Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan and that word

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

Nonsense.

Next they be wanting the resignation of the guy who printed the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

trashcan wrote: »
    This reminds me of the " Jehovah" sketch from Life of Brian. "No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say Jehovah"

Is it permissible to mention Monty Python these days - have they not been blacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Jim Root wrote: »
    **** in his party quick to jump on the virtue signalling bandwagon. All allied to the contending leadership candidate, of course. Grubby politics, disappointing from the Greens

More like typical from the Greens.

That's what you get if you lead a group of prissy busy bodies obsessed with nannying and policing others

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

There's a rap group who call themselves "Niggaz with attitude", and that's precisely what they are. No DJ who plays any of their tracks dare call them that, or they would almost certainly be sacked. Instead they always refer to them as "NWA". How absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's the usual suspects in the Greens getting their knickers in a twist (I'm sorry if any woke person is offended by my use of the word 'knickers').

The ones who don't like Ryan, despite the fact he brought them from 2 seats to 12 in the most recent election, and let them to their most successful local and European elections last year.

It's utterly insane what is going on.

With friends like that.....

Mind you, if it spares the rest of the country the appalling vista of having the Greens with their wokeness and desire to tax the living bejaysus out of the rest of existence, and decimate rural Ireland, maybe some good will come out of this.

The Greens are sometimes described as Fine Gael on bicycles, maybe that was true back in 2007 when they were last in Government, but the modern Greens are Labour on bicycles, what with their left wing PC virtue signalling wokeness and adopting all sort of 'agendas', telling us about checking our privilege and so on.

Some of those on the far left with their virtue signalling are just infuriating and actually end up repelling people who they should be trying to win over, like the manufactured outrage over Ryan's comments, when anyone who knows even the first thing about the man knows he's the last person you could call a racist.

Of course their only interest in minority groups is when the said minority groups vote the way they want them - defect from what the minority group is supposed to do or vote, and their 'tolerance' disappears straight away. If Leo Varadkar was a leader of a more left wing party he would never have received the homophobic abuse he got from some during the election, but I suppose because he's the leader of Fine Gael (which is at most a centrist party by European standards, and is almost far left by UK standards) he's not the 'right' sort of gay or a proper one in the eyes of the woke brigade :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Greens seem to have an “ ISIS” branch in their midst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

thebaz wrote: »
    Maybe I've been de-sensitised by listening to all that West coast Hip-Hop

West Coast hip-hop? never mind that loud rackety monotonous rubbish!

Those of us of an older more tuneful disposition may have in their record collections (remember them?) music from perfectly reputable white artists whose works occasionally included that word. None of them in a racist context.

I am thinking of:
    Bob Dylan
    Randy Newman
    John Lennon
    Tom Robinson

and that's just off the top of my head. None of them could be considered racist or bigoted. In fact, in all of the cases, the song in question is viciously critical of racism/sexism or even complacency about the same. But you probably couldn't play them on the radio nowadays. Or ever sing along to them.

For all that this is a secondary issue in the overall anti-racism effort, I think it is intellectually very dangerous to suggest (as people like Ice Cube have done) that certain words belong in ALL cases to people of an arbitrary group and that other people can not use them in ANY context, as Deputy Ryan did in the Dail.

I'm disappointed that he apologised for it. He did nothing wrong.

trashcan wrote: »
    This reminds me of the " Jehovah" sketch from Life of Brian. "No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say Jehovah"

Absolutley. Right on the money. And that film is 40 years old.

I suspect that very soon that film will get its "Government health warning" on Netflix or other streaming services, a la Gone with the Wind because of some of the "offensive" humour contained within.

Especially the Loretta sketch, with the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea.

Watch this space.

There's a rap group who call themselves "Niggaz with attitude", and that's precisely what they are. No DJ who plays any of their tracks dare call them that, or they would almost certainly be sacked. Instead they always refer to them as "NWA". How absurd.

Here's the lead singer and lyricist from that very group "calling out" comedian Bill Maher for his use of the word some time ago.

Fair play to Ice Cube: he made his point forcibly and eloquently and didn't get into a personal vindictive attack on Maher. His position is clear. I would respectfully disagree with him though. I don't think words "belong" to anyone based on an arbitrary assessment of skin colour. It's how they are used that's important.

Anyway, here's what he said.

Advertisement