Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums without a single bad track on them

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just had some notion to listen to Violent Femmes start to finish for the first time in over 30 years.

I don't think there is a bad track on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

IMO Purple more than Core for me as a album without a bad track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Iron Maiden - Seventh son of a Seventh Son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,490 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Was going to post a similar thread topic as we had this discussion in the boozer the other night, when someone asked each person at the table to name 10 records where each track was a "banger". And it wasn't as easy as you'd imagine. In any case, I managed to narrow it down to the below, after some time changing my mind and switching out numerous albums.

Anyway...in no particular order...

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Depeche Mode - Violator

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Nirvana - Nevermind

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have four of those albums somewhere in my collection, but the only one I can definitely say that I like all the tracks is Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. Violator by Depeche Mode comes very close - still can't make up my mind about Sweetest Perfection!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,490 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, Dark Side of the Moon is definitely Pink Floyd's greatest record for me. But, TBH, I was never really a fan of theirs. I like the first half of The Wall, but over all it's a pretentious load of twaddle with very mediocre tracks. But Dark Side is one of those albums that I can put on and just lie down and listen to all the way through.

I suppose that was the essential criteria for my top ten. Each of those albums I can just put on Side A, track 1 and go right to the end. Of course there are numerous others too, so that list is probably subject to a lot of changes. 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Great list although IMHO The Queen Is Dead dips a bit with Never Had No One Ever and Vicar In A Tutu. I prefer Isn't Anything to Loveless but both are great.

More for me

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Prince - Sign Of The Times

Dexys Midnight Runners - Don't Stand Me Down

The Style Council - Our Favourite Shop

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

Japan - Tin Drum

Serge Gainsbourg - L'Histoire De Melody Nelson

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour

U2 - Achtung Baby

Pixies - Bossanova

The LA's - The LA's

Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills & Bellyaches

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

U2 The Joshua tree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

John Grant - Queen of Denmark

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell

Radiohead - OK Computer

Crowded House - Together Alone

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭BOSTIK

Lou Reed - New York

Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Loving Dexys midnight runners - "Don't stand me down". Great shout 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭thebronze14

QOTSA - Songs for the Dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Blondie - Parallel Lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ok Computer is a great album, but, really, have you ever thought to yourself at any point in time - "Wow, I would absolutely love to throw on Fitter Happier now, and immerse myself in its beauty". It sounds like Stephen Hawkins on acid.

This thread is to discuss an album that doesn't have a sing bad track on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yeah, OK Computer is great but I nearly always skip that one. Electioneering doesn't do much for me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I hated that "track" for the longest time especially when it was first released. I love it now. Might be a nostalgia thing but I think it's trippy and creepy as hell and quite enjoy it. I'd never skip it now. I voted for that album too despite that track being lower than Marmite. I'm not really a fan of Climbing up the Walls but I wouldn't call it bad either.

Most of my absolute favourite albums have a single bad song on them. That would have been an easy list! 🙂

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

At the Drive-in - Relationship of Command

QOTSA - Rated-R

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Arctic Monkeys - AM

Rancid - And out come the wolves

Neil Young - Harvest

Turnstile - Glow on

Weezer - Ok Human

Deftones - White Pony

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Tame Impala - Currents

Ghost - Meliora

Beastie Boys - License to Ill

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Sugar - Copper Blue

And to show you that I really mean business...

Andrew WK - I Get Wet

Ya, I cannot think of any album that has no bad song. The closest for me would be a Sigur Ros album - maybe "the brackets" album. But I am extremely biased on that one, as I am a fanboy. My other closest would be Whipping Boy - Heartworm . But I don't really like the song Blinded. But then again, I wouldn't class it as a bad track. So it would probably get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup, a great album and a great cover. Ridiculously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I like (), takk and ‘med sud i ……’ but the sigur ros album that is regarded as their classic, and a 10/10 is ‘Agaetis Byrjun’. It’s one of the greatest albums of all time.

• Advertisement

Ya, I know Agaetis Byrjun is excellent. I could listen to Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása forever. But for me I prefer () - probably because it is the first of their albums that I got. Song 8 is the best composition of a tune that I have ever heard. And e-bow. I couldn't pick a bad track on the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Cure - Disintegration

Only if you consider Last Dance and Homesick as non-canon bonus tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I also say to people that song 8 on () is the greatest song ever made. And to experience it live when they were at their peak in the mid to late 2000s was a near out of body experience.

Ya, I've been to a fair few gigs, but nothing will ever top that last 15 minutes or so of the Olympia gig in 2005 - Popplagið with the transparent curtains down. And lights flashing everywhere. I have seen them 3 times since, but the bigger venues (and outdoor in Kilmainham) doesn't do justice.

https://www.hotpress.com/music/sigur-ros-live-at-the-olympia-dublin-2840089

New album is growing on me too. But to be honest, I don't know where Sigur Ros go from here, if they continue. The could continue with the same pattern and produce nice transient type music, but there is a risk that it will just fade into mediocrity. Or could they do a Radiohead type complete makeover????? I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I already mentioned

Leonard Cohen - I'm your man

I would suggest the following albums also which I would happily play from start to finish. Soo basically they have no dud tracks.

Simply Red - Stars

David Gray - White ladder

Moby - Play

The Waterboys - Fisherman's blues

Def Leppard - Hysteria

Tom Petty - Full moon fever

Travelling Wilburys - Volume 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I had/have copies of White Ladder, Play, Fisherman's Blues and Full Moon Fever. The only album amongst those where I liked every single track is Play by Moby. White Ladder and Full Moon Fever have some very good songs and are both excellent albums, but I did not like all of them. Fisherman's Blues is a more patchy affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Stone Roses- Stone Roses.

Ocean colour scene- Moseley Shoals.

Suede - Dog Man Star

Whipping Boy - Heartworm

Deftones - White Pony

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tetre

as a standalone its nothing special to say the least, but in the context of the whole album i think it works really well. its placed perfectly and plays into the reoccurring concepts of technology and dissatisfaction with life.

anyways heres a few of my picks:

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There

the grandiose instrumentation and then-leadsingers vulnerable writing and vocals lace an intricate mesh of fragility and triumph that'll build you up and tear you back down again. every piece of this 7 person ensemble falls into place meticulously and creates a one of a kind listen.

Recommended tracks: Concorde, Haldern, Basketball Shoes

Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain

this one grew on me exponentially with each listen. every track is filled with so much personality and charm, all backed up by amazing production and prince giving it 110%

Recommended tracks: Purple Rain (obviously), When Doves Cry

System Of A Down - Toxicity

i'm not a metal head, this was actually the first metal album i ever listened to. but it doesnt require a metal attuned ear to appreciate. great vocals, great writing that delves into political and naturalistic themes, great album.

Recommended tracks: Prison Song, Toxicity, Forest

David Bowie - Blackstar

a dark dive into bowies life, career and mortality. even so late in his career he was uncovering new sounds and styles to create a tightly packed swansong.

Recommended tracks: Blackstar, Dollar Days

Radiohead - In Rainbows

in rainbows feels like the culmination of radioheads years of experimenting into a supernal experience that feels larger than life. its hard to put into words the landscape the band create. if you can imagine adam watching god build nature around him in bewilderment, thats how this album feels to me, especially on tracks like nude, reckoner, house of cards and videotape.

Recommended tracks: Weird Fishes, Reckoner, Videotape

• Advertisement
Advertisement