If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundbar recommendation

Options
  • 11-06-2020 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Looking for a recommendation please for a new soundbar. 

I currently have a Samsung HW-K551 connected to a 55” Q9. I’m wondering is there something substantially better For general Tv use, watching sports, movies and streaming music. It’s going in an open plan L shaped kitchen/living room area. The area around the TV is approx 5M x 6M. 

I had been looking at some of the newer Samsung bars, particularly the ones offering Atmos (had a listen to the Q80R locally and was really impressed)but I had a new Tv unit built last year and the shelf where the soundbar sits will block any upward firing speakers so they’re out (pic attached) I’ve no room for rears either. 

I have been looking at the Sonos Beam but like to have decent bass so would be wanting the sub with it. Also considered adding a One SL to the kicthen area to extend the sound when playing music. Any thoughts on this setup? Considering the cost, how much of an improvement (if any) would it be over the K551?

Thanks! 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

DaveD wrote: »
    Hi folks

I currently have a Samsung HW-K551 connected to a 55” Q9. I’m wondering is there something substantially better For general Tv use, watching sports, movies and streaming music. It’s going in an open plan L shaped kitchen/living room area. The area around the TV is approx 5M x 6M. 

I had been looking at some of the newer Samsung bars, particularly the ones offering Atmos (had a listen to the Q80R locally and was really impressed)but I had a new Tv unit built last year and the shelf where the soundbar sits will block any upward firing speakers so they’re out (pic attached) I’ve no room for rears either. 

I have been looking at the Sonos Beam but like to have decent bass so would be wanting the sub with it. Also considered adding a One SL to the kicthen area to extend the sound when playing music. Any thoughts on this setup? Considering the cost, how much of an improvement (if any) would it be over the K551?

Thanks! 
    Hi DaveD

Apologies for the delay getting back to you!

I think if you are happy with the sound of the Samsung and like the bass the wireless subwoofer gives it wouldn't be a good idea to go for the Beam on it's own. The Beam sounds fantastic and would be better for music, plus the ability to add wireless speakers to it is more practical than the Samsung but I would recommend getting the Sonos Sub with the Beam to make up for the lack of bass from the Samsung! The Beam itself is £399 and the Sub is an additional £699!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Hi folks

Thanks! 
    Hi DaveD

I think if you are happy with the sound of the Samsung and like the bass the wireless subwoofer gives it wouldn't be a good idea to go for the Beam on it's own. The Beam sounds fantastic and would be better for music, plus the ability to add wireless speakers to it is more practical than the Samsung but I would recommend getting the Sonos Sub with the Beam to make up for the lack of bass from the Samsung! The Beam itself is £399 and the Sub is an additional £699!

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David. 

The big question I have I suppose considering the cost, Is the Sonos Beam and Sonos sub a noticeable upgrade in sound quality over the K551? 

Could you also double check the price for me on the sub? There’s only a white one on your website but it’s up for £569. I’d want a black one. 

Thanks! 

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi folks

Thanks! 
    Hi DaveD

Kind regards

David
    Thanks David. 

The big question I have I suppose considering the cost, Is the Sonos Beam and Sonos sub a noticeable upgrade in sound quality over the K551? 

Could you also double check the price for me on the sub? There’s only a white one on your website but it’s up for £569. I’d want a black one. 

Thanks! 
    Hi DaveD,

I think there would be a big upgrade in sound as the bar and the sub would be a big step above what you have already!

The Sonos Sub is actually a finished line so I don't have any black models left brand new unfortunately! I would only have an ex display model available for £520. It's in good condition but there are some surface scratches on it!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.