Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding microphone to a headset

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

have a look at modmic there are a few versions

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

have a look at modmic there are a few versions

Thanks didn't know about them. Just to clarify there's no ability to plug in a mic to these, it would be a small tube to connect to the existing hole on the muff. Is that even possible, if so what would the boom be called as such?

Chelon wrote: »
    Thanks didn't know about them. Just to clarify there's no ability to plug in a mic to these, it would be a small tube to connect to the existing hole on the muff. Is that even possible, if so what would the boom be called as such?

I don't think that would be possible. I've never seen it anyway. If you are thinking about the sort of thing that security or news readers wear for earphones, if you were to attach a tube to your current headset mic in the same manner, the quality would be awful; cans of beans and string style

there is a bluetooth modmic if that would work for you. Presuming the device you're using would be able to connect to both of them at the same time

I don't think that would be possible. I've never seen it anyway. If you are thinking about the sort of thing that security or news readers wear for earphones, if you were to attach a tube to your current headset mic in the same manner, the quality would be awful; cans of beans and string style

there is a bluetooth modmic if that would work for you. Presuming the device you're using would be able to connect to both of them at the same time

ok I thought it was a long shot lol. BT mic sounds interesting though I find with the headset it only wants to connect to eg laptop or phone at once so that might be an issue.

I think I might be forced down the route of buying a much higher spec headset though, probably north of €300.

ok I thought it was a long shot lol. BT mic sounds interesting though I find with the headset it only wants to connect to eg laptop or phone at once so that might be an issue.

I think I might be forced down the route of buying a much higher spec headset though, probably north of €300.

I just had a look there, you should be able to have them both connected at the same time, modmic just say to put the transmitter on the opposite side to the transmitter for your headphones (usually left side).
    it could be a not too expensive option and you can bring a modmic to a newer headset then if you ever upgraded.

I have a beyerdynamics mmx 300 gen 2 with a built in mic. Sound quality is good and the mic is very good if you have an interface which can provide plug in power (I use a little scarlet solo with phantom power on and a rode vxlr+) all in there yeah you're looking at over 300, and with everything zoom / discord etc do to your voice, I might as well be using a much much cheaper solution. And it's not wireless. Pretty much every call with new people they all without fail mention how clear my voice is though so it's not totally useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

look for jabra or plantronics headsets, they usually have noise cancelling built in as well as a boom microphone (not cheap though)

Looks like the modmics are around $100 or so? I get feeling I will bite the bullet and have to invest in a new headset. Thanks for the suggestion but I can just see issues with the modmic, one more thing to carry around and keep charged, possible probs with BT connectivity and maybe call quality etc, correct me if I'm wrong.

look for jabra or plantronics headsets, they usually have noise cancelling built in as well as a boom microphone (not cheap though)

It's not actually for gaming, I work in a noisy environment so need ear defenders (the Worktunes are fine for that) but also ability to take phone calls. Noise cancelling in my experience don't really work plus I don't want elecronics buzzing round my skull 8 hours per day 🙄

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's not actually for gaming, I work in a noisy environment so need ear defenders (the Worktunes are fine for that) but also ability to take phone calls. Noise cancelling in my experience don't really work plus I don't want elecronics buzzing round my skull 8 hours per day 🙄

Bad ANC doesn't really work, no, but actual, proper ANC - the kind you pay a bit more for - works exceptionally well....too well sometimes :pac:

Not sure what you mean about electronics buzzing around your skull?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Modmic isnt designed for that (I have a modmic), you need a set of Peltors. You won't like the price but theyre what you need.

https://www.craigmoreonline.ie/3m-peltor-ws-protac-xpi-headband

Bluetooth, usable mic. Optional rechargeable and AA batts for a pinch. Your employer should buy them for you, suitable to stand under a 737 with.

Bad ANC doesn't really work, no, but actual, proper ANC - the kind you pay a bit more for - works exceptionally well....too well sometimes :pac:

Not sure what you mean about electronics buzzing around your skull?

I've tried Bose noise cancellers and I'm not sure if they needed tweaking but I wasn't impressed. With ANC they need to be powered on to work, hence the electronics buzzing round the skull. With Peltors they will work as standard muffs all the time, I'd only switch them on when making/taking calls, that's my hope anyway

ED E wrote: »
    Modmic isnt designed for that (I have a modmic), you need a set of Peltors. You won't like the price but theyre what you need.

Bluetooth, usable mic. Optional rechargeable and AA batts for a pinch. Your employer should buy them for you, suitable to stand under a 737 with.

Yeh I'm almost resigned to Peltors now, don't want to throw good money after bad. I'm sure they're very good, are there any other options? It's such a shame re the Worktunes as for the money they're great but without a usuable mic then fairly pointless...

ED E wrote: »

This on the other hand could be a bargain!

https://www.best4systems.co.uk/peltor-ws-protac-xpi-headband.html

:pac: c'mere you never said you operated a jackhammer or worked on the tarmac at the airport in your first post of the thread, I thought by noisy environment you meant working from home with children in the background

Na it's data centre work around 90Db max but constant

Just looking at the Peltors - they do look good but far as I can see they only come with AA batteries which you need to charge externally.

If you want to charge the thing via USB (which is a must for me) you need to shell out for an extra battery pack and cable

https://www.best4systems.co.uk/peltor-ack053-rechargeable-battery-pack.html

https://www.best4systems.co.uk/peltor-fr09-charging-cable-for-ack053.html

That's over €80, it all just seems a very expensive and clunky solution just to be able to charge via USB.

Anyone know if there's a way round that or any other more user-friendly headsets out there?

Advertisement