Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ET101 earth bonding - mechanical protection

Options
  • 12-06-2020 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Good morning,
    I'm looking for answers to these two questions about Ireland ET101 standards, since I can't seem to find specific indication:

- Should the metal frame of a plasterboard wall /drywall positioned inside a room of a building be earthed as a main equipotential bonding?

- Wirings positioned inside a wall at a depth of less than 5cm must have metal plate as mechanical protection, what thickness should this metallic plate have?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

FabTec wrote: »
    Should the metal frame of a plasterboard wall /drywall positioned inside a room of a building be earthed as a main equipotential bonding?

It should remain unbonded in my opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

FabTec wrote: »
    Wirings positioned inside a wall at a depth of less than 5cm must have metal plate as mechanical protection, what thickness should this metallic plate have?

I do not believe that there is any requirement for a metal plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Unnecessary bonding of parts which are not actually extraneous-conductive-parts can actually reduce the safety of the installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

Chicoso wrote: »
    522.8.14 covers it afaik

"Metal partitions concealing or traversed by wiring...must be bonded to the nearest protective conductor"

Annex 52F covers this area in relation to metal partitions and protection of concealed wiring, it's mostly common sense

Chicoso wrote: »

"Metal partitions concealing or traversed by wiring...must be bonded to the nearest protective conductor"

You are correct.
    I have never seen this done to be honest so I had thought it was not a requirement. However it is generally fortuitously bonded via raised computer floor and / or ceiling grid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

The other query about metal plates , there's no reference to that but there's rules on concealed wiring in bathroom zones and elsewhere, they're in the annex there

Those rules don't come into play much ime as you're generally keeping concealed wiring back more than 50mm around bathroom zones

Elsewhere you'd be conforming to standard runs for buried or recessed wiring

Advertisement