokeFolk 2030

Your perception of bile and rage is far different from mine. Are you sure, you should be in CA, and not in some kind of cushioned safe space with pink rabbits and nature sounds in the background?

Same with racism... that's the really sad part of all this... you (and others like you) have broadened the meaning of the word so much, that it has very little actual impact or relevance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

meeeeh wrote: »
    Probably the most illiterate one. Since speaking two languages in Ireland means English and enduring Irish in school just about any foreign candidate with half decent education would have an advantage. I'm not in favour of quotas but apparently some in the North are not too happy that police is only made of Protestants. You need public sector that's able to deal with all sort of communities and not just populated by children of small Irish farmers.

Over 30% of the PSNI are catholic. So the statement that ""police is only made up of protestants" is utter nonsense

Advertisement