Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo says the Civil Service is 'very white'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The Irish gummint should foist suntanning sessions on the nation, period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya he’s a pure embarrassment. Complete imbecile.

I never even mentioned that in the middle of a worldwide pandemic the fool decides to abandon his post as leader of the country to answer phone calls.

Surely Leo had more important things to focus on than looking good to his Insta followers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    I never even mentioned that in the middle of a worldwide pandemic the fool decides to abandon his post as leader of the country to answer phone calls.

Surely Leo had more important things to focus on than looking good to his Insta followers

And everyone praising him. Of course he wouldn’t dream of putting on that sh*t he bought from China and doing a shift on a ward.

And let’s not forget his remarks about the CoVid19 payment, you will still receive more than what u earned before this , am why? What’s the logic behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

quo·​ta | \ ˈkwō-tə \ noun
    Definition of quota
    1: a fixed number or percentage of minority group members or women needed to meet the requirements of affirmative action. Will cause a large portion of said group to experience imposter syndrome and doubts for the rest of their lives if they have achieved the endeavours from hard work or merely because of what is between their legs or what shade their skin is.

How about we propose a brain quota for the dáil?

fin12 wrote: »
    And everyone praising him. Of course he wouldn’t dream of putting on that sh*t he bought from China and doing a shift on a ward.

And let’s not forget his remarks about the CoVid19 payment, you will still receive more than what u earned before this , am why? What’s the logic behind this?

Corse he wouldnt cos that **** was the usual cheap chinese crap weve got for years...but no like Simple Simon said about the Italians coming to Ireland for a rugby game that was cancelled,we cant stop them in case we might upset them.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Haha, I’ve a whole issue with that term, ‘minority group’... whom if anyone judges or qualifies someone as ‘belonging’ to a ‘minority group’ ?

I’ve lived for a time outside of Ireland. I never viewed myself or related my situation to anyone there that I belong to a ‘minority group’..

I went to work and I got a job with a European Government Agency based on ability, experience, aptitude etc... when I went for promotion I never threw off an email claiming “hey, don’t see too many of us Irish getting a ‘leg up’, I think I’m entitled... I simply recognized that those promoted ahead were more deserving and suitable candidates..they organization put its needs and those of who it serves front and center.

Ireland needs to be doing that, putting the needs of Irish people, all of it’s citizens front and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

When you think about it , The Irish Civil service SHOULD be very white if we are going on racial quotas , White Irish should be the VAST majority of the Irish civil service, is Leo simply stating a fact ?

"Charity begins at home"

Is that another saying that has been cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

KevRossi wrote: »
    Have I got this right? According to the CSO, there are just over 43,000 people who describe themselves as 'Black Irish' in the 2016 Census. Just under 1% of the population.

The overwhelming amount of them have either arrived here, or were born here since 1998; 22 years. A substantial number of them are in school or college. It takes a couple of decades for people to work themselves into jobs in certain areas in foreign countries. The cicil and public service jobs tend to take longest, professional sport the shortest. So what's the issue with Varadkar? Instead of whinging about colour, he should be ensuring that there is no discrimination in recruitment of any kind, that all people get a fair chance based on ability.

Give it a couple of decades and they;ll be working in public an civil service jobs, in teaching or wherever. There'll be people with Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian, Nigerian, Chinese, Brazilian and 101 other ethnic origins working there eventually. It takes time, no need to force it at the detriment of others.

Plenty of Irish people went overseas and had children with non-white people. Some of those children have chosen to come here, as their citizenship entitles them to.

It didn't take the Irish overseas several decades / generations to get into public service jobs. They knew full well that these jobs were the best way to raise their social status, so worked on getting them as quickly as possible. Equally, at home the requirement for Irish language to get in to the public service (now removed in many jobs) or to progress (still present in some) has been used to keep foreigners out.

Teaching is a particular issue: there is a cohort of non-white children who were born here, who go through the education system with no role models who look like them, or understand their cultural background. The Irish-language requirement means that qualified teachers from other countries who move here cannot even be considered for jobs.

Plenty of Irish people went overseas and had children with non-white people. Some of those children have chosen to come here, as their citizenship entitles them to.

It didn't take the Irish overseas several decades / generations to get into public service jobs. They knew full well that these jobs were the best way to raise their social status, so worked on getting them as quickly as possible. Equally, at home the requirement for Irish language to get in to the public service (now removed in many jobs) or to progress (still present in some) has been used to keep foreigners out.

Teaching is a particular issue: there is a cohort of non-white children who were born here, who go through the education system with no role models who look like them, or understand their cultural background. The Irish-language requirement means that qualified teachers from other countries who move here cannot even be considered for jobs.

Irish people didnt get special quotas to push them up the ladder:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Haha, I’ve a whole issue with that term, ‘minority group’... whom if anyone judges or qualifies someone as ‘belonging’ to a ‘minority group’ ?

I’ve lived for a time outside of Ireland. I never viewed myself or related my situation to anyone there that I belong to a ‘minority group’..

I went to work and I got a job with a European Government Agency based on ability, experience, aptitude etc... when I went for promotion I never threw off an email claiming “hey, don’t see too many of us Irish getting a ‘leg up’, I think I’m entitled... I simply recognized that those promoted ahead were more deserving and suitable candidates..they organization put its needs and those of who it serves front and center.

Ireland needs to be doing that, putting the needs of Irish people, all of it’s citizens front and center.
    White privilege in action, 100% no doubt about it!

.....non-white children who were born here, who go through the education system with no role models who look like them, or understand their cultural background. s.
    So white Irish women go abroad,
    get knocked up by Black, Brown ,Yellow men
    These men disappear and leave the white Irish women with the children,
    When the White Irish women come home with their babies,
    White Irish folk are to blame for all the problems that these children face?
    Well i ask one simple question, "Where is the father?"
    Could all the child's problems be solved by having a father in their life?
    Why blame racism, when the children have no father in their life?
    Why is lack of father not a issue?
    Why blame racism when obvious reason is lack of father for child going off the rails?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If they get their way and bring in another million or more we will eventually be eradicated....

Cheap labour is where it really lies.
    They want all these coming in for direct provision as they need to keep their palls happy and some of themselves as they bought hotels and such to avail of the huge payouts for housing them using these services.

Madness when you do hear ones on giving out about conditions and how terrible us Irish treat them and they're there like 10 years maybe even more..... Hold on a minute why in all that is as holy as a rat's a#s is this even allowed carry on where they stay for all these years.

If your asylum is rejected then back you go but no not how it works here......

We are been seriously played here and we are been made absolute mugs out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hes fcuked it all away...hes a populist moron who thinks the majority of the population shares their opinion on social media...hes done for,thank god.

Pretty much my own thoughts as well. Government by Twitter Poll and he will still be portrayed as a right wing tory by the left. There are no sane centerists parties, its varying degrees of left or very very right.

The thing about this is it will change naturally over the next few years as other ethnicities have children grow up in Ireland, who are educated by the Irish system, and enter the Civil service. Its not something that needs to be pushed (or afraid of).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eprndrgst

Not only is he white, he is ginger. :)

Double whammy!! 🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

da_miser wrote: »
    Back in my youth, Phil Lynott was not black , he was Irish.
    Paul McGrath was not black, he was Irish and the best defender in the world.
    So what has changed, i know its a outside force pushing this racism on Ireland, but the question is why?

Totally this "movement" in Ireland has the potential to become more divisive than inclusive, enforcing stereotypes on both sides and breeding resentment.

Irish people getting tied up in this American shlt are complete and utter morons. I was predicting this importation of American issues ten years ago on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'd rather people were hired based on their ability and hard graft rather than some racist quota proposed by the Taoiseach and PBP. I couldn't care less about the colour of someone's skin, their nationality, etc.

Generations of Irish people emigrants never received handouts. They did well because they worked hard and grasped opportunities, and there were no quotas for them! There are lots of people who have moved to Ireland and are doing well for the same reasons, regardless of their skin colour or nationality.

As other people have said, it will evolve naturally over time, just like the integration of Irish emigrants in other countries evolved over time.

There are plenty of hard-working immigrants in Ireland that are probably insulted by the Taoiseach's racist quota proposal. We could end up with a situation where a Lithuanian person and a Latvian person apply for a civil service job and if the Lithuanian person is the best qualified for the job, they could be told "Sorry, you're the best person for the job, but we're looking for Latvian people to fill a quota". Insert any nationalities into that example, I just picked two at random.
    Hes fcuked it all away...hes a populist moron who thinks the majority of the population shares their opinion on social media...hes done for,thank god.
    I'm still amazed that he sets his sail in line with the lunatics on Twitter and de Facebuke luvvies. Both places are echo chambers for thickos and extremists, with Twitter being particularly toxic. It's not in anyway reflective of most ordinary people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

Varadkar is a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

GazzaL wrote: »
    I'd rather people were hired based on their ability and hard graft rather than some racist quota proposed by the Taoiseach and PBP. I couldn't care less about the colour of someone's skin, their nationality, etc.

Generations of Irish people emigrants never received handouts. They did well because they worked hard and grasped opportunities, and there were no quotas for them! There are lots of people who have moved to Ireland and are doing well for the same reasons, regardless of their skin colour or nationality.

As other people have said, it will evolve naturally over time, just like the integration of Irish emigrants in other countries evolved over time.

There are plenty of hard-working immigrants in Ireland that are probably insulted by the Taoiseach's racist quota proposal. We could end up with a situation where a Lithuanian person and a Latvian person apply for a civil service job and if the Lithuanian person is the best qualified for the job, they could be told "Sorry, you're the best person for the job, but we're looking for Latvian people to fill a quota". Insert any nationalities into that example, I just picked two at random.

I'm still amazed that he sets his sail in line with the lunatics on Twitter and de Facebuke luvvies. Both places are echo chambers for thickos and extremists, with Twitter being particularly toxic. It's not in anyway reflective of most ordinary people.

You may not already know this but in a lot of multinationals in Ireland they already have inclusion policies in hiring, ie a candidate from a “minority” would be given preference over a candidate from the “majority”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's pretty ahistorical. To use New York as just one example, the Irish community in the 19th century and up until FDR's time, were massive beneficiaries of Tammany Hall poltics.

Even today, there's strong Irish-American patronage networks in New York that pass the ball between themselves in various industries and use politics to do it.

Ethnic politics in the US stinks. It's part of the reason it's such a fractured society. It's not something we should be introducing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

thomas 123 wrote: »
    You may not already know this but in a lot of multinationals in Ireland they already have inclusion policies in hiring, ie a candidate from a “minority” would be given preference over a candidate from the “majority”.

That's private companies, big difference between that and the state enforcing a transparently racist policy. You can boycott a private company for being racist by not hiring white people on an equal basis but for the state to do it is altogether ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

thomas 123 wrote: »

Wish these opportunities would trickle down into my 'minority' community, one which the government recently recognised as one of the most severely marginalised in Ireland and which research shows has 87pc unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There is a notable absence in this thread of posters who are usually very vocal about the scourge of racism, calling out racism etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100%, especially twitter, it’s a fûcking cesspool of ‘cause fanatics’ ...

Always liked the saying.. “turn a deaf ear to those who shout the loudest, honest people don’t need to raise their voices”.

The tide needs to turn... there is a predicament now whereby thanks to our Taoiseach jumping into the sack with the extreme nut job element, me or anybody in a situation where being white and Irish perhaps going for a job are going to be at a disadvantage, from the get go.

I’ve been sat in a room with 4 other candidates, saying to myself.. “ ok, I’m reasonably happy that I have enough in my armor to get this job, I’ve a good cv, experience, excellent references, I can talk myself up in interviews, this job CAN be mine, I’m confident, let’s do this.”

Now I’m almost looking at this situation where being injected with a racism bug, I’m thinking... if a person walks into to the room, a non native Irish person, I’m probably pretty fûcked...I’m going to fall victim to a quota system. The country which I’ve been born in, worked in, paid my taxes in, all my life... is going to turn around and discriminate against me, because I’m Irish... I’m going to go in there, give the interview of my life, bamboozle them with facts, competencies, ambitions, examples of flexibility etc.. I don’t care if I’m beaten to the job by whomever from whatever background...if they deserve it on merit, good luck to them. Be they originally from Ballyhaunis, Bangladesh, Beiruit or Ballyfermot... all I want, all I believe I’m entitled to is a fair shot. Quotas, don’t give people fair shots, the opposite only, it’s discriminatory. It should be illegal although I’d like to see what the EU makes of that.

If there IS a quota system, NOBODY has a fair shot. In fact the very idea that Ireland would be a fair and safe place to live would be blown out of the water completely...

Enabling one cross section of society, to the detriment of others, who may be more deserving, is not fair, right or acceptable.

That's private companies, big difference between that and the state enforcing a transparently racist policy. You can boycott a private company for being racist by not hiring white people on an equal basis but for the state to do it is altogether ridiculous.

Point being if it’s accepted privately the Government/policy makers will have no issue making it a public policy.

Lets be real any friction to this idea would be labeled racist and would not be given any platform from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

There is a notable absence in this thread of posters who are usually very vocal about the scourge of racism, calling out racism etc.

A few have turned up, one spouting about the new storm front or some such.

A few have turned up.

Lol - it’s before wake up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Does leo not understand that our overly generous Welfare system makes it more attractive for people to sit on their hole having kids than it is to work . A lot of these people came over during a boom in this country and went straight on unemployment benefit , most of them couldn't work to warm themselves. That's why most employment here is very white except for taxi driving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I think we have to view this with a bit of balance, particularly as Ireland’s is becoming more diverse. If there are barriers to entry. or some kind of issue with recruiting people then we need to look at it.

If it’s just a case of Ireland becoming more diverse quite rapidly and people of different backgrounds are only starting to appear in those kinds of organisations, then it could simply be a time lag.

However, it’s still important to monitor it and ensure we don’t have issues like that.

I know one of the things that surprises me quite a bit is that we don’t have Polish as a signifiant subject in schools. There’s a big population of Polish speakers here and surely some of them must have degrees in Polish and other subjects and could be recruited into teaching?

I mean it’s as significant a language as say Italian, yet I still just see Irish schools offering primarily French and some German and Spanish perhaps.

There have to be other language groups out there too, who should be brought into the education system. It’s an opportunity for the whole country in terms of multilingualism and having native speaker teachers.

I just can’t understand why we aren’t seeing more diversity or language amongst teachers.

You might rarely encounter a native French or German speaker in schools here, but you would really expect a lot more of it at this stage, which would seem to indicate there are significant barriers be they cultural or formal that are resulting in people not considering going into teaching. .

You have to look at that kind of thing across the whole public sector. If you don’t you can inadvertently end up with a whole public sector that doesn’t look much like the population it serves.

Also the Irish language barrier is not relevant, as if you’ve been through the school system here, you’ve learn it.

We could just look at how we could make people feel they could and should consider these careers.

Advertisement