Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan and that word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1271056823714545664

I don't see anything particularly wrong here and why the rest of the veg are in such a twist this evening. He was arguing against racism.

If there is anyone in the Dáil who would not have a racist bone in their body it has to be Eamon Ryan.

What you think?

I think his use of the term 'othered' is cringeworthy and offensive to my ears. When he said the N word he said it like the word was going to slap him if he said with any sort of conviction. This clown is going to part of the next government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

patsman07 wrote: »
    Was it bravery or stupidity? Surely he knew the reaction this would provoke?

If he thinks it's a bit ridiculous/racist that white people can't use the word but black people can, then fair play.
    If he was ignorant of this then he's even more incompetent than I thought.

It's not bigoted, racist or offensive to quote somebody, in my humble opinion.

So would you share my view that he should have stood over what he had said, rather than yielding to the predictable avalanch of faux outrage from the usual suspects and apologising?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So would you share my view that he should have stood over what he had said, rather than yielding to the predictable avalanch of faux outrage from the usual suspects and apologising?

The outrage on this occasion is coming from his own supporters it seems. I'm not sure anyone else cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

NIMAN wrote: »
    I suppose 7% reduction in emissions is the least of his worries now.

Keeping his mouth shut would probably contribute half of that reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I feel dirty providing this with more coverage it deserves but this is just a whole pile of nonsense when the state is in the depths of a major financial meltdown and not a government formed in the past four months to sort it out, as well as the multitude of other issues this country has going on anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The outrage on this occasion is coming from his own supporters it seems. I'm not sure anyone else cares.

And, seeing as they won't accept his apology, issuing it didn't make any difference. He should have stuck to his guns and shown a bit of bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ryan obviously cannot afford “advisers”. You know, to tell him what to say and write his Woke, right on speeches.

But he will not be leader of the Greens for long I reckon. And I hope the Greens head off into the sunset very soon.

Their policies are only useful for the rich, and those who do not fear lots of punitive tax measures, oh and cyclists of course. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

The norm for years now is that there is no context in which using the n-word is ok for a non-black person. That’s the norm and the fact that Ryan didn’t seem to know this while giving a speech about racism is pathetic.

There was no malice intended and no feelings of anger warranted. I just wonder what other things he talks about with such conviction despite being completely ignorant of them.

He's standing in Dail Eireann making a fine anti-racism speech and he still ends up considered a racist. Madness.

The response to his apology was as bad - "This is a good first step but now you need to do x, y and z." and other such cobblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

...double....

• Advertisement

... another error...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He was right to apologise. Simply because the word is offensive and even though he used it out of stupidity, it's still offensive.
    It's not about appeasing the 'permanently outraged' or what ever term the bigots of the new age are using, it's about holding his hand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The question now is that clearly Eamon is a liability and keeps putting his foot in his mouth. It's embarrassing for the party.

Catherine Martin doesn't really have to do much. Her chances of becoming leader are much better now.

She needs to drop the insistence on appointing her brother AG in any new government for a start. Its a sticking point for FG. I thought the GP were above nepotism but sure there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The norm for years now is that there is no context in which using the n-word is ok for a non-black person. That’s the norm and the fact that Ryan didn’t seem to know this while giving a speech about racism is pathetic.

I think we've had enough of that Voldemort bollixology at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

KaneToad wrote: »
    Foot in mouth is a common thing for politicians

Is the issue that she implied her staff were lazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Storm in a teacup. Absolutely ridiculous over the top reaction. Primarily by the permanently outraged and those with a political agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

What I want to know is, who in the Dail said it 16 years ago?

Do they have a flip chart in the Dail bar "It's been X days since the last n-bomb"

Jaysus soon those masks will ensure we say NOTHING anymore for fear of offending anyone..

It has gone too far now. The vast majority of people are not racist, they live and let live. I don’t get all this hype at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1271092560413540352

This Green Party councillor has the same "privilege" as Eamon which I guess means being white.

• Advertisement

Honestly, this whole Woke Thing is really curbing our freedom of speech to say anything. I’m sick of it now.

Fear of speaking is the first wave of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Okay I'd seen the apology from Eamon Ryan and had seen the tweets from his fellow Green Party members and have just seen the video. Honestly the way some Green Party members were going on you'd swear Eamon Ryan had just said the word for the laugh. Its clear he's highlighting the reality of racism in Ireland and the horrible words used against people of colour in this country. And I'm no fan of him but even this seems a bit over the top.

Have we lost the ability to understand context and see intent in this country ? Racism and every other ism should be rightly called out when it happens but intent more than context is important in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Just because its the norm doesn't mean its right. People shouldn't get into trouble for saying any word if there is no intent behind it like in the case above.

Why should it be ok for a black person born in the last 40 years? 99% of them didn't go through the racism that their prior generations did. How they use it too is pretty despicable. Nothing shows respect for your oppressed ancestors more than putting your hand on your nut sack shouting out the n-word repetitively in quick succession, eh?

TuNFZwp.png

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Okay I'd seen the apology from Eamon Ryan and had seen the tweets from his fellow Green Party members and have just seen the video. Honestly the way some Green Party members were going on you'd swear Eamon Ryan had just said the word for the laugh. Its clear he's highlighting the reality of racism in Ireland and the horrible words used against people of colour in this country. And I'm no fan of him but even this seems a bit over the top.

Have we lost the ability to understand context and see intent in this country ? Racism and every other ism should be rightly called out when it happens but intent more than context is important in these situations.

It seems the often hysterical reactions to everything muttered by Johnson or Trump is creeping in here.

Often it's the Irish on Twitter that are the most vocal and hysterical about Trump and Johnson.

Eamon Ryan now on the receiving end of this trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Have we lost the ability to understand context and see intent in this country ?

We most certainly have. This was an anti-racism speech. You'd swear it was the opposite. What a load of idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I have absolutely no problem with Eamon saying that word but would he not have a bit of common sense to see the obvious backlash that was going to come from the usual suspects? Never mind that his leadership of the Green Party is far from certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

crossman47 wrote: »
    We most certainly have. This was an anti-racism speech. You'd swear it was the opposite. What a load of idiots.

And jaysus in the clip you can sees he's uncomfortable saying the word. That's shows his intent imo. I'd be much more critical if he'd just said it as if it was another word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Burn your rap albums!

🙈🙉🙊

Green Councillor Daniel Whooley has rejected Eamon's apology in a tweet written earlier.

The Greens are at war and this is a party that is about to enter government.

• Advertisement

And jaysus in the clip you can sees he's uncomfortable saying the word. That's shows his intent imo. I'd be much more critical if he'd just said it as if it was another word.

Much more critical?

Some people are itching to get outraged about this.

Advertisement