Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remodelling a concrete fireplace

Options
  • 11-06-2020 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey,

I'm currently renovating a house I bought. The open fire has a concrete surround and hearth. It previously had dated tiles that I knocked off along with as much of the adhesive I could.

I'm looking to get a smooth contemporary finish on it. I've asked my.plaster is it possible to plaster but he said you'd need a 6" gap from the edge of the fire opening to where the plaster starts. Otherwise it would be too hot there and crack the plaster. I've also rang another plasterer who said fire cement is a disaster to put on he's yet to meet a plasterer who could do a good job.

I'm wondering could I throw normal cement over whats there at the moment and try get the smoothest finish I can. Has anyone tried something like this?

Cheers

Advertisement