Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mugging Attempt On Elderly Woman

Options
  • 12-06-2020 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Elderly woman (80s) suffered broken shoulder in attempted handbag snatch on Merchant's Quay

AN 82-year-old woman had her shoulder broken in an attempted handbag snatch in Cork city.

The woman had travelled to Cork from Limerick to buy items in Michael Guineys on Oliver Plunkett Street yesterday.

She was walking along Merchant's Quay from the bus station on Parnell Place at around midday when a bicycle pulled up alongside her.

The cyclist attempted to snatch her handbag but she managed to hold on to it.

The cyclist fled when the woman fell to the ground.

Another woman nearby went to the woman's aid and the elderly lady continued on her way to Oliver Plunkett Street to make her purchases.

However, she started to feel unwell and on returning to the bus station, she notified a bus inspector of what had happened to her.

The inspector raised the alarm and she was taken to hospital, where it emerged that her shoulder was broken as a result of the incident.

The woman returned home to Limerick this morning.

Gardai are now appealing for help from the public.

They say the suspect was wearing a grey hoodie.

They are appealing for anyone who was around the Merchants Quay area around 12 midday on Wednesday, particular road users with video footage, to contact Anglesea Street Garda Station on 021-4522000.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Elderly-woman-80s-suffered-broken-shoulder-in-attempted-handbag-snatch-on-Merchants-Quay--75281a04-6c6a-4a73-a953-8bbfa3453342-ds

Cork seems to have gotten awful rough, in the past couple of years, and i say this as a proud Cork man who loves Cork a lot.The city obviously needs extra garda numbers.Things are quite obviously very bad in town right now, with regards to heroin related crime, and street drinking etc.I don't mean to go all negative on Cork here like, it has it's good and it's bad like everywhere.But the city right now is a pale shadow of it's former self, and i find that quite sad.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

There's a lot of positive change over the last 10 years, loads more cafes, resturaunts, population increase, jobs growth, a real vibrancy about the centre but the scourge of the chronically addicted ruining the city centre experience for everyone else is simply not being tackled.
    My wife and kids went into town last Tuesday for some shopping and they all came back giving out about the experience and anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Horrible incidents like this always cause anxiety amongst people. I'm 50 and have lived most of those years in Cork City. I live in the city centre.

Honestly the main thing I've noticed over those years is that people always think that the present situation is much worse than before.
    In 10 years time people will be saying that it's way, way worse than it was in 2020, just as they did in 1980 and in 2000.

Personally, I think the 80s were dog rough in Cork but that might just be my experience at that age. Nowadays, I feel perfectly safe in the city but that may be that a 50 year old man doesn't attract trouble, much.

There's always been crime, violence, alcoholism, drugs and homelessness on the streets and there probably always will be.

Phases of more visible antisocial behaviour sometimes flare up but, generally, in my experience, crime has remained at a similar rate in the city for decades.

Official crime figures would give a fair view, I'd imagine - much more so than anecdotal views and selected reports.

Basically, as a city centre dweller - it's grand.

BTW, I, obviously, feel terrible for that woman and I hope the scrote is caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Personally, I think the 80s were dog rough in Cork but that might just be my experience at that age. Nowadays, I feel perfectly safe in the city but that may be that a 50 year old man doesn't attract trouble, much.
    You're spot on Cork in the 80's was way rougher.

Considering the hardman, keyboard warrior threats issued to BLM protesters for not obeying Covid measures and socia distancing, perhaps this woman's attacker was a vigilante enforcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

rebs23 wrote: »

It was very rough back then. Bishop Lucey Park was a no go. Both sides of Patrick’s bridge had about 20 beggars looking for cash. Poverty/ homelessness back then was much worse.

• Advertisement

It was very rough back then. Bishop Lucey Park was a no go. Both sides of Patrick’s bridge had about 20 beggars looking for cash. Poverty/ homelessness back then was much worse.

I remember seeing a guy get robbed at knife point by a girl outside St. John's college.
    I was on a bus, it was around 5 or 6 pm. Early 80s, I'd say.
    What sticks out in my mind is that I don't recall it being that big a deal at the time - just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

A lot of unemployment at the time and general depression id say although don't recall the city being rough only blackpool around the flats was dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

I wasn't alive in the 80s so I cant compare, but that doesn't take away from the fact that its still very rough now, regardless of the 80s, 90s or 00s.

There was a lovely atmosphere in the city last Christmas when they had all the extra guards on, there does need to be more of a presence. not only in the city center itself but on the northside and togher/barrack st areas too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mattdhg wrote: »
    I wasn't alive in the 80s so I cant compare, but that doesn't take away from the fact that its still very rough now, regardless of the 80s, 90s or 00s.

There was a lovely atmosphere in the city last Christmas when they had all the extra guards on, there does need to be more of a presence. not only in the city center itself but on the northside and togher/barrack st areas too

The problem with the guards is that there's never a consistent presence.
    Every few months someone wakes up and launches Operation Something or Other to great fanfare all over the news whether for community policing, gang crime or speeding or what have you.
    Same with guards all over deserted trains during lockdown, they won't be seen for dust when normal service resumes.

Pathetic.

Mattdhg wrote: »

I'd be all for a greater Garda presence and less crime and violence. Who wouldn't be?
    I still wouldn't consider Cork to be rough, despite recent incidents. All cities have crime and violence and always have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Elderly-woman-80s-suffered-broken-shoulder-in-attempted-handbag-snatch-on-Merchants-Quay--75281a04-6c6a-4a73-a953-8bbfa3453342-ds

Cork seems to have gotten awful rough, in the past couple of years, and i say this as a proud Cork man who loves Cork a lot.The city obviously needs extra garda numbers.Things are quite obviously very bad in town right now, with regards to heroin related crime, and street drinking etc.I don't mean to go all negative on Cork here like, it has it's good and it's bad like everywhere.But the city right now is a pale shadow of it's former self, and i find that quite sad.

Cork I know and love is well gone, junkie / beggars have taken over, no law on beat, why? Where's tbe bloody Garda presence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

rebs23 wrote: »

Coo on no way,I'm 61 and categorically state it's a dump now ,at least there were Gardai on the ground in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hope she makes a speedy recovery but she went against the Covid19 guidelines by going to a different county.

I thought the elderly were the most at risk of dying from the virus.

It doesnt excuse the actions of the scumbag that hit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mikeym wrote: »
    Hope she makes a speedy recovery but she went against the Covid19 guidelines by going to a different county.

I thought the elderly were the most at risk of dying from the virus.

It doesnt excuse the actions of the scumbag that hit her.

They're only unenforceable "guidelines" at this stage. You would wonder do they have any shops in Limerick city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

whats so awful is that she was just going about her business and in addition to a horrific attack now has to have surgery which for an 80 year old carries huge risks, will have months or years of pain and restrictions in basic tasks and with 1
    in 4 Irish healthcare workers having Covid 19 will have a huge risk of catching it - and we al know the government has precluded treatment in ICU for many elderly because of their points system for selecting best candidates.

I hope they catch this vermin and beat him/her to a pulp. No court date necessary.

whats so awful is that she was just going about her business and in addition to a horrific attack now has to have surgery which for an 80 year old carries huge risks, will have months or years of pain and restrictions in basic tasks and with 1
    in 4 Irish healthcare workers having Covid 19 will have a huge risk of catching it - and we al know the government has precluded treatment in ICU for many elderly because of their points system for selecting best candidates.

I hope they catch this vermin and beat him/her to a pulp. No court date necessary.

Now, some of this is a bit hysterical.
    Hospitals are extremely quiet at the moment, there is plenty of capacity, icu and otherwise.

I don't know where you got your figure about 1 in 4 health care workers having Covid - 19, but it is staggeringly wrong. There is not a huge risk of catching the virus whike in hospital.

Tell us more about this "points system" we all, allegedly know about. I'm not aware of it - please enlighten me.

My 90 year old mother broke her hip over the Easter weekend. Guess what? She received excellent treatment and despite being in two hospitals for almost 6 weeks, she didn't contract the virus and was tested for it twice. I'm not sure that there has been any documented cases of people picking up the virus in Irish hospitals.

I also wish this woman well and a speedy recovery.

I also hope that the perpetrator is caught.

I don't understand your statement about no court date being necessary, I think the full rigours of the law should come down on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They're only unenforceable "guidelines" at this stage. You would wonder do they have any shops in Limerick city though.

A person from Limerick comes to Cork to get mugged! What is going on with Cork?

Coo on no way,I'm 61 and categorically state it's a dump now ,at least there were Gardai on the ground in the 80s

I'd say the ole memory isn't what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I dont know what its like these days for kids, but go back 15-20 years when I was hanging around town and we always had trouble. There is alot of addicts and junkies about now but I've never had a problem with them and I'm living smack bang in the centre for the last 11 years.
    I don't think the city is anymore rough, its just we live in age where every little incident gets coverage across the media and social media.

An attempted mugging isn't significant, its a slow news day clearly.

I am absolutely for a larger Garda presence though, we don't see enough of them on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope the poor lady will be ok

There is a Guineys in Limerick

I think a lot of scumbags are minors now as they think if caught I'll get off slap on the wrists, no prison too young etc.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,263 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When I moved back Cork in 2013 it was terrific place to live, but slowly it just seemed to get worse and worse.

Lack of Garda on street was big issue. Love Cork but dont miss being gone from the City now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

New garda task force to tackle this type of crime, a Sgt and 10 beat officers on mountain bikes, does not fill me with any great expectations.

Advertisement