Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Sockets

Options
  • 11-06-2020 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

I want to install a few extra sockets in my house (17 years built).

I know I can do the work myself as well as any electrician would do it, or would I need to have a qualified electrician do the work?

Are those round junction boxes still in use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Up Donegal wrote: »

I know I can do the work myself as well as any electrician would do it, or would I need to have a qualified electrician do the work?

Depends whether they fall within the remit of Minor Works. (It is quite likely that they would, but impossible to state definitively without knowing precisely what's involved.) That said, the work should still be done by a competent person and in compliance with the National Wiring Rules (and inspected, tested and verified).

Round junction boxes need to be secured (they have fixing holes) and cables entering securely clipped to provide strain relief. Ideally they should also be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance. They're probably not the best solution at all. (Bakelite junction boxes are largely a thing of the past.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

You only think u will do it as well as an electrician

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As a general rule it is best to avoid using junction boxes (where practical).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    That said, the work should still be done by a competent person and in compliance with the National Wiring Rules (and inspected, tested and verified).

I share your view that this work should be tested but it is not requirement for minor works by a competent person. This was something that I asked the CRU directly (it was CER at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

2011 wrote: »
    I share your view that this work should be tested but it is not requirement for minor works by a competent person. This was something that I asked the CRU directly (it was CER at the time).

It's a strange one

Sums up a lot of the difference between Irish and UK rules

There's a lack of detail in a lot of scenarios here. Add a socket or sockets and no need to test anything.

• Advertisement

Chicoso wrote: »
    It's a strange one

Yes, here is the email

Advertisement