Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC Request

Options
  • 11-06-2020 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Heya folks! I am once again requesting informed insight and support from all you hardware gurus, I've built my own PC's before but I haven't kept up with hardware changes and new norms the past number of years unfortunately. Would very much appreciate your feedback.

1. What is your budget?

Preferably under €1,000 but I'm willing to go a tad over if it makes things pop.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?

Mainly gaming, sometimes video editing, I'd love to get back into particular games like Squad that use the Unreal engine and require good single core performance, which my old cpu was really weak on.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?

No, I still have keys for Win 7, 8 and probably could upgrade to 10 easily enough using them I'm guessing, though I've always held off on upgrading to newer windows due to the history of bugs or privacy issues, no idea if 10 is now considered stable/preferable for use now.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?

Yeah I can possibly still use my case, PSU, cpu cooler, monitor and hard drives. I've listed my current specs below, you might have a better idea of compatibility issues or if any of it is just obsolete and I'd be better off investing in something new.

5. Do you need a monitor?

No I don't think so, my current monitor has 1920x1200 native and I'd imagine is still grand? I'm not too fussed about freesync or 4k gaming, is it really worth it for the extra investment?

6. Do you need any peripherals?

No, all my current peripherals are fine.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?

Yes possibly, but I'd imagine that would require extra investment in cooling infrastructure, such as water cooling? So I'd probably prefer to save the cash.

8. How can you pay?

I don't mind bank transfer but preferably visa debit card or paypal.

9. When are you purchasing?

I'm in no rush but I'd imagine in the next week or two. I read there are new cards coming out that I wouldn't mind waiting for but isn't there always something new around the corner?

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 AM3+ 3.5GHz (w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 120 mm)
    Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, AM3+, ATX
    GPU: GIGABYTE Nvidia Geforce GT 710 2GB GDDR5
    RAM: 2 x 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile PC3-12800U CL9
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R, ATX, MicroATX, 210 x 430 x 497
    PSU: Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W
    HD/SSD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s & one ancient 50GB SSD I use for my OS.
    Monitor: Iiyama Prolite E2607WS

One thing I'm concerned about PSU wise is how my current one only has 2 x 6+2 pin PCIe cables, I understand most of the decent current GPU's will need a bit more so maybe the PSU isn't up for the job.

Also I've had quite a bad history with AMD graphics drivers for many of the games I've played, so unless things have changed a crap load in the past few years, I'd have more of a preference for nvidia cards if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Heya folks, I'm thinking about something like this, if anyone can think of any better alternatives or insight I'd much appreciate it:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ygr6zN

It all seems compatible with my current PSU, I tried to get the best possible nvidia GPU without going too crazy, I was won over by the 3x fan setup regarding cooling on that particular 2070. I understand there are new GPU's slated for September but I'd rather not wait that long.

I might be spending too much on the B550 motherboard, given how I'm unlikely to use any of its improvements too much for what I'll be using it for, such as SSD speeds. But I felt perhaps it's best to go with it to future proof a bit, it's supposed to support some next generation cpu's into the future. Plus the extra lanes can't be a bad thing into the future? There are cheaper 550's but they're all out of stock.

Advertisement