Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parts kits

• 11-06-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I’ve been browsing the internet recently and I stumbled across several parts kits for AR style rifle and for FN FAL rifles and I was wondering would these kits constitute a firearm? I know in America it’s just the lower receiver that is technically the firearm but is that the same in Ireland, or can I just go out and buy a lower receiver? The legal definition of firearm is “a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged”, but this always amused me as the word firearm is in the definition of firearm thus creating a little repeating loop, but technically these parts can’t fire anything so what’s the story? I’m particularly interested the legality of lower receivers for FN FALs as I have come across a source of cheap Rhodesian lowers and I think it might be a good investment.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Bill

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hello,
    I’ve been browsing the internet recently and I stumbled across several parts kits for AR style rifle and for FN FAL rifles and I was wondering would these kits constitute a firearm?
    Yes.
    I know in America
    I'l stop you there lad, America is a whole different kind of animal and not in the slightest bit relevant here. I don't say it like that to be a dick, but if you work on the basis that America is opposite land to Ireland, you'll be on a better footing as to what is and is not allowed here.
    The legal definition of firearm is “a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged”,
    Not quite.

That is part A) of section one of the firearms act (1925). There are parts B) through H) as well as subsections to each part, specifically part G) which reads:
    (iii) any object —

(I) manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and

(II) without which it could not function as originally designed,
    So technically and legally speaking a trigger spring is a firearm. Only an example, but you get the idea.
    I’m particularly interested the legality of lower receivers for FN FALs as I have come across a source of cheap Rhodesian lowers and I think it might be a good investment.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Bill
    There is no issue with you doing so, just its a long process and it requires licensing before you import the pats, not after. The other problem is, as i said above, Ireland is in no way like America in that such parts would not be available over the counter so you would need to import most if not all the parts and because of the need for a license for them (one license would suffice) means you would need to license a (example only) 223 semi auto rifle then import the parts using that license and depending on where you order an actual import license from the DoJ and have each part engraved/etched with the serial number of the receiver and then assemble.

There is so much more to it, but as said it's not in the least bit impossible, just a more work. Most people in Ireland tend to go the fully built route, in that they buy a complete rifle, but i do know a few that have done this (import and assemble) and i hope they'll be along shortly to give their advice and experience.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ANNDDD Good luck importing those parts...
    As most of these are scrapped selectfire military weapons that were exported from the EU to the US for that very reason.You will have lots of fun and a snowballs chance in Hell in re importing a EU designated CAT A[Prohibited] firearm back into Ireland.

Even in the US these kits can be a problem to own in some cases to own,unless you actually have a selectfire NFA firearm matching the kit,or you have dumped out a whole mess of parts and submitted US semi auto parts.And I mean dump literally.You cannot have any of the selectfire parts at all in your possesion or house or property if say,you had an AR15 built on a genuine M16 lower reciver,or a full auto bolt carrier in an AR15.

Even owning a parts kit and a book on building the gun can get you in hot water,as it is considerd INTENT,as many STEN gun parts kit owners found out to their cost.:eek:

Up to Sept 1st this year in Germany these kits are stil available,minus the barrel and bolt or bolt carrier head,depending on the model still as old poossesions before the new EU dictatorship directive kicks in.
    Some FAL part kits are available,but are stupid money like 1500 euros for well used parts,and now your next problem kicks in...What will these guns be calssified under the new EU directive??? CAT A prohibited because they are former select fire firearms converted to semi auto only?Or CAT B civillian sporting rifle with a 10 shot mag? So unless you can get Inch pattern UK SLR parts kits which were only ever semi autos,which are as common as a piebald unicorn... Then get someone to certify it to EU acceptable stds that it is CAT B as well.There is no one here in Ireland that can do this according to the DOJ.

In short its alot more complex and costly than it first seems.Dont want to pee on your parade on this but its kind of a non runner here.:(

However fear not. If those FAL recivers you have found are new in the raw and were never issued or have serial numbers of any kind on them or used or registerd as military firearms anywhere.They can be used to build new CAT B civvie firearm,and there are plenty of gunsmiths willing to pay top dollar for them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Cass wrote: »
    Yes.

I'l stop you there lad, America is a whole different kind of animal and not in the slightest bit relevant here. I don't say it like that to be a dick, but if you work on the basis that America is opposite land to Ireland, you'll be on a better footing as to what is and is not allowed here.

Not quite.

That is part A) of section one of the firearms act (1925). There are parts B) through H) as well as subsections to each part, specifically part G) which reads:

So technically and legally speaking a trigger spring is a firearm. Only an example, but you get the idea.

There is no issue with you doing so, just its a long process and it requires licensing before you import the pats, not after. The other problem is, as i said above, Ireland is in no way like America in that such parts would not be available over the counter so you would need to import most if not all the parts and because of the need for a license for them (one license would suffice) means you would need to license a (example only) 223 semi auto rifle then import the parts using that license and depending on where you order an actual import license from the DoJ and have each part engraved/etched with the serial number of the receiver and then assemble.

There is so much more to it, but as said it's not in the least bit impossible, just a more work. Most people in Ireland tend to go the fully built route, in that they buy a complete rifle, but i do know a few that have done this (import and assemble) and i hope they'll be along shortly to give their advice and experience.

Thanks for the information anyway. True, America is a whole different ball game to Ireland but I was just using it as an example and I would have mentioned Britain but I just forgot to, so I hope that clarifies things. I appreciate the corrected definition as the one I had was the original 1925 one and I didn’t know it had been amended.

Apart from building a rifle, is there no way for me to buy just the lower receiver for a FAL? It’s just that it’s at a very reasonable price and it’s interesting to have one from such a historical area and conflict. The one I found is only for sale until the first of October because of some German legislation being implemented, which is probably why it’s so cheap, so realistically would I be able to get it legally (obviously I don’t want to be breaking the law).

Thanks again,
    Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[

Apart from building a rifle, is there no way for me to buy just the lower receiver for a FAL? It’s just that it’s at a very reasonable price and it’s interesting to have one from such a historical area and conflict. The one I found is only for sale until the first of October because of some German legislation being implemented, which is probably why it’s so cheap, so realistically would I be able to get it legally (obviously I don’t want to be breaking the law).

Thanks again,
    Bill[/quote]

First of SEPTEMBER 2020!!!Yeah its the Germans finally implementing the EU firearms directive.You could possibly hold it under a Supers permission as a Deactivated firearm.Its not a liscense as such,just a Supers acknowledgement that you own a Deactivated firearm.Which in that case you might as well have the whole thing rather than just the half of it?
    Just make sure you get a German proof house or state acknowledgement letter to state it is deacted to EU standards as otherwise they will demand it is sent to the UK at your cost to prove such as we dont have a proof house or anyone capable of doing such in Ireland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

If you want to collect something, collect bayonets or something similar, way less hassle. It only takes an over zealous firearms officer, super or chief super and the whole thing becomes a waking nightmare, with things like firearms components, especially components from full auto military rifles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement