Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan and that word

Options

Comments

Green Councillor Daniel Whooley has rejected Eamon's apology in a tweet written earlier.

The Greens are at war and this is a party that is about to enter government.

Ya love to see it really

Great bit of drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

coinop wrote: »
    Don't see the problem with saying n!gger in a quote context but I'm quite happy to play along with the outrage mob to watch the Greens tear themselves apart.

As long as it gets Fail the Gaels out of Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ya love to see it really

Great bit of drama

Absolutely.

Who knew this morning that the leader of the Green Party would be caught up in a racism row.

It doesn't bode well for the party. They must be cringing tonight.

Outraged people against outraged people. Great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    As long as it gets Fail the Gaels out of Government.

Who do you think will replace them? SF got less than 25% of the vote, but are toxic to all other parties, meaning they failed miserably to put together a coalition of the left, a ‘coalition of change’. The high point was their letter writing.

Who do you think will replace them? SF got less than 25% of the vote, but are toxic to all other parties, meaning they failed miserably to put together a coalition of the left, a ‘coalition of change’. The high point was their letter writing.

Who would have ever taught,

eamonn ryan,the most harmless,mild mannered,somewhat boring politian would become embroiled in a racism row and collaspe government before its even formed.......

2020 is the gift,that keeps on giving :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Absolutely.

Who knew this morning that the leader of the Green Party would be caught up in a racism row.

It doesn't bode well for the party. They must be cringing tonight.

Outraged people against outraged people. Great fun.

So its racist to quote the word?

What if I were quoting lets say a line from The Hateful 8 spoken by Samuel L Jackson which contains that word.

Is it racist that I quote that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ninthlife wrote: »

What if I were quoting lets say a line from The Hateful 8 spoken by Samuel L Jackson which contains that word.

Oh I've no opinion really on what he said suffice to say that he's a complete idiot at best.

But this is a racism row and will be termed like that.

Some of his own councillors have condemned his words and rejected his apology.

It's a political car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Oh I've no opinion really on what he said suffice to say that he's a complete idiot at best.

But this is a racism row and will be termed like that.

Some of his own councillors have condemned his words and rejected his apology.

It's a political car crash.

I agree that he should have had more sense and not used the word but for people to suggest he is racist based on him quoting what an individual was called is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ninthlife wrote: »

As said earlier, I don't believe Eamon Ryan has a racist bone in his body, his use of the word was a an absolute mistake/poor choice of word to use in the Dail (quote or no quote) - but at this particular time, given what is going on in the world, and with his leadership being challenged and in the mouth of potential govt formation makes the simple mistake into a monstrous one.

It's almost like he doesn't want to lead the greens/and or see them in govt.

eamonn ryan,the most harmless,mild mannered,somewhat boring politian would become embroiled in a racism row and collaspe government before its even formed.......

Well I did question early in the thread whether his intent in making the comment was to lose the upcoming leadership campaign so it became someone else’s problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How can this crowd be part of a government? It would be a sh!t show. They are a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is sickening the reaction from some of his so called colleagues.

The guy was trying to make a point in support of a minority, questionable what he said but what has occurred has exposed the Green Party.

Some of their councillors are no better than the other green party in Ireland, disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

How can this crowd be part of a government? It would be a sh!t show. They are a mess.

They surely can't. Imagine the circus theyd create over the most minor governmental mistake and try bring down the government...

Leo and Micheal should stay well clear of these jokers,.

Leo bitching that the civil service is too white...Eamon rambling on about ****...

Wtf is going on??

It is ****ed up alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

bfa1509 wrote: »
    What I want to know is, who in the Dail said it 16 years ago?

Do they have a flip chart in the Dail bar "It's been X days since the last n-bomb"

Martin Ferris, during a debate on the Maritime Security Bill (2004). Ruairi Quinn used it in 2004 too, during a debate on the 27th Amendment (citizenship referendum). Prior to that, both Michael Creed and Proinsias De Rossa used it in 1999.

"If we are to be honest, many of us have made similar comments and it is only afterwards that we question whether those comments are indicative of racist tendencies. We have often made comments such as "working like a n****r" or "am I black or what?" if one is queuing for a drink for ages." - Michael Creed, 24/11/1999

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

It would appear that the new breed in the green party are weasels, jumping on any opportunity. This is a non event and if Ryan has any sense he should purge them from the party. If Varadker and Martin have any sense they wouldnt touch the greens with a barge pole and if Varadker has any sense he should call a general election and wipe out the greens, ff and sinn fein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hes not the first Green Party Td to use unparliamentary language :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not so long ago poor Eamon was surrounded in scandal over #saladgate :pac:

Anyway, the guns are out from some of the flakes in his party. There is no coming back. By the speed of the statements and tweets indicate strongly there is a coordinated plan already in place to oust him and has been for a while. I'd wager some secondary watsapp group.

Catherine Martin was quick to declare her ambitions for leadership that day on the back of a letter. People are not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Poor ould Eamon. We will have to shorten the alphabet. An I can no longer be cyan I, he may be called a T but not that T. Neither can he be called a G, it might. E associated with an RG and that is discrimination. He will be rightly disgusted if you called him a P.

On the Us.sn I is no longer an I. And the I that is no longer an I cannot be called a P. Neither can be called a PT, and regerinyto him as a H , an S or a JF is wrong as well. Life can no longer an be referred to as s B and you cannot ride one either.
    Poor oldy Eamon, he read out a but in the newspaper but forgot to say N instead of N

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

And, seeing as they won't accept his apology, issuing it didn't make any difference. He should have stuck to his guns and shown a bit of bottle.

that not the beta male way

• Advertisement

The norm for years now is that there is no context in which using the n-word is ok for a non-black person. That’s the norm and the fact that Ryan didn’t seem to know this while giving a speech about racism is pathetic.

There was no malice intended and no feelings of anger warranted. I just wonder what other things he talks about with such conviction despite being completely ignorant of them.

so the PC brigade handed down that rule like moses from the mount ?

i know they believe they get to set the conditions of discourse but its not the case ( just yet )

Honestly, this whole Woke Thing is really curbing our freedom of speech to say anything. I’m sick of it now.

Fear of speaking is the first wave of control.

you aint seen nothing yet , wait until the planned " hate speech " laws are enacted

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

they'd be the first ones to be outraged at a FF/FG deputy saying the same thing, so I believe its worthy of his resignation as he has to be held to the standards the party holds others to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

abff wrote: »
    Storm in a teacup. Absolutely ridiculous over the top reaction. Primarily by the permanently outraged and those with a political agenda.
    It's been stirred by elements in his own party trying to oust him. They're taking whatever opportunity they can in the hope that he stands aside and hands the reins to Martin rather than having to go through a leadership battle.

There is no rational person who considers this to be a major mistake by Ryan.

Whatever about the idea that a word being "banned" in any context is absurd, the political reality is that saying it will be used as opportunity by populists to get a knife in. And it's a really easy tripwire to avoid.

He shouldn't have apologised, he should have told people to cop on, but Ryan doesn't have the backbone for that kind of politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

seamus wrote: »
    It's been stirred by elements in his own party trying to oust him. They're taking whatever opportunity they can in the hope that he stands aside and hands the reins to Martin rather than having to go through a leadership battle.

There is no rational person who considers this to be a major mistake by Ryan.

Whatever about the idea that a word being "banned" in any context is absurd, the political reality is that saying it will be used as opportunity by populists to get a knife in. And it's a really easy tripwire to avoid.

He shouldn't have apologised, he should have told people to cop on, but Ryan doesn't have the backbone for that kind of politics.

Spot on. There's no outrage coming from anyone who doesn't have a direct agenda to see him deposed as leader of the party that wouldn't exist only for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is it any wonder that the vast majority of 'green' minded people don't vote for the ridiculous left wing talking shop that the Green party has become. Ryan shouldn't have apologised to the virtue signallers in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    that not the beta male way

Accepted. And I know that Vicky wears the trousers in Chez White.

Eamon has been a friend of mine for the past 20 years or more and, after last summer's European elections when that complete airhead from Mayo (Saoirse McCretin or somesuch) was hogging the airwaves, I urged him to walk away from the lunatics before they destroyed him. He laughed and changed the subject. Sadly, I suspect that he's not laughing now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There are so many gobshytes out there just itching to be offended so that they have something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Is it just me who feels outrage to his comments is very patronising. It is hard to judge what black people or people of colour feel but judging by comments of callers to Ciara Kelly the non white Irish understood what he was trying to do and some white callers condemned him. Shouldn't we listen to people at who the slur is leveled and not at someone who thinks they are the judge what people of colour should be outraged by.

An awful lot of people around here dismiss the experience of black Irish as wrong because they don't want to hear how they were or are really treated. But on the other side there is a group of people who think they need to be spokespeople for the black people. The result is that neither side is listening the victims of racism because they think they themselves know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

This reminds me of the " Jehovah" sketch from Life of Brian. "No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say Jehovah"

Advertisement