Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless + Solar combo for broadband

• 12-06-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Since Coronavirus I have found myself marooned on the side of a mountain with the worst form of 3G imaginable, 2-3mb with frequent drop-outs.

I own a property located in the nearby village which has 100mb eir vDSL available, however this is currently rented out, otherwise I'd just move there. This house has perfect line of sight to the mountain (again my own property) and from there to where I am in this old farmhouse.

I was thinking to get the phoneline activated in my village house and beam the broadband wirelessly to the mountain and back down to the old house.

The main challenge so far seems to be electricity on the mountain-top to run the 2 antenna which would be required there. It would take a 1,300 metre cable run to get power there so I'm not even thinking of that.

What I have in mind would be one or two batteries, a solar panel and the neccesary charging regulator etc.

I would use 4 of these antenna or something similar in the license free 5.8Ghz spectrum.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ubiquiti&qid=1591963082&sr=8-3

Not your usual run of the mill question but I wonder if anyone here has attempted similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

theguzman wrote: »
    Since Coronavirus I have found myself marooned on the side of a mountain with the worst form of 3G imaginable, 2-3mb with frequent drop-outs.

I own a property located in the nearby village which has 100mb eir vDSL available, however this is currently rented out, otherwise I'd just move there. This house has perfect line of sight to the mountain (again my own property) and from there to where I am in this old farmhouse.

I was thinking to get the phoneline activated in my village house and beam the broadband wirelessly to the mountain and back down to the old house.

The main challenge so far seems to be electricity on the mountain-top to run the 2 antenna which would be required there. It would take a 1,300 metre cable run to get power there so I'm not even thinking of that.

What I have in mind would be one or two batteries, a solar panel and the neccesary charging regulator etc.

I would use 4 of these antenna or something similar in the license free 5.8Ghz spectrum.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ubiquiti&qid=1591963082&sr=8-3

Not your usual run of the mill question but I wonder if anyone here has attempted similar?

These Unifi devices are wireless access points for indoor use.

You would need to look at the Ubiquiti AirMax products to achieve your goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

What distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Can you get ANY 3g or 4g signal where you are.
    Last week I installed a 4g tp link router in the wilds of Donegal. Using a GOMO sim, it is pulling 6 meg down and 3 up. It may be capable of more if the router is sited differently or an external aerial is fitted.

This is perfectly ok for the use required of it. Previously the user could not even run a facebook video call as she was using a normal vodafone sim in her phone. Now it is super duper perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

These Unifi devices are wireless access points for indoor use.

You would need to look at the Ubiquiti AirMax products to achieve your goals

Just for illustrative purposes, not fully decided what antenna I will use yet.
    What distance?

1.5km to the mountain top and 7km (as the crow flies) to the village house and Eir connection.
    Can you get ANY 3g or 4g signal where you are.
    Last week I installed a 4g tp link router in the wilds of Donegal. Using a GOMO sim, it is pulling 6 meg down and 3 up. It may be capable of more if the router is sited differently or an external aerial is fitted.

This is perfectly ok for the use required of it. Previously the user could not even run a facebook video call as she was using a normal vodafone sim in her phone. Now it is super duper perfect.

I have 2 bars of 3G Eir gomo and it is awful, it is the only network I could get, do you have a link for the router you installed. Right now I am just using a spare phone at a window as a hotspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

1.5km to the mountain top and 7km (as the crow flies) to the village house and Eir connection.

I have 2 bars of 3G Eir gomo and it is awful, it is the only network I could get, do you have a link for the router you installed. Right now I am just using a spare phone at a window as a hotspot.

7km is alot.

2bars where ? In the house ?

Do you have an antenna externally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

7km means you are going to need at least Ubiquiti Powerbeam

https://www.ip-sa.com.pl/ubiquiti/PBE-5AC-Gen2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

This is what we got. https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/tp-link-ac750-wireless-dual-band-4g-lte-router-archer-mr200/version.asp

Popped in a gomo sim which has an 80 gig data limit for 12.99 a month. It has made a huge difference. You can also buy external aerials which increase reception. Something like this. https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtp+link+aerial.TRS0&_nkw=tp+link+aerial&_sacat=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Whats the name of the village, if you don't mind me asking?

Advertisement