Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting HAP approved for shared accommodation?

Options
  • 11-06-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

First off don't judge me. Your taxes pay my rent but still, don't judge me.

Has anyone actually done this?
    Actually got HAP approved for rented accommodation?

I understand there's a mountain of paper work which is normally filled out by rental agencies but getting a private landlord to do that?
    Especially one that's just renting a bunch of rooms in a house?

Trying to familiarize myself with procedure here is all.

Has anyone actually successfully had HAP approved for renting a room by way of private landlord, and not an entire residence?

I understand it was way easier back when when it was rent allowance and you could mooch without the current bureaucratic protocol and endless contracts and paperwork to wade through. Cause all rent allowance required was a quick sign off by the landlord but now they've got to present tax compliance and building approval etc etc.

But I'm assuming they brought in the scrutiny of HAP to try and cut down on the mooching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You have to find a landlord willing to accept it, which is difficult.
    Find a property within its limits, which is difficult(see shared accommodation).

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

Other then that, I believe the process is pretty streamlined.

But considering the first two points, it would be easier to get a job and just pay normal rent in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Find a property within its limits, which is difficult(see shared accommodation).

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

But considering the first two points, it would be easier to get a job and just pay normal rent in most cases.

Alot of people who have jobs also have hap
    including myself and my partner

OP its hard to find a landlord that accepts it, but if you do you will save yourself a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CaughtUp2024

I've found a landlord who'll accept it though they've just said "yeah okay".
    I'm not sure if they actually understand what it entails.

In terms of being streamlined that's my concern.
    If someone accepts it but then finds out they have to fill out a mountain of paper work and be tax compliant where they're not, in addition to being subject to building inspections?

If it is actually straight forward, a case of "sign this and we're done" then aces.
    I can definitely find that.
    But it's the actually hassle of having to go through the HAP process that concerns me.

Then I'm not entirely sure what that hassle is comprised of....

If it's anything like the hassle for entire residence HAP and not just shared HAP then it's extremely long winded and painful.

Now that I think of it isn't it now law that all landlords are obliged to accept HAP?

As in it's illegal for them to NOT do so?

I'm not sure if that applies only for entire residence rentals or for shared accommodation also though...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Now that I think of it isn't it now law that all landlords are obliged to accept HAP?

I'm not sure if that applies only for entire residence rentals or for shared accommodation also though...?

They can't use it as a reason to not accept a tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's illegal to say "I'm not renting to you because you are HAP".
    It's legal for them to say no, without giving a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dinomite

If the op is using hap for accommodation in a private house via rent a room scheme, they are not subject to all the same restrictions as the person renting is not considered a landlord.

I've done this for a time - i.e. Rented rooms in my house and received hap. I didn't find the paperwork onerous... Just a couple of forms and no hassle. Also, I wasn't subject to the specific rental standards for hap as not landlord. I was very happy with the process.

dinomite wrote: »
    If the op is using hap for accommodation in a private house via rent a room scheme, they are not subject to all the same restrictions as the person renting is not considered a landlord.

I've done this for a time - i.e. Rented rooms in my house and received hap. I didn't find the paperwork onerous... Just a couple of forms and no hassle. Also, I wasn't subject to the specific rental standards for hap as not landlord. I was very happy with the process.

As in you weren't subject to the rental standards cause.... you're not the landlord?
    Or because you were subletting whilst you yourself were letting from a landlord?

"as the person renting is not considered a landlord"

Do you mean to say that they're not concerned the primary occupant?

But that the paper work is straight forward is good to hear cause for renting an apartment/house vs just a room, the paper work is insane for the former.

Do you recall whether the HAP payments took long to get approved?
    Cause normally they're done in order and the tenant must pay rent as normal until HAP payments straight coming in.

Advertisement