Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous landlord keeps contacting us

Options
  • 11-06-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

last year in September our landlord decided to increase the rent by 25% and to limit the contract to end after the next 6 months. She asked us if we agree or in case that we don’t, she’ll let us out of the contract by end of October.

We didn’t agree. While we were able to pay the higher rent, the limitation to 6 months wouldn’t suit us at all. Luckily we found a suitable property to rent just in the next village and moved there. After telling our landlord that we agreed into a new tenancy, she offered us that we won’t have to pay the last rmonth of rent while she’d keep the deposit. We agreed.

Despite having an absolutely clean sheet with all our previous landlords and also our current landlord is totally happy how we behave, that one from last year, gives us a very hard time.

She complained that the house was not left clean enough, the garden was a mess and that she is missing furniture. After firing some letters on each other, I reminded her about a clause in the contract about the garden responsibilities (solely with the landlord, but we did some maintenance voluntary and on own expenses), told her that I have a video of the house after cleaning to prove the high standard of cleaning and that the furniture she is missing was never there during our tenancy and is not in our possession. Finally I told her to file a claim with the RTB. After this, she stopped writing.

Now, 8 months after we moved out, she starts again. Not only asking about the furniture again, she now claims, that she received an invoice from the electric power company months ago and that we should pay for it, including the deposit requested by the electric power supplier.

Even after I told her that I made a “moving house request” with the electric power supplier, took a photograph of the final meter reading which was transmitted to the electric power company and paid all charges up to the day, we moved out, she keeps on texting and demanding payment.

I told her again to go through the RTB but she won’t stop. Is there anything we could do to stop her from sending annoying text messages? I thought about to simply block her number, but I doubt that this would be a real solution, as she might starting with letters and emails again. Should I go to a lawyer as she might react to such a letter? Or can we file a complaint with the RTB about that?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ignore her?

Advertisement